Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Pedal steel heaven.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 26/07/2009 : 05:49:17
Many greats have gone there........but I'm referring to where we go when we hear a great pedal steel guitarist play!! So--finally we have our TOPIC--- pedal steel angels...pick it!!!

So who puts you in pedal steel heaven?

I'll start with New Riders Of The Purple "Haze" (Sage HA!...but his is so good)...Buddy Cage on pedal steel. This reunion cut is amazing and the steel sounds like some psychedelic stringed thing like I've never heard....10+ minutes of heaven--GARDEN OF EDEN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAln2Fs61vA

Let's here 'em all...playing with Papa Nez to Poco to Burritos...you name 'em and give us all a vid!!

bob f. Posted - 14/07/2010 : 23:08:25
pedal steel .....yayyyyyyy!
it has the pedals which bend and massage the strings, giving the sounds psychedelic, multi-dimensional ingredients. The harmonics are out of this world , and sound often like whistles and flutes, with heavenly harmony. Dobra is beautiful. it's all good.

...what the world needs now...
rocker Posted - 14/07/2010 : 14:15:04
From what I can gather of those instruments, on a very simple basis the "dobro" is just a steel without pedals.......but from the looks of the topic we can talk all day on the "dobro" and what it is.

Too bad Johnny couldn't pick up a steel. He should've went to the Palomino and stole one....
lemonade kid Posted - 09/07/2010 : 15:50:26
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

and it's such a big what-if for me if Love had used the steel in maybe some of their songs..but i should be bhapy that they managed to used mariachi horns...I guess they just were a bunch of urbanized LA guys, eh?????.....

Remember (in Forever Changes) Johnny said he searched for a steel guitar to use on "Bummer In The Summer" to get that countrified feel, but couldn't find one anywhere at the studio (and he said he didn't want to buy one for just ONE track)....he knew country was coming on and it would have been another early country foray, this time by LoVE; it was not to be--but no PEDAL steel in their dreams, it seems.

Question: what is the difference between a dobro and the pedal steel?

I always loved Rusty Young on dobro but it sounds the same mostly, though Rusty gets sounds out of his dobro like I have never heard anywhere else. He is amazing. Remember side two of their second album "POCO" with that almost side-long track...the dobro is magic.

rocker Posted - 09/07/2010 : 13:57:48
and it's such a big what-if for me if Love had used the steel in maybe some of their songs..but i should be bhapy that they managed to used mariachi horns...I guess they just were a bunch of urbanized LA guys, eh?????.....
lemonade kid Posted - 02/07/2010 : 23:34:02
Listening to Pap Nez today.....his Calico Girlfriend has so much upfront
pedal steel, Red, I think with pedal to the metal. A great one for sure.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SarFTj_Ojs

MikeP Posted - 15/08/2009 : 04:55:54
My favourite piece of pedal steel would have to be 'Death and Destruction' from NRPS's 'Gypsy Cowboy'. An apocalyptic behemoth of a track. My hat's forever off to Mr. Cage for that one... I think there's a version on Youtube. Good shout re. Gordon Huntley, Rocker. Mustn't forget the great B.J.Cole either.. still in demand, think I last saw him backing Paolo Nutini on t'box a few weeks ago. I also will always have a soft spot for the pedal steel on Jefferson Starship's 'Blows Against The Empire' .. holds up pretty well. Garcia? Also recommend the sublime pedal steel - IIRC by Daniel Lsnois's brother - on Brian Eno's 'Apollo' - the soundtrack for NASA's 'For All Mankind' film, recently aired on UK TV several times for Apollo 11/40. One of the most beautiful humbling films ever made. Music to match.
lemonade kid Posted - 10/08/2009 : 23:59:47
Jerry Garcia really lets loose on his inventive pedal steel here...
the pyschedelic country rock classic from New Riders' first LP!!

Dirty Business
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJdq0OcRK3o

Written by the amazing Marmaduke Dawson. The visionary for NRPS.

rocker Posted - 04/08/2009 : 14:33:57
What a great artist singing about our country and the people livng their lives...is he folk? is he country? Not sure but he's a songwriter who tells stories!...
lemonade kid Posted - 04/08/2009 : 07:43:46
John Prine (LOVE him!!) used the pedal steel to great advantage.....Bruised Orange

From Live Sound Stage 1980 DVD--a must!! rocker!!...with a story about the song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFD2wZaBciY

bob f. Posted - 02/08/2009 : 00:55:39
lk: i just watched the "pedal steel jam" from your link!
NOW i understand , " they CAN'T push the pedal steel to the background"! 4 pedal steel guitars, bass,and drums ! yow!

...what the world needs now...
lemonade kid Posted - 01/08/2009 : 18:36:36
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

I just emailed the great Buddy Emmons, who did a lot of the sessions in L.A. in the late 60s up to the mid 70s, about the sessions he did for Judee Sill in 1971 and 73.
On one song "The Archetypal Man", Judee scats a fast,Bach-like vocal line, which is immediately followed by a wailing pedal steel solo by Buddy in a country waltz feel.
It's the most trippy thing I've ever heard- Country/Baroque music!
He also made a great pedal steel jazz album with Lenny Breau called "Minors Aloud" where he wails away on a fast modal Coltrane-type tune-equally trippy!

I'll have to get out my Judee Sill and listen again! I'm always so blown away by Judee, I don't hear everything else!

sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 01/08/2009 : 04:39:41
I just emailed the great Buddy Emmons, who did a lot of the sessions in L.A. in the late 60s up to the mid 70s, about the sessions he did for Judee Sill in 1971 and 73.
On one song "The Archetypal Man", Judee scats a fast,Bach-like vocal line, which is immediately followed by a wailing pedal steel solo by Buddy in a country waltz feel.
It's the most trippy thing I've ever heard- Country/Baroque music!
He also made a great pedal steel jazz album with Lenny Breau called "Minors Aloud" where he wails away on a fast modal Coltrane-type tune-equally trippy!
rocker Posted - 28/07/2009 : 15:18:05
...LFTS...a fine song..

And speaking of the Eagles isn't it interesting that really they didn't pay hardly any attention to the steel...just a guitar/vocal and drum based band. It's like they left their roots...for rock glory.

lemonade kid Posted - 27/07/2009 : 21:34:31
Love Rick...grew up with him and Ossie & H. Rest in peace.....

Not sure if PEDAL steel enters, but as with most of Jackson Browne's work, you hear either pedal steel guitar or slide or some kind of ethereal steel guitar going on. With genius multi-instrumentalist David Lindley you never knew what great backup he would bring to the table, but that steel sound is everywhere.

Late For the Sky is his opus and my favorite and there's a nice bit of steel guitar going on throughout. Of course Jackson jump-started a lot of careers--most notably the Eagles, with his tunes and influence.....and they never forgot it. just look at the line-up on "Late for the Sky"--
Dan Fogelberg
Don Henley
David Lindley
Perry Lindley
Terry Reid
Fritz Richman (jug )
J.D.Souther
and a long list of guest vocalists and percussionists.....

Listen to the steel on "The Late Show"....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhUH_XrFseg&feature=related

How to get that lonely heart-tugging steel sound was not lost on Browne.

rocker Posted - 27/07/2009 : 18:42:00
Very good lk..thanks for shaking the apples out of my tree with the personnel!.....
Yes, I thought Rick had a good band there. I enjoyed his stuff with them. Country was a natural progression for him wasn't it? If it wasn't for his untimely death perhaps he could've taken country and rcok to another place in the scheme of musical things, eh? I've been also listening to his earlier stuff. What a professional. Ozzie & Harriet sure helped him out!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page