Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Dylan at Number One in the UK

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 04/05/2009 : 12:00:23
The BBC have just announced that Bob Dylan's latest album has edged its way into pole position in our album charts. By all accounts, this has not happened since 1970's New Morning - I must admit, I would have thought that Blood on the Tracks and Desire were up there as well but apparently not.

Bob Dylan in my view, was one of the first to break the rules about song structure - so that his highly poetic vision could be expressed in free verse. Without him, there would have been no Rubber Soul....and no Forever Changes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8031636.stm
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 13/05/2009 : 23:33:26
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

It's on Sirius-XM Satellite for subscribers. Go to www.bobdylan.com
for samples of the show and a sweepstakes the site is running for a
Dylan catalog, a signed copy of "Together Through Life," and a year's
subscription to Sirius-XM. It's a pretty cool show, and Bob obviously
has an excellent staff working with him to make it as strong as it is.

Ya very strong, Rick. Thanks. I'll see if that is in my DTV/XM package.

By the way, how's the smoke? I heard the evac orders have gone away......

SignedRW Posted - 13/05/2009 : 22:13:53
It's on Sirius-XM Satellite for subscribers. Go to www.bobdylan.com
for samples of the show and a sweepstakes the site is running for a
Dylan catalog, a signed copy of "Together Through Life," and a year's
subscription to Sirius-XM. It's a pretty cool show, and Bob obviously
has an excellent staff working with him to make it as strong as it is.
lemonade kid Posted - 13/05/2009 : 21:15:49
Does anyone know where I can find Dylan's radio hour show that he does.....on the net? Where is the station located where he does that reknowned show?

lemonade kid Posted - 12/05/2009 : 04:36:24
Did any of you get the Limited Edition Box set?
Along with the music CD, included is an hour long DVD: "Lost Interview" with Roy Oliver AND an extra CD called:
Theme Radio Hour is Hosted by Bob Dylan Tonight's Episode: Friends and Neighbors.

It's an hour long "show" with Bobby as a far out FM radio host sharing his favorite music with, get this:

Porter Wagoner
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
T Bone Burnet
Doc Guidry
Moon Muligan
Jerry McCain
George Jones & Melba Montgomery
Howlin' Wolf
Little Walter
Carole King
Ronnie & The Delinquents
The Rolling Stones
Hank Williams as Luke The Drifter
...and WAR!!

pretty cool mix and Dylan's commentary about his featured artists and their history is just plain FUN.

bob f. Posted - 08/05/2009 : 22:57:00
he'll get no sympathy from ME!

...what the world needs now...
rocker Posted - 08/05/2009 : 14:23:49
So how's he doin'?????...
bob f. Posted - 07/05/2009 : 00:06:58
although I have no use for "Rollingstone" magazine, the recent Dylan interview is really good! just skip the other trash about Green Day, The Ya ya yas, and indi bands of the week product, and enjoy Dylan's latest thoughts. hell, i didn't buy it, i just read the mag at Barnes & Noble book store.

...what the world needs now...
rocker Posted - 05/05/2009 : 18:18:04
ah...The Beatles and Dylan...what a duo, eh? You know Dylan's comment on the Beatles just showed how he could separate myth from the underlying reality that he saw in them and their music at the time. I guess it held him in good stead because he's been knocked around but still manages to stay sane really after the pressure he was usually under in perhaps being what others wanted him to be. Looks as if his "It aint me babe" surely was his response!...
John9 Posted - 05/05/2009 : 09:37:38
Lemonadekid - Don't Look Back is a classic....along with the same director's Monterey from a couple of years later. It is fascinating to note that in the Dylan documentary, some of his young followers are having difficulty with his new material even as early as 1965. Subterranean Homesick Blues is a case in point. Somebody once mentioned to me that immediately after the Free Trade Hall, Manchester concert they saw Dylan give a rendition of the yet to be recorded Just Like A Woman - at a small, informal gathering....although I've never been sure that I actually believe this! As we know from our Gethsemane discussions, the most elaborate mythologies can be woven from strands of half truths. Of course there's no mistaking the infamous 'Judas' comment from 1966 - that too was from the Free Trade Hall, Manchester...captured for posterity on the erroneously entitled "Royal Albert Hall Concert". Mind you, even with that, it would now appear that the guy who shouted out the insult has multiple identities!
lemonade kid Posted - 04/05/2009 : 23:22:30
You guys probably got the Dylan deluxe box...limited edition, too! 2CD/DVD with sticker.....found it on amazon for $15.....

Should have it in a week! Watching the '65 doc "Don't Look Back" again.
It was selected in 1998 for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress--"culturally, historically or aesthetically
significant". I'm guessing you all have it.

Hey john...Dylan's last album opened on Billboard at #1 here.
Speaking of breaking song structure...did you know that the Beatles "She Loves You" was the first pop song to OPEN with the refrain?!!
I remember an interview with Dylan in '65 (?) where he speaks highly of the Beatles (being one influence that led him to go electric) but , he said, "they aren't a simple rock band.....complex chord structures like no one had done before"...he loved them. You know the story about Norwegian Wood/Forth Time Around Lennon-Dylan interplay.

i love that press conference where Paul answers a question about Norwegian Wood supposedly being about a lesbian & Day Tripper about a prostitute....

Q: I'd like to know your intent when writing them.

Paul: We just wanted to write songs about lesbians and prostitutes. That's all.

..very Dylan-like answer. They DID have fun with the press!!

John9 Posted - 04/05/2009 : 20:52:28

Yes, Rocker - I like the contrast you've drawn between Dylan and Seeger. The latter seemed to identify himself more closely with specific causes. Around the time of New Morning, a fellow student explained to me that It Ain't Me Babe was really addressed to those political movements that might have seen Dylan as a spokesman. And didn't Country Joe write in one of his songs something to the effect that "We missed you out on the streets, Bobby"?
rocker Posted - 04/05/2009 : 14:31:30
Intersting take john on Dylan one of the greatest modern artists we've got. Hearing his records give us his soul through all the years. Listening to his voice now and what he sings about give us all an indication of what he's gone through in his life just like us. I wonder if he's a as world weary as he makes it out to be. I ahve the feeling the next record's gonna be a Dylanesque gospel compilation!

Not sure how far away he's from 90 but Seeger's celebrating his birthday. Kind of always on the straight and narrow Seeger with his philosophy and views. I though Dylan and him a bit different with Seeger more of a prosleytizer to his cause. Dylan he'll throw up stuff at you but he's too lazy and smart to tell you what to do. It's "here's what I've done" and now go figure it out in your life!... Don't look to to me to be yer weatherman!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page