Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 SPIRIT

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 12/02/2009 : 19:14:22
Definitely good enough for their own subject here. Spirit fans?
I have recently acquired some never released titles..Eventide & Model Shop. Model Shop is especially good...from the (very bad) cult movie of the same name.

I just found something that, according to most guides (actually I haven't ever seen it listed), doesn't exist......Spirit's first LP, promo for radio play with the song title strip on the cover.....in MONO!!! The only ones that likely have seen this are DJ's like RW....so... my Spirit-lover friends are going crazy over this one.
It was never released in mono for commercial release. Nice. Can't wait to get this from my friend in Maine.....he finds something nice every weekend at the New England flea markets...guess I told you he has about 100,000 Lps in his record shop.....when I want something obscure, he likely has it.

What's your favorite SPIRIT LP.....even before this find, it's always been their first.

Rob Dudda Posted - 17/02/2009 : 21:56:19
The only time i saw Randy was Oct.4th 1979 as support to the Ian Gillan band,i still have the ticket stub...although it just says Gillan in concert plus tour support,but i'd read in the N.M.E. that Randy california/Spirit would be the support{the only reason i went}

A great performance

Twelve dreams is my favourite but i find Future Games has its moments
lemonade kid Posted - 17/02/2009 : 21:19:12
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid
I once read that for some concerts Spirit would enter one artist at a time-from various parts of the hall...both sides, down the isle from the back, and so on.....maybe Cass first, then John until they were all there.....building to a full blown explosion. Anyone ever see a show like that ?? Also read that Cass had the biggest drum kit in the world!! along with timpani/congas etc!!

The one and only time I saw Spirit was in Bristol on the Rapture In the Chambers tour in 89(???). They did a double header with Wishbone Ash (the real one, not the two half-hearted ones as now). The deal was Ash would headline in the UK and Spirit in the US. Out came Cassto a standing ovation - place erupted before he had even played a note and it was obvious that most of the people in the front half of the room were not there for Ash. Then, if memory serves, John Locke, then Mike Nele one at a time to get the groove going. Still no Randy. Then we heard the guitar - unmistakeable as ever - but couldn't see him. He entered from the back of the stalls, walking down the aisle playing. Then, without missing a note, took a run at the stage and jumped up onto it. One of the best hours of live music I have ever experienced - and I'm not ashamed to say I fought back the tears in Nature's Way.

We spent teh whole break talking to the band at teh merch table and didn't bother going back in for the "main band" for half an hour. Ed and Miek were particularly nice to chat to and Randy seemed a bit benused (and possibly irritated) by the fact that the audience seemed to be there for them and they were only opening. The whole band signed my album poster and I just wish I'd had a camera there to record it.

Oh, and if you haven't guessed, while I love the first two albums, Sardonicus is still my favourite.

That's so fantastic. boomer. I love to hear about that kind of show. When a band knows who put them there and they give the show of their life every time....it's so appreciated by us all!!!

Natures Way is the best. I also love Clear...Dark Eyed Woman & New Dope In Town, & Give A Life ....so many great tunes!!

So influential & we all have heard the story of how Led Zep opened for Spirit on their first tour...Jimmy was so inspired by Randy's guitar playing that he admittedly lifted the iconic descending notes for "Stairway" from Spirit's "Taurus". And Bonham was inspired by Cass' bare handed solos....& later made it his trademark.

boombox Posted - 17/02/2009 : 18:25:03
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid
I once read that for some concerts Spirit would enter one artist at a time-from various parts of the hall...both sides, down the isle from the back, and so on.....maybe Cass first, then John until they were all there.....building to a full blown explosion. Anyone ever see a show like that ?? Also read that Cass had the biggest drum kit in the world!! along with timpani/congas etc!!

The one and only time I saw Spirit was in Bristol on the Rapture In the Chambers tour in 89(???). They did a double header with Wishbone Ash (the real one, not the two half-hearted ones as now). The deal was Ash would headline in the UK and Spirit in the US. Out came Cassto a standing ovation - place erupted before he had even played a note and it was obvious that most of the people in the front half of the room were not there for Ash. Then, if memory serves, John Locke, then Mike Nele one at a time to get the groove going. Still no Randy. Then we heard the guitar - unmistakeable as ever - but couldn't see him. He entered from the back of the stalls, walking down the aisle playing. Then, without missing a note, took a run at the stage and jumped up onto it. One of the best hours of live music I have ever experienced - and I'm not ashamed to say I fought back the tears in Nature's Way.

We spent teh whole break talking to the band at teh merch table and didn't bother going back in for the "main band" for half an hour. Ed and Miek were particularly nice to chat to and Randy seemed a bit benused (and possibly irritated) by the fact that the audience seemed to be there for them and they were only opening. The whole band signed my album poster and I just wish I'd had a camera there to record it.

Oh, and if you haven't guessed, while I love the first two albums, Sardonicus is still my favourite.
Rob Dudda Posted - 16/02/2009 : 20:37:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmKHrWMMNug
lemonade kid Posted - 15/02/2009 : 19:03:23
By the way, the story about the final reunion show (1975?) where California pushed a drunk Neil Young away from the microphone while Neil was trying to join in for the final encore.....was actually a case of mistaken identity. Neil was sporting a new haircut and Randy mistook him for merely a drunk audience member.

Ferguson & Locke did recognize him and thought Randy was having an ego flare-up so they walked off the stage. Ex-Step Dad Cass left his drum kit to smooth things over and came over to mike and they all finished the encore of Like A Rolling Stone with Young, but unfortunately, the damage was done and that was the end of the reunion. At least that's the story, not that Randy was just an asshole...not true...a great guy in reality. Drowning while trying to save your son takes a man with a large heart. RIP Randy. A guitar god & songwriting genius of the first magnitude!

I still like to think of them by their original name, Sprits Rebellious, for their groundbreaking music.

I've always loved the long instrumental on Spirit...."Elijah". What a showcase for Randy, Cass, Locke and Andes!! I read that Ferguson, though the lead singer/percussionist for Spirit, could play just about any instrument when needed. Plays piano for Jo Jo Gunne. He wrote the musical score for The Office (US). Still working.

John Locke passed in '06. RIP

lemonade kid Posted - 15/02/2009 : 17:46:09
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

LK

Back when "The 12 dreams..." first came out, Spirit came to Philly to do a gig. Back then, some concerts at The Spectrum were billed as 'dance concerts', and so there would be no chairs on the floor. Just a roving crowd of a couple thousand on the floor, plus another 15,000 seated in the stands. Spirit played "12 dreams" in its entirety from start to finish. When they got to Natures Way (song # 2), the roving crowd all turned toward and rushed the stage. It was like everyone recognized the song instantly, and as if on cue, all turned and ran towards the stage. Sitting in a seat and taking it all in, it was one of my most memorable moments in concert going. Spirit has always ranked in my top ten favorite bands...they were just awesome

Allan"

WOW, Alan! An event for sure. Like a Pretties "SF Sorrow"
concert. Nice. I wish I had seen them, but I didn't have a way to get to the concert only 45 minutes away. I shoulda' hitched!!

Allan Posted - 15/02/2009 : 17:01:14
LK

Back when "The 12 dreams..." first came out, Spirit came to Philly to do a gig. Back then, some concerts at The Spectrum were billed as 'dance concerts', and so there would be no chairs on the floor. Just a roving crowd of a couple thousand on the floor, plus another 15,000 seated in the stands. Spirit played "12 dreams" in its entirety from start to finish. When they got to Natures Way (song # 2), the roving crowd all turned toward and rushed the stage. It was like everyone recognized the song instantly, and as if on cue, all turned and ran towards the stage. Sitting in a seat and taking it all in, it was one of my most memorable moments in concert going. Spirit has always ranked in my top ten favorite bands...they were just awesome

Allan
lemonade kid Posted - 13/02/2009 : 21:17:03
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

Tough one there LK. I like the self-titled a lot, but seem to prefer 'The Family that Plays Together" as my favorite. I used to play 'Aren't you Glad' followed by "Dear Mr. Fantasy' (Traffic) back to back often.

Allan

I never get tired of "Aren't You Glad"...just love that break where the piano comes back in, then tambourine, as it all slowly builds again....gets me every time!!

I remember back in '69 a pretty good cover band did "I Got A Line" and afterwards talked about seeing Spirit the week before...the lead singer said he liked their hit, but the rest of Spirit's stuff was crap....HA!! Needless to say, I walked out to enjoy a band down the street with better taste and a brain!!

Allan Posted - 13/02/2009 : 19:50:24
Tough one there LK. I like the self-titled a lot, but seem to prefer 'The Family that Plays Together" as my favorite. I used to play 'Aren't you Glad' followed by "Dear Mr. Fantasy' (Traffic) back to back often.

Allan
lemonade kid Posted - 13/02/2009 : 17:26:40
So you got me listening to Clear Spirit......Dark Eyed Woman,Give A Life, Take A Life, & New Dope In Town...but all are great. I love all four LPs & it seems whichever I'm listening to is my favorite. Not a weak one in the group.

lemonade kid Posted - 13/02/2009 : 05:34:58
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i'm playing "the family that plays together". a strong beginning track, "i got a line on you"!, and followed by the cool vibe, "it shall be". i have all the 1st 4 cds, and like em all. i like the 1975, "son of spirit", on vinyl. that one is different, and special!

...what the world needs now...

Also "Darlin' If" & "Aren't You Glad" , but strong overall!! I do love them all too, bob.
The first album is more of a sentimental favorite as I still have my original copy that I bought in 1968, but also i can still remember when I first heard it---nothing like it had ever been on my TT.......
well, all four albums.....I bought at time of release. So nice.

bob f. Posted - 13/02/2009 : 02:18:11
i'm playing "the family that plays together". a strong beginning track, "i got a line on you"!, and followed by the cool vibe, "it shall be". i have all the 1st 4 cds, and like em all. i like the 1975, "son of spirit", on vinyl. that one is different, and special!

...what the world needs now...

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page