Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Three albums & you're on a desert island....!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 01/02/2009 : 18:03:04
So you're marooned on a desert island--- which three albums would you choose.....of course, you have unlimited power and a super TT and someone nice to share it with.
(Thanks to John9 for getting this so often asked question back in my head and now here!)

Forever Changes
Blonde On Blonde
Music From Big Pink ....Got my shades! Fire up the TT.

I'll change my mind tomorrow, but if it happened today, I would be happy.

lemonade kid Posted - 07/04/2009 : 17:11:09
I gonna have to have Nick Drake & Fairport Convention, but which....?
Holidays seems to be my fave right now & Nick's Bryter Layter...
Today!!

lemonade kid Posted - 27/02/2009 : 17:37:18
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk..if I'm not mistaken Nick Drake wasn't exactly very popular when he was first heard, right? Like FC, it took awhile before he made his mark.

Right, rocker. Didn't sell lps at all. He fought depression and insomnia throughout his life and was unable to perform live much. A tragic life for a gifted artist. Died so young. It took almost 30 years after his death and a VW commercial to really get him out there. Ironic. But he was always a huge influence on his peers and what a wonderful songwriter & vocalist. Not to mention his great guitar work with all those unusual open tunings.

rocker Posted - 27/02/2009 : 14:02:26
lk..if I'm not mistaken Nick Drake wasn't exactly very popular when he was first heard, right? Like FC, it took awhile before he made his mark.
rocker Posted - 27/02/2009 : 13:59:30
b ob..man that's a good record..I played it last week...Bakersfield..lotsa history in that town and the music it engendered...Chris Hillman's work in there reminds me of his "Morning Sky" album which was kind of "bluegrassy". Both evoke a time and a place for me...the music is great!
bob f. Posted - 26/02/2009 : 21:36:29
i add just one recording: " The Theme From A Summer Place" by Percy Faith. it's personal.
another album i add, snuck in,.. is, " Bakersfield Bound" by Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson. i need pedal steel, and this one has Jay Dee very loud and proud throughout, not just as ambience background. it rocks and makes me happy.
lemonade kid Posted - 19/02/2009 : 18:12:33
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

and so lk on the Stones..what do u think of High Tide and Green Grass on de island??????...

A nice pick, rocker! Who picked that crazy limit of THREE!!! "Buffalo Springfield Again" for sure!! ....and Pet Sounds!

Well, we book a cruise & fill our steamer trunks with our gotta-have LPs and cross our fingers....we'd have quite a party even if it didn't sink.

I'm adding Nick Drake!! ....for those beautiful breezes and the swaying palms....gulls soaring overhead.

rocker Posted - 18/02/2009 : 21:19:53
and so lk on the Stones..what do u think of High Tide and Green Grass on de island??????...
jayson_valentine Posted - 16/02/2009 : 11:12:51
Forever Changes
Benefit - Jethro Tull
Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues
lemonade kid Posted - 13/02/2009 : 21:24:37
Listening to "Exile On Main Street"....I told ya I'd change my mind daily. Stones don't get any better than this!!!

Speaking of Hanks...remember Joe & The Volcano? OK, we all get a steamer trunk like Hanks used for a raft. Of course ours has a better load of...LPs, TT & solar battery..... & plenty of Perrier!!

bob f. Posted - 11/02/2009 : 22:24:06
well, since he was fixated on his Wilson basketball, Hanks coulda sang some Brian Wilson, Jackie Wilson, (Blind Owl) Alan Wilson main song writer of our L.A. brewed Canned Heat! "goin to the country, got to get away!"

...what the world needs now...
rocker Posted - 11/02/2009 : 15:20:20
and speaking of a desert island...I watched the "Castaway" with Tom Hanks....well he wasn't a desert island record aficionado..music wasn't there at all in his head!....at no time....poor guy...he could've hummed "Travelin' Man" or something...
bob f. Posted - 08/02/2009 : 23:18:33
OH NO! i have the only copy of Beach Boys' "Smile" that Brian Wilson secretly pressed on vinyle. and the secret Johnny Echols Project recorded after F.C. in 1967 with Arthur Lee and Bryan Maclean, and the mythical lost Beatles album recorded at Abbey Road , 1967, after Peppers, and before Mystery Tour, for which Lennon said, "these songs are too good to be released. Man.... we made just one copy, and it's our best music , ever! it's pure magic!" they were on vynle then after i made the sea-shell turntable (a 2 year job!), they turned into CDs! SIHT!!!

ed the bear Posted - 08/02/2009 : 06:09:35
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

like in a Twilight Zone episode we would have our wish of all those great albums on the Island....with no turntable!
we'd have to make some kind of Flintstones device of a big old sea-shell speaker and some seagulls running on a treadmill for power!

It's worse than that. The albums are on CD!!!
Time to start building that raft.
rocker Posted - 04/02/2009 : 14:55:22
Since you guys went to Blonde on Blonde, I thought I'd revisit it since I haven't heard some of the tunes in a while...well...all I can say is that Dylan hit the heights there...I was just struck listening to "Sad Eyed Lady"... great choice...then from there I went to Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts!
rocker Posted - 03/02/2009 : 14:34:55
man this is tough!....what do you pick on? the songs? the feelings the songs engender? the times they connote????..
Anyway so with Fc...

The red album..Beatles..the "hits"...keeps you reelin' and a rockin'
For some variaton..handel's concertos..I've always thought he was a rocker's classical composer...
And the Byrds tunes..mr. Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn , Goin' back! and My Back Pages..but I'll have to cheat a bit..I'll probably sneak on some Irish ceili stuff.....for the parties.....

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page