Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Led Zep 1st LP released 40 years ago.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 13/01/2009 : 02:22:13
My favorite Led Zep cover and album-- still. What's your favorite LP and Zep memory.

boombox Posted - 16/01/2009 : 14:28:45
Well, like many, it was Stairway, which got me into Zep. Had heard the song a few times and loved it, but then a mate said, hey, I can show you how to play the intro. It inspired me to pick up the guitar again after an eight year lay-off following 6 weeks of lessons as a ten year old. I'm still playing 25 years later, so I guess it will always be important to me.

Favourite Zep moment though had to be Live Aid, when I stayed up to watch the Zep set live. When they started playing Stairway, it was hard to fight back the tears as I had never believed I would get the chance to hear/see it live. (Had the same emotion the first and only time I got to see Spirit do Nature's Way in Bristol in 1989.) Hell, I could even forgive Phil Collins ****ing it up and coming in too early!
ed the bear Posted - 16/01/2009 : 02:51:38
"Babe I Got to Leave You" is the one that grabbed me. Dunno why, I didn't even have a girlfriend at the time, but it made me weep.
lemonade kid Posted - 15/01/2009 : 23:01:03
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i like that Houses of The Holy cover art.
one of my favorite records is " Kashmir".

...what the world needs now...

Ya, bob, Kashmir was next on the track list of the boxed set, so when it started to play & I went. "wait, that's my fave!!! So it goes..."

bob f. Posted - 15/01/2009 : 22:25:03
i like that Houses of The Holy cover art.
one of my favorite records is " Kashmir".

lemonade kid Posted - 15/01/2009 : 18:50:24
Hey john......Zep II is my second favorite. Houses of the Holy, also.
I did the same thing with that track, but then, I lay down between speakers a lot back then!! it blew my mind too, but in a positive way!! Bad trip, john??!!

Listening right now to Mothership....that wonderful boxed set of four LPs that was produced by Jimmy Page with tracks selected by Zep....what a beautiful boxed set...artistically & musically. When The Levy Breaks playing now. Nice. (Half-Speed remastered... with remastering supervised by jimmy p.)

If I were to pick a favorite track, it would have to be No Quarter.
Still gives me shivers...that other worldly sound, guitar, vocals.

Alone Again Posted - 15/01/2009 : 14:51:17
I love that first album but its hard to choose a favourate because every time I listen to Physical Graffiti I love it more and more. My only experience with Led Zeppelin is my girlfriend ringing me a few times during their reunion in the 02, I could hear Stairway a little :P
rocker Posted - 15/01/2009 : 14:16:56
Just want to metnion that there's a dvd out on Led Zep called "Down the Tracks". Goes into how they developed their "sound" taking into account all the kinds of music they were influenced by, i.e. blues,jazz rockabilly,skiffle,rock,folk. Pretty fascinating to see how Page, Plant etc made their great music that we've all come to appreciate through the years.
bob f. Posted - 15/01/2009 : 02:53:43
i love that " No Quarter -unledded" Page/Plant record.
it's as if all these years they were striving to reach that organic/world sound. then , .....this. Led Zep is AWESOME!
AND this offshoot is a certain segment of their music.

John9 Posted - 15/01/2009 : 00:19:17
Led Zeppelin Four (if that is what it was really called) is definitely my favourite. Stairway To Heaven and the Sandy Denny collaboration, Battle Of Evermore are for me their definitive tracks. I had an unfortunate experience with Led Zeppelin 2 - a friend of mine who had just acquired stereo equipment......we are talking now 1970.....insisted that all his guests try it out so that we who were still confined to mono could see what we were missing. 'Trying it out' actually meant lying on your back with your head between the two speakers - whilst he played a track from the said album. The song in question involved a guitar sound rolling back and forth across the speakers like an accelerating motorbike. I don't remember the title - it doesn't matter - I never want to hear it again. I've got the CD for the sake of completion, but I never play it. I can't help thinking that the dramatic change in style and sound between Out Here and False Start had something to do with Arthur getting into the Zepps around this time - the live version of Stand Out sounds to me very like them.

"In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings"
lemonade kid Posted - 14/01/2009 : 23:46:36
quote:
Originally posted by Bobinbed

I love the first, second and third album the most. Favourite cover is Led Zeppelin 3 (the one everybody hates!) :-) As for Zep memories, I never got to see them.

- "What do you mean it's a literary high?"
- "It's a Kafka high. It makes you feel like a bug."

Hey Bobinbed....My brother saw them on that first tour...they played at our university Memorial Union (stop me if I told this before).
No one had heard of them before and he came home raving about this amazing band where the drummer played solos with his bare hands, an amazing guitarist and some crazy song about a "lemon"!! Then I bought the LP. Never been the same.

"Good Times Bad Times" for me Rocker.

rocker Posted - 14/01/2009 : 15:27:40
hey lk..when I first heard 'Communication Breakdown', that song went into my bones!.........
Bobinbed Posted - 14/01/2009 : 00:30:29
I love the first, second and third album the most. Favourite cover is Led Zeppelin 3 (the one everybody hates!) :-) As for Zep memories, I never got to see them.

- "What do you mean it's a literary high?"
- "It's a Kafka high. It makes you feel like a bug."

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page