Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Neil Young Archives

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 18/12/2008 : 16:10:45
I've just come across (on Spin) the following link to a Canadian trailer concerning the forthcoming release. It is interesting to see a brief reference to Neil's long time admiration for The Shadows' Hank Marvin.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rHh8baT2Y
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 25/12/2008 : 16:22:49
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I've never had the chance to hear that legendary original mix on Neil Young's first album. It's a pity because that is my favourite one from him .....closely followed by 'Nowhere', 'Goldrush' and 'Harvest' - it is amazing just how many of the finest singer-songwriter albums came from precisely that period.....Ladies Of The Canyon, Blue, Tapestry, Songs of Love and Hate et al.

One recent CSNY related release that I've never seen mentioned on this site is Stephen Stills' collection of acoustic demos from 1968. As you'd expect there are some early versions of what were soon to be recorded songs for the first CSN album. But also included are compositions that were actually recorded three or four years later...songs like Change Partners and So Begins The Task. That guy was working at white heat back then.

Stills is one of my favorites too. That early demo release got past me. Thanks for the heads up.
John, I love Neil's first LP best also. Do you or a mate have a cassette deck?? Email (PM) me and I'll be happy to get a cassette recording of Neil's first LP to you!! You gotta have it!!

John9 Posted - 24/12/2008 : 15:10:55
I've never had the chance to hear that legendary original mix on Neil Young's first album. It's a pity because that is my favourite one from him .....closely followed by 'Nowhere', 'Goldrush' and 'Harvest' - it is amazing just how many of the finest singer-songwriter albums came from precisely that period.....Ladies Of The Canyon, Blue, Tapestry, Songs of Love and Hate et al.

One recent CSNY related release that I've never seen mentioned on this site is Stephen Stills' collection of acoustic demos from 1968. As you'd expect there are some early versions of what were soon to be recorded songs for the first CSN album. But also included are compositions that were actually recorded three or four years later...songs like Change Partners and So Begins The Task. That guy was working at white heat back then.
lemonade kid Posted - 23/12/2008 : 15:29:49
I agree with you, john, that Neil's early LPs need to be remixed to audiophile quality----especially his first LP. I bought that vinyl on the day it came out--- and a few months later Warner reissued a re-mixed version that I (& Neil) hate! Most have never heard the original mix. THAT absolutely needs to be fixed!!
I understand your reservations about shelling out for some redundant material. But will you open your purse & plunk the money down when you see the BOX??!! Wasn't there going to be a hard bound book included?

rocker Posted - 23/12/2008 : 15:14:31
You know I just want to say that I've read a bit about Neil and his life. He is without a doubt a musical genius and as he says with a gift that he always cherishes and bows to. He's had great success and great downers but he pushes on. I think music and life are lucky to have him. One basic thing about him is that nobody can pigeon-hole him. He's surely stands for freedom and individuality.
John9 Posted - 23/12/2008 : 10:55:38
Yes, I had heard that about On The Beach. But then the same could have been said of Tonight's The Night which of course received an immediate CD release along with most of the others. The irony is that originally, it was 'Tonight' whose release was delayed for a couple of years before it was sweetened up with a couple of 1975 tracks. I agree that the 1966-75 period is by far the most interesting - though one does have to admire the man's creative longevity. I just wonder though whether the Archives box set is the most efficient, or more importantly the most economical, way to bring the unreleased material to our ears. I do balk at the prospect of paying £220 for the collection when I only really want to listen to the previously unheard music. As I understand it, Massey Hall and Fillmore East will be included once again and so there will certainly be some superfluous duplication. I would have prefered to see re-mastering of the original albums (long overdue -they've done all of Joni Mitchell's) with the really good unreleased songs included as bonus tracks. The concerts could by the same token, become or remain as standalone releases. I remember Neil Young being interviewed by Record Collector during the very early 90s and he was talking about this whole project even then. He did say that some of the material to be included was of poor quality. Anyway, we shall see.........things may have changed.
lemonade kid Posted - 23/12/2008 : 06:31:34
It'll be on Blue-ray, rocker. I, for one, have only collected Neil's earlier years, mostly & sporadically, in the middle years.....more so again. But the early years interest me the most with Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Crazy Horse years. The BEST!!

As to his hesitancy on releasing "On The Beach" so late, digitally...I've read it was because it was such a personal favorite & its relation to the loss of his best friend (Danny Whitten) that he delayed so long. CDs were really pretty crappy until the last decade or so (quality-wise) & some were downright AWFUL!! When technology finally caught up to Neil's high standards, only then did he allow it to be issued in DVD quality audio, CD format.

I'll get the archives,---13 never-recorded tracks, and everything NEIL you could want in one set. Sugar Mountain, for me, only reaffirms my desire for the Archive set, J-9. Live at Canterbury 1968 is as pure & fresh a Neil Young recording as I could want....not a "skipper" track in the whole mix!

Man, if only Love had such a treasure trove of material to finally issue!!!

John9 Posted - 23/12/2008 : 00:14:35
Going back to Lemonadekid's point about Neil coming late to the digital revolution, I was always amazed that he refused to sanction the CD release of his classic On The Beach album for so long. I'm going to think really carefully before I invest in the forthcoming release. Having shelled out for Massey Hall, Fillmore East and most recently, Sugar Mountain, I'm beginning to ask myself the question "Well how much Neil Young do you actually need?". I think that there are two types of unreleased/box set projects: The 'Dylan type' - where because Bob was so prolific there was so much genuinely unreleased material...some of it of superb quality like the alternative Blood On the Tracks and Desire sessions. And then there is the 'Beatles type' - where so much of the material is already familiar but where we were being treated to it in an earlier, more primitive state. In a way, I saw the this year's 2CD version of Forever Changes as being a bit like that - with some of the mystique being lost. All this of course presupposes a rational mind at work. I see how it will be.....I'll be in town one day...I'll be at a loose end....and I shall go and blow my hard earned cash on this new bloody box set!! I do sometimes wonder whether there really is such a thing as free will.
rocker Posted - 22/12/2008 : 15:03:48
I think the video will be in blu-ray, right?
lemonade kid Posted - 22/12/2008 : 03:22:29
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I've just come across (on Spin) the following link to a Canadian trailer concerning the forthcoming release. It is interesting to see a brief reference to Neil's long time admiration for The Shadows' Hank Marvin.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rHh8baT2Y

The Trailer for the new archives is included on the second disk--DVD...(Besides having a hi-def audio version of the CD). Vol. I looks absolutely awesome. Can't wait.....10 CDs/DVDs of music, films, videos, articles...13 never before heard tracks...interactive features so you can explore write-ups, history, pics......while listening to the music uninterupted!!!!!!!

Neil finally embraced the digital age with a BANG---he waited until the technology was good enough, I guess!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page