Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 A Starr in is own right.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 28/11/2008 : 21:18:23
Ringo was a star long before the Beatles fame, as most know. John has said that the reason they sought him out was not only because he was the best drummer in the UK at the time, but because of the name recognition he would bring along. A record contract was the enticement that got Ringo to have any interest at all in joining The Beatles.

Steve Smith (voted #1 all around drummer five years running by Modern Drummer) is quoted:
"Before Ringo, drum stars were measured by their soloing ability & virtuosity. Ringo's popularity brought forth a new paradigm in how the public saw drummers. We started to see the drummer as an equal participant in the compositional aspect. One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for the Beatles' songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song."

Say what you will about the Beatles, even if you can't get past your dislike or apathy for the Beatles (although that is not something I can fathom...caryne )......one cannot deny the genius of Ringo's abilty & a revolutionary change to the drummer's role in a song's composition ----more personally, his contribution to MY mindset to the role of a drummer's part in the overall song .

What say ye....all?

lemonade kid Posted - 04/12/2008 : 14:37:28
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

...so did you guys have dreams of playin' at the Fillmore like some of my friends????...

OH Yeah!!

rocker Posted - 04/12/2008 : 14:25:40
...so did you guys have dreams of playin' at the Fillmore like some of my friends????...
lemonade kid Posted - 03/12/2008 : 05:19:15
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i bugged my neighbors by my drumming in my apartment years ago. i even had bath towels on the drum heads which didn't help much!
i had a 1965 Ludwig set 'cause i liked Ringo! i'm sorry for the noise, but happy for the fun!

...what the world needs now...

I had a silver Ludwig snare & a 1966 metallic red Gretsch kit. It was fun all right, bob.

bob f. Posted - 03/12/2008 : 03:01:13
i bugged my neighbors by my drumming in my apartment years ago. i even had bath towels on the drum heads which didn't help much!
i had a 1965 Ludwig set 'cause i liked Ringo! i'm sorry for the noise, but happy for the fun!

lemonade kid Posted - 02/12/2008 : 21:42:30
quote:

Cool, lk..I'm sure you "banged the drum all day"!

I can never understand the tolerance of my folks, rocker....me banging on my drum kit overhead, while they watched TV directly below, downstairs! Some quiet evening after a hard days work for them!! I didn't appreciate them at the time, of course. The neighbors were pretty cool about it too. They'd say, "you sounded good today".....a half o' block away. Ahhh....the 60's. Peace & love.

rocker Posted - 02/12/2008 : 15:12:34
Cool, lk..I'm sure you "banged the drum all day"!
lemonade kid Posted - 01/12/2008 : 21:39:16
quote:

Not sure about this in other parts...but in my early days with bands doing the local gigs a drummer's mettle was tested with you know "hehhehhehhh Wipe-Out"...they had to roll those sticks over the snares!.....

HA! Wipeout was my first solo!! Then In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida came later!!

rocker Posted - 01/12/2008 : 20:41:38
Not sure about this in other parts...but in my early days with bands doing the local gigs a drummer's mettle was tested with you know "hehhehhehhh Wipe-Out"...they had to roll those sticks over the snares!.....
lemonade kid Posted - 01/12/2008 : 16:43:31
quote:

I'm not up on "drummer and drumming" criticism but he seemed as if he did good work with the Beatles. And if I'm not mistaken didn't Baker and Moon get more accolades with their kind of more energetic "styles"? Anyway,his style looked liked it fit for John and Paul's work. And his work..nice work if you can get it. He didn't do too bad as a working class boy who used to play in skiffle bands...

Quite right about Baker & Moon & Mitch Mitchell among other greats.....theirs was a more out-there style of drumming you couldn't help noticing. I love those drummers still. I didn't appreciate Ringo's drumming so MUCH until decades later. At the time of their "peak" in the 60's he blended so well with the other bandmates that no one stood out like a Clapton or Hendrix or Baker. I guess that's the point. They weren't a solo style act with a band of superstars...like Cream. Like Love, they were all better together than they were apart, generally speaking.

It wasn't until the recent decade, or so, that I've grown to appreciate the unique and
invaluable contribution of each of the Beatle band mates. I've always admired Ringo's fills, though.

rocker Posted - 01/12/2008 : 14:33:31
I'm not up on "drummer and drumming" criticism but he seemed as if he did good work with the Beatles. And if I'm not mistaken didn't Baker and Moon get more accolades with their kind of more energetic "styles"? Anyway,his style looked liked it fit for John and Paul's work. And his work..nice work if you can get it. He didn't do too bad as a working class boy who used to play in skiffle bands...
caryne Posted - 29/11/2008 : 22:32:11
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

To be fair, the Lennon quip was made in reference (tongue in check) to the time Ringo quit in disgust over the bandmates' in-fighting during the White Album sessions. Paul played the drums on three songs, before they finally persuaded Ringo to return. He was at the least, an uncannily reliable drummer, being sited as messing up his drum part 11 or 12 times in the course of their entire recording career. The other members, as would be the norm,messed up on numerous occasions.

All the members, including John, have said many times, that Ringo was invaluable to the Beatle sound & was one of the best drummers in the world. Ringo's influence and innovative drumming technique (leading with the left hand, tunings etc) has actually grown over the years...being sited by numerous contemporary drummers.

Lastly, I'm not one to defend superstar (mis)behavior. Ringo has always been a good natured bloke and an honest guy....honest not obnoxious. If he seems insensitive to his fan base (always has acknowledged them positively)....well, he has been getting millions of fan letters for over 45 years & just maybe, he's saying in all honesty. "look, mates, I've always appreciated your love & I love you, but I can't read your letters any longer and still have a life." He's honest enough to not say I love love your letters, so keep em coming, as he throws them in the trash. He's real enough still, to remember his rough Liverpool childhood & serious illnesses, real enough to honest, maybe? Sounds like the kind of respect you give us with your honesty, caryne.

Just my thoughts to keep all things fair, or for the sake of argument.

Yes, I am well aware that Lennon was only making a joke about Starr's drumming. He's perfectly good enough as a drummer, I've heard much worse, just don't think he's up there as an 'all time great'.

As for the daft 'no more fan letters video', sorry, I just think it was stupid behaviour. Do you seriously think that he gets as much fan mail now than he did years ago? Part of me even thinks it was a bit of a publicity stunt to get his name in the news, after all he's a little bit 'forgotten' now (to the general public) compared to the other Beatles. Maybe I'm just being cynical here but I know many, many Beatles fans and I've not met one who didn't think he just came over as an arrogant git in that 'no more fan mail' video. All that 'peace and love' stuff just seemed so false. Let's be honest, he's not that busy these days is he and I doubt he's so poor that he couldn't afford a secretary to deal with the mail if he could be bothered.
lemonade kid Posted - 29/11/2008 : 20:13:54
To be fair, the Lennon quip was made in reference (tongue in check) to the time Ringo quit in disgust over the bandmates' in-fighting during the White Album sessions. Paul played the drums on three songs, before they finally persuaded Ringo to return. He was at the least, an uncannily reliable drummer, being sited as messing up his drum part 11 or 12 times in the course of their entire recording career. The other members, as would be the norm,messed up on numerous occasions.

All the members, including John, have said many times, that Ringo was invaluable to the Beatle sound & was one of the best drummers in the world. Ringo's influence and innovative drumming technique (leading with the left hand, tunings etc) has actually grown over the years...being sited by numerous contemporary drummers.

Lastly, I'm not one to defend superstar (mis)behavior. Ringo has always been a good natured bloke and an honest guy....honest not obnoxious. If he seems insensitive to his fan base (always has acknowledged them positively)....well, he has been getting millions of fan letters for over 45 years & just maybe, he's saying in all honesty. "look, mates, I've always appreciated your love & I love you, but I can't read your letters any longer and still have a life." He's honest enough to not say I love love your letters, so keep em coming, as he throws them in the trash. He's real enough still, to remember his rough Liverpool childhood & serious illnesses, real enough to honest, maybe? Sounds like the kind of respect you give us with your honesty, caryne.

Just my thoughts to keep all things fair, or for the sake of argument.

John9 Posted - 29/11/2008 : 19:17:23
Yes, John Lennon certainly did say that - although he thought enough of Ringo to have him as the drummer on his debut solo album. I saw the video you mention as well, Caryne. And I agree, Ringo did himself no favours with it........ I'm glad I'm not famous.
caryne Posted - 29/11/2008 : 12:35:20
Best I say nothing, wasn't it John Lennon who once said of Ringo, 'He's not the best drummer in the Beatles'?

To be honest, until recently I always quite liked Ringo (thought he was a good enough drummer but nothing special) but I was really put off him by that ridiculous video he put out recently asking people not to send him any more 'fan mail'. That was really stupid and I think has lost him a lot of admirers.
bob f. Posted - 28/11/2008 : 23:13:53
yep! Ringo is great! he plays in a joyfull/creative spirit.
his Beatles drum fills always had me going, "yeay! that's just the way it should be!" ...."She Said She Said"! "Tomorrow Never Knows"!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page