Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 John Lennon on those American albums

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 02/07/2008 : 12:28:20

A few weeks back, we had a thread going about the relative merits and demerits of the Parlophone and Capitol Beatles release programmes. This link has (in the audio section at the foot of the page) John Lennon's later thoughts on this very topic......as well on that notorious, though extremely short lived cover from 1966:

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/butcher.html
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 08/07/2008 : 14:44:45
thanks for the link... heh heh this place makes me work....I now know how to check for that "butcher" cover....The odds certainly are against it but we'll see...;-).....jaysus.. I just found out Ringo is 68...put that in your pipes and smoke it kiddies
John9 Posted - 03/07/2008 : 15:12:03

Yes, lemonadekid - it is a fascinating topic. When I first made it to the States in '89, one of the things I was really looking forward to was going into record stores and experiencing the alternative reality of all those fascinating LP covers. But by then of course, they had largely been replaced by the original UK ones - though I seem to remember that you could buy both. I've just read in this month's Record Collector that an original black and gold stereo copy of the 'Please Please Me' LP has recently changes hands for £3,461!
lemonade kid Posted - 02/07/2008 : 16:35:32
quote:
Originally posted by John9

A few weeks back, we had a thread going about the relative merits and demerits of the Parlophone and Capitol Beatles release programmes. This link has (in the audio section at the foot of the page) John Lennon's later thoughts on this very topic......as well on that notorious, though extremely short lived cover from 1966:

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/butcher.html

Thanks, John9. Very interesting. Like you, I've always found the history of the Beatles catalog to be continually fascinating........
partly because they're the greatest rock & roll band ever (only my opinion), & because so may other great bands
have, well, straightforward & rather boring discography histories. I understand that The Four Seasons' VJ Records
history is equally crazy, but not many care.
The variations of the Capitol labels alone could fill a chapter. Great stuff, J9.

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page