Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 60's Today; In Music

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LeeRob Posted - 14/06/2008 : 00:44:20
Man, I'm telling you, it might be the chaw, but I'm listening to this CD that a Northerner sent me for my birthday, and it really puts me in the mind of the days of the Grateful Dead, Byrds, Graham Parsons and the like. This makes me think of LOVE, because LOVE hit me in '66 smack dab in the Pico district of L.A.
You have those tunes that take you there, right? But NEW stuff, sometimes sounds good, but not groovey; nice but counterfit.
This group's song: Steroid Train Trip - take's me there!!
The disk is Surfin' USSR. (This is not an advertisement) hehe; by FARMER'S MARKET
Turn us on to some more of the new stuff that takes you there.
Peace. I hope you are all well; it's been a long time.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 19/06/2008 : 02:53:36
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

Huh, Steve64, the bass player has a riff going similar to the MacCartney bass on the outtake fadeout of Helter Skelter. The guitars are kinda heavy metal, so that brings to mind that same period which Lennon was in during the White Album trip. 'Looks like a good "live" band to see.

All misspellings are purposeful...

Good point, LeeRob! Never thought I was into Heavy Metal until you brought up the White Album!!
Good god!!, did the Beatles pioneer or perfect most everything in 60's music onward!!??

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom
LeeRob Posted - 18/06/2008 : 23:01:23
Huh, Steve64, the bass player has a riff going similar to the MacCartney bass on the outtake fadeout of Helter Skelter. The guitars are kinda heavy metal, so that brings to mind that same period which Lennon was in during the White Album trip. 'Looks like a good "live" band to see.

steve64 Posted - 18/06/2008 : 22:17:51
I was at the Llama Festival in North Devon last weekend, had a great time and saw some very good bands, here is a short clip I filmed of a band from Newcastle called 'Booger Red' they played the Festival last year too when they played a great version of 'A House Is Not A Motel'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b0qZ-qFvsU

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
LeeRob Posted - 18/06/2008 : 22:06:41
I will definately be checking these Black Hollies out!

rocker Posted - 18/06/2008 : 14:14:57
well from hearing their stuff it sure looks as if there's plenty to mine from that pioneering era...the band has it down..their sound has the wisps of Kinks, Count Five, Electric Prunes......
lemonade kid Posted - 17/06/2008 : 19:54:38
quote:
Originally posted by jellybean

Hey LK
I have Crimson Reflections, would you recommend the other?

Absolutely! It's also their first on vinyl (in addition to CD & digital), if you're interested.
More psychedelic with sitar etc, though all their LPs are great & very respectful of 60's music,
but not imitative...as you know, from the one you have, jellybean. But they still rock!
One of the hottest bands in NYC and spreading.
Casting Shadows is a very 'cohesive' album....no mish-mash of songs like so may LPs today.

They are out of stock at the wholesale level...at least the last time my dealer friend checked,
so they are selling very well! Buying the mp3 version might be an easier way to get it. Go to:

http://www.ernestjenning.com/band_theblackhollies.htm

jellybean Posted - 17/06/2008 : 19:40:21
Hey LK
I have Crimson Reflections, would you recommend the other?
lemonade kid Posted - 17/06/2008 : 05:49:37
quote:
Originally posted by jellybean

I love the black hollies, got their album on my ipod, it's good walking to work music

All right, jellybean! 'Casting Shadows' LP ??

jellybean Posted - 16/06/2008 : 21:35:12
I love the black hollies, got their album on my ipod, it's good walking to work music
rocker Posted - 16/06/2008 : 14:24:17
yes, real good there with KS!......and I'll just add this...
interesting band...a bit of retro and fresh...long live rock

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUAiuQgHww
boombox Posted - 16/06/2008 : 13:38:00
Everything John says about KS is justified - just about the best pscychedelic band since the 60s!!
Kula John Posted - 15/06/2008 : 19:37:29
You're spot on LeeRob!! I imagine I spout on about KS far too much on this board and people are probably fed up with me going on about them but if you haven't heard their stuff then I recommend it! Ridiculed and treated as a huge joke by much of the music press here in the UK makes it even more enjoyable being a KS fan! I like to think that the joke is on the press because they are clearly guided by everything but music. For a taster follow the link,

www.kulashakermusic.com

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
LeeRob Posted - 14/06/2008 : 21:34:26
I was hoping me old friend KJ would jump in here and give us some insight into his appreciation of KULA SHAKER, but if he wants to leave it up to an old-timer, then I would say that Dr. Kitt, from Strange Folk is THERE as well.
What say KJ?

LeeRob Posted - 14/06/2008 : 05:07:04
Yes, some nice stuff there. I like the chorus, it really sync's with what I'm talking about.
lemonade kid Posted - 14/06/2008 : 04:37:14
The Black Hollies....you'll swear this is the latest song from a 60's British invasion psych band !!
http://stereogum.com/archives/video/new-black-hollies-video-paisley-pattern-ground_009866.html

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page