Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 unreleased '69 tracks-Burritos

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rocker Posted - 10/07/2007 : 16:43:15
...read that in Sept Amoeba Records will be putting out 2 discs of unreleased live material from the Burritos which they did in '69 in San Francisco where they opened for the Grateful Dead. Going to be titled "Gram Parsons Archive Volume 1"...hey maybe some of you were there! ..should be good stuff from the vaults..
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 17/07/2007 : 14:14:44
bobf..man you hit the nail on the head...I felt the same way. And get this. A few years ago I had a correspondence with Desert Rose's management fellow and he was just great in giving me alot of background on country music and how all the DRB personnel fit in with their histories. I sort of got a great history from him especially on how country developed in the Us. He said exactly what you said. They just simply lost that pedal steel sound. He lamented that country music radio was going in another direction and that it was changing. Stuff like what the Burritos did and what Mr. Hillman did with the Desert Rose band just wasn't going to cut it. And thus we get "homogenized" country today...
bob f. Posted - 17/07/2007 : 03:44:47
in my opinion, country rock of the Bakersfield honky-tonk kind hit the dust when the pedal-steel(best heard from the Byrds'"Sweethearts of the Rodeo", F.B.Bros., and Parson, Hillman, and Gene Clark's records, via the great Sneaky Pete and Jay Dee Maness), was pushed out or burried under the mix by later artists' poor decisions.
i'm a hard core pedal steel lover who is hooked on that way upfront pedal steel, proud and loud, like on Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson's great cd:" Bakersfield Bound". Pedal steel guitar from
Jay Dee Maness, loud and beautiful, compliments the great Hillman salute to classic songs like " Close Up the Honky Tonks", and "Congratulations, Anyway".

...what the world needs now...
ed the bear Posted - 16/07/2007 : 23:29:03
Rocker said: >>I'm no so sure country-rock got any farther than the Burritos<<

I suspect you're right...but I have to put in my vote for "Hot Burrito #2" as a favorite.
Anyone know anything about a cover by them of the BeeGees' "To Love Somebody?" I remember hearing it on a collection (on Vinyl) that a friend had, back in the 70's. Gram sounded so damn good, the way his voice sort of cracked...

(actually I think I meant HB #1 )
rocker Posted - 16/07/2007 : 14:26:53
John9...the "classic lineup"..yes that appears to be the best..
You know looking back the Burritos had so many personnel and lineups that I wondered why they didn't get in each other's way. Sneaky Pete kind of hung out with a different set of "Burritos" later on. For me, they just didn't do it as well.
Anyway, I'm no so sure country-rock got any farther than the Burritos..maybe Desert Rose..but after that not much..anybody have another opinion on that??? The Cowboy Junkies were ok but I think they were on valium, eh?
bob f. Posted - 13/07/2007 : 21:03:42
rest in peace, Sneeky Pete.

John9 Posted - 13/07/2007 : 17:35:29
This is great news! There was nothing to beat the classic lineup - their music was truly visionary. As time went on though they became a bit like Geoge Washington's axe! Yes I agree - 'Sin City' is my favourite too .... along with 'Christine's Tune'. Several years ago the BBC did a series on the evolution of popular music and Chris Hillman spoke of the broken dreams of all those youngsters who had headed to LA in the 60s in search of fame and fortune.
rocker Posted - 11/07/2007 : 14:50:43
yeah I saw them here in NY back then too when they were doing the college circuit..talk about doing something so new.....I'll be picking up the tracks too...

hmmmm...best song..."Sin City"????
bob f. Posted - 11/07/2007 : 02:35:17
YEAH!!! thanx, Rocker! i've been waiting for F.B.B. archives to be released! i saw them live a couple times in the 60s! Altamont was one of them, the other one was at a BE-IN at Elesian Park, L.A. '67. cOUNTYR jOE AND THfish also played that wonderful day! i cant wait!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page