Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 a Brilliant John Martyn DVD

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeP Posted - 17/09/2006 : 03:40:06
Universal have done the man full justice with this new release:
JOHN MARTYN - LIVE AT THE BBC
I really can't fault it. It has obviously been put together with great care and love for the music of its subject, shown in his prime. When I first saw it I was entranced, and I don't use that word lightly. Most of the material is almost thirty years old, but the music, such is it's strength, sounds totally current. Nobody else has made sounds like it before or since. Just one guy, acoustic guitar with pickups and an echoplex. Mesmerising, stunningly good stuff.. and cheap, too. Check out the review on Amazon UK. It doesn't lie, and neither do I. I guess that there are many, particularily in the States, who haven't heard of him, or who are only aware of his more recent and variable material, but in the 70's ths man just soared, and this music and DVD does still. Buy. No regrets.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MikeP Posted - 27/09/2006 : 03:08:32
...and another one! Universal have released 'Live in Dublin 26/8/87', which I think was recorded for RTE, and focusses primarily on JM's acoustic side, featuring the beyond great Danny Thompson on acoustic bass. The only newspaper review that I've found on the net was written by a critic who obviously loves John's music, but who, like me, is very frustrated by the erratic nature of his live performances .. shades of Terry Reid. His verdict on this one: 'Sublime'. I'm buying.
rocker Posted - 20/09/2006 : 14:53:04
thanks Mikep..I'll be near Coulsdon and it looks like it's right near Croydon. I'll try to check it out..
MikeP Posted - 20/09/2006 : 02:42:00
Rocker, if you're visiting London and are after collectables, make Beanos Records in the suburb of Croydon your first post of call. Europes biggest second hand record shop, with 2.5 m. items. They can't compete with the internet, so are having a closing down mega sale. I know from experience you can spend many hours and pounds in there. Feeling rich? You won't be for long! If there's good Love/West Coast stuff anywhere I reckon it'll be there.
Hope this helps.
rocker Posted - 19/09/2006 : 14:27:56
thanks for the heads up ......looks like I'll save a coupla bucks since I'll be going over to Ingalund next week....will also be checkin' the bins there for Love or Arthur's stuff that I haven't seen here!..from what I get here the UK'ers can't get enuff of Arthur and the band...
MikeP Posted - 19/09/2006 : 02:27:20
Rocker, after browsing the net it doesn't look like the DVD's released in the US yet. It's bound to be at some point, BUT, if you can't wait -- my advice is don't, as it's so good -- eil.com will ship it over for the princely sum of 27 dollars 87 cents. Their reference no. is:
eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid+365585
Just do it, and be the envy of all your friends.
There's stuff on it that is so good that, when you see and hear it, it will make your jaw drop, and it's THIRTY YEARS OLD! I hope that people in the States cotton on to him while he's still around. Better late than never.
kdion11 Posted - 18/09/2006 : 23:30:37
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP

Hope you love it as much as I do, SD. There's also a companion CD called 'In Session At The BBC' - just abut all they could track down. Same praise applies. A wealth of live CDs have been issued recently, all worth having. My pick apart from the above are 'Live In Milan', 'Live In Nottingham' and 'Live In Leeds And More'. 'One World (Deluxe Edition) has some wonderful live versions on t'bonus disc. A cracker. My favourite live album showing his softer side is John Martyn and Danny Thompson 'Live At The Brewery Arts Centre Kendal'. One to snuggle up with/ close your eyes and drift away..a 'latenighter'.
He's a very dogged, durable guy, seemingly unfazed by his problems these days. Perhaps the dope helps. In this last week hes done a gig at the London Barbican, performing 'Solid Air' in its entirety. Wish I could have gone, as I've seen a great review. He's still in a wheelchair. I'd hoped that he would be swaying gently or ambling round on a prosthetic by now. Perhaps that is soon to come, or maybe he's not too bothered, and is content to get by on his favourite longstanding forms of medication. Bless. Hope I see him again one day. There was a time when I didn't want to, but that was then. Anyone whose music has lasted so well - as well as Arthur's best - should be treasured and applauded while they are still with us.

KD: Hey Guys, you're right, this dude rocks ! A one man Pink Floyd
back in the day. Another great new title is the Live in Bremen Germany, from 1977 or so - Called "On The Air" or something like that. I've always said, if JM had died back in '78 or so he'd be as revered as Nick Drake is now.

The new biography is worth getting too..............
rocker Posted - 18/09/2006 : 14:20:59
MikeP...do you know if the dvd's are available in the US?...
MikeP Posted - 18/09/2006 : 04:57:23
Hope you love it as much as I do, SD. There's also a companion CD called 'In Session At The BBC' - just abut all they could track down. Same praise applies. A wealth of live CDs have been issued recently, all worth having. My pick apart from the above are 'Live In Milan', 'Live In Nottingham' and 'Live In Leeds And More'. 'One World (Deluxe Edition) has some wonderful live versions on t'bonus disc. A cracker. My favourite live album showing his softer side is John Martyn and Danny Thompson 'Live At The Brewery Arts Centre Kendal'. One to snuggle up with/ close your eyes and drift away..a 'latenighter'.
He's a very dogged, durable guy, seemingly unfazed by his problems these days. Perhaps the dope helps. In this last week hes done a gig at the London Barbican, performing 'Solid Air' in its entirety. Wish I could have gone, as I've seen a great review. He's still in a wheelchair. I'd hoped that he would be swaying gently or ambling round on a prosthetic by now. Perhaps that is soon to come, or maybe he's not too bothered, and is content to get by on his favourite longstanding forms of medication. Bless. Hope I see him again one day. There was a time when I didn't want to, but that was then. Anyone whose music has lasted so well - as well as Arthur's best - should be treasured and applauded while they are still with us.
The sweet disorder Posted - 17/09/2006 : 10:51:31
Cheers Mike, I'll check that out

Did you see that documnetary on him on BBC4 last year when he had to have his leg amputated?? I never seen anybody face something like that with such spirit. The man is a legend

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page