Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 Mike Randle Blog
 A slightly different perspective

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wendy from When Posted - 17/08/2005 : 01:37:21
Change is Good/God. I think it is a good thing for people to still be able to hear Arthur's songs in their "original" style and I think it is a good thing for him to stop singing them for a while. He has played so many times here in England in the last 3 years that I am starting to recognize audience members. They are all the same people. Same songs....same people...same places...= Stagnation Jukebox. Not the best thing for any artist although maybe a good name for a band!!!
New songs from the band...new songs from Arthur.
Having read some of MR's diaries just to get up to speed I appreciate his dedication to the Love fans. Perhaps in time with a good record and great songsMike and the band will be able to make the fans their fans for reasons other than p[laying Arthur's music so well. Perhaps Arthur will get it together to make another good record...something he ha not done since the mid 70s. I enjoyed their work together but I for one will not be going to see a cover band playing the music of Arthur Lee. In all honesty and with all due respect to the many musicians that have made up the various "Love" bands over the years without Artur there in whatever shape they would just be cover bands. Sooooo New material plese lads and let's see what you are made of.

Best of luck
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wendy from When Posted - 19/08/2005 : 18:37:50
Your points are all well taken. I, however don't know anything about Arthur Lee and Love in the 60s. I am not onto the mystique. I know nothing about who says who wrote what. As far as i am concerned all of that is great if you want to get that deep into it. I don't. I beg to differ... I don't think many people here are beyond what AL was OR what Love was.There is palpable adulation for the times and the songs all over the place.AL has obviously let many people down and he is suffering for it both in terms of his own life and the spurned LOVEr syndrome that I see here.
Mick would not be who he is without the Stones..true. But that is just the easy way of getting around my premise which has little to do with the past (Iwasn't there? and everything to do with the future ( I Will be there). Love lives in our heart and in the songs. Full marks to the band (as i have said many times) Long may they prosper and play Love songs. But no matter how well they play them and no matter how much people on these boards want them to be...They will never...can never be Love and thte closest they can ever hope to come to it is with AL singing his songs. And you all know it in your hearts. No amount of wishful thinkful, wellwishing or nostalgia can change that. Forever has Changed. You can not change a backing band into your heroes unless you change who your heroes are. Maybe that is what is going on here
Allan Posted - 19/08/2005 : 16:12:49
Wendy

Back in the day, LOVE had a loyal and steady following in LA. Not only did the group have great songs and awesome musicians, but there was also the 'mystique' about Arthur. When he would perform with only one boot on while the other foot was bare, people just thought of him as SO cool. The one boot was sort of his signature. When Arthur would always be having his endless supply of hash, never ever fearing when and where he would pull out his pipe and load it up and smoke it. Arthur wanted LOVE to have the reputation as being 'Drugs'. Not beer or alcohol...but Drugs. When he would wear his ultra-Edwardian clothes. When it is rumored that Arthur once auditioned Ed Beausoleil (spelling and first name might be wrong )... who ran around with Manson and was part of that terrible scene. This and so much more all added up to Arthur being ultimately mysterious and cool.

I started listening to LOVE back in the day because I had heard an alternative version to Hendrix's Hey Joe on the radio. I was enamored by the bass lines of that song. Up until then, I had not ever heard bass lines like that. So off I went and bought the first LP. And I listened and listened to it. My Flash on You has brilliant bass lines...you know that fuzzy, elcectric bass solo riffs in the song. I was ultimately a fan. Not only was I enamored by Arthur's mystique, but I loved the musicians in the group. It just all worked for me.

Now, in the course of time, and as I've matured, I have somehow put the image of 'Super-star, singer, song-writer' in perspective in life. As much as I idolize Jim Morrison, for example, once I've learned some inside things about him, the more human (as opposed to G-D-like) he has become. When I've learned that JM sometimes would be on the balcony at the Whiskey puking his guts out to those below him because he was so F'ed up and drunk, it all puts things in perspective. I still admire JM, but he is now more on a level plane with humanity in my eyes.

When AL could show up for a gig and somehow forget his own lyrics while slurring through his songs, it put things in perspective. When he refuses to do the Miami Pops festival because he wasn't top billed, leaving the rest of the band behind in Miami to fend for themselves, it puts things in perspective. When he threatens his band members with ill and harm, that puts things in perspective. When he takes back his offer of paying a certain amount of money to his band mates for songs that they all co-wrote, it puts things in perspective. I still admire AL, or perhaps I admire what he once was. But to me, that magical, mystical personna, that ultra-cool person has somehow just become a mere mortal.

All I'm saying Wendy is that perhaps you're still caught up on what AL once was. And that's okay!! But you need to understand that many of us here on the boards are beyond thinking of what Arthur once was. We see him today as a mere mortal that has problems.

Many here have come to realize that the musicians were equally as important to LOVE's success (and mystique ) as well. Would Mick be as popular if his band mates didn't make the music for his songs. Would Morrison be what he is today if his band mates didn't make the music for his songs?

Thank you for letting me try to express my (and many other's) feelings

Allan
Wendy from When Posted - 19/08/2005 : 09:14:08
Not Me but good luck!!!!!
Lizzyb Posted - 18/08/2005 : 11:52:49
wendy from when

just checking on the past. years ago i used to exchange mail with wendy from devon, mostly about love and the byrds. I've been trying to find her, and a couple of others from those days - hey i succeeded with Tina.

long shot but just wondering, and there were no contact details for you.

Keep on shining
Wendy from When Posted - 18/08/2005 : 08:43:08
OK I agree that AL has been shaky from time till now. But now you are speaking as if you wrer in on this drama as well. Are you/were yoiu everywhere. DO you really know the whole story as to why AL was not on the tour or are you taking MR's diaries as gospel? When someone has provided you with 40 odd years of endorphine exciting moments perhaps you owe him a little consideration in return. AL is not a role model but a songwriter/singer. Are we all clear on that? You all know you have enjoyed years of AL stories and myths. All of a sudden people are so wounded by his behaviour. Get alife and chill. Let the band do as they will and let AL: do as he will. AL is the voice of Love. Does someone out there not agree with that. You may be alright with hearing Rusty sing the songs but you know when you go home after the show it;s AL who sings you to sleep.
ladylove Posted - 18/08/2005 : 07:29:53
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, Wendy, but why the put-downs? AL did this to himself. Can you imagine going to the airport and being stood up by the Leader of the group?? When is that lack of professionalism acceptable?? Not to mention the countless times he had to be 'covered' by the other band members because he couldn't even speak coherently?? These guys aren't wasting their time living someone else's dream, they are working musicians trying to support themselves and their families. That's the bottom line -- real life. Whether you like it or not, it's about the songs, that's what people come to hear. The songs that were born out of a dream that JE and AL shared along with the other original members...and now the group that has been helping to keep that dream alive are a part of it, too.
Wendy from When Posted - 17/08/2005 : 23:11:53
Fair enough.
What I am saying is simply that there is no Love without AL. Full Stop. Without him they will still play the songs well. The old fans will still come out to see the songs played well. Mike and the band will make new fans playing the songs well....But it ain't Love. Not even with JE there. It is something and that something may be worthwhile but like it or not...AL is Love. That is not to demean JE or the band or anyone else. No Stones without MJ, No Queen without FM, no Beatles withou JL, no Nirvana without CC and no Love without AL. Love Band... maybe but what a way to spend your creative life... living out someone else's dream.
Whew
ladylove Posted - 17/08/2005 : 22:49:56
Like I said, I WAS THERE...not that I went to see some concerts. Who I was involved with is mine and his business, but I know all about those days and what transpired.

I'm not denying AL's talent, which is amazing. Back then, the group was called LOVE not "Love with Arthur Lee" and most of the time they wrote together, with AL and BM being the significant contributors. Half the time they were so f***ed up it was hard to determine who wrote what. They all trusted each other. When drugs, egos and back-stabbing finally split up the original line-up, AL (who made sure he took care of his 'business' and possibly took advantage of those who didn't)revived the group with various backing bands...and I give him tons of credit for that. He kept their music alive for many years. Personally, I was never interested in seeing anything other than the original line-up. I was ecstatic when Johnny re-surfaced and my only wish was for them to reunite and continue TOGETHER. But it seems that was not meant to be. I can't imagine LOVE without Arthur, but from the reviews of the last tour, it seems that they held their own.

You're right, Wendy, I don't know if AL is still using...but judging from his latest performances and actions, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that something ain't right.

Maybe AL didn't want to share the stage with JE afterall
Wendy from When Posted - 17/08/2005 : 21:02:17
Well pardon me for my incorrect assumption. Are you then saying that you have intimate knowledge and know for a fact that AL ripped the other band members off....stole the songs....bullied them into 40 years worth of submission, all the while maintaining a horrible attitude and a huge drug habit as you have stated or are you saying you went to some shows. They are after all very different things.

i have heard that the shows back in those days were amazing. I have also heard that the records don't do the band justice.
ladylove Posted - 17/08/2005 : 18:29:11
Yes, Wendy, I WAS THERE.
bigrubberglove Posted - 17/08/2005 : 16:09:45
I agree. Arthur Lee appears by many accounts to be an a%% h***.

BUT if he is within 300 miles of my house I will make the trip to see him, regardless of if he is strumming a guitar alone, playing a xylophone with his chin or playing with a full band.

waxburn Posted - 17/08/2005 : 14:25:14
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy from When

I think we agree for the most part. I am not doubting JE's contribution to those first records but the composer of note is AL. We can speculate until the cows come in as to who's story to believe but nothing I hve ever seen or read would lead me to believe that anyone othe that AL wrote the songs that AL is credited with. Sur,e its to JE's and the bands advantage to claim whatever they will to make their point/further their careers but that is all hearsay. The music business is rife with claims of "i really wrote that song". Rarely ...very rarely do they pan out to be true.If the original band co-wrote those songs why have they not put forth their claim afteralmost 40 years? you have to wonder. Do you really belive that JE is just as important as AL? Really? I don't think that was ever true as far as Love is concerned. I wasn't there...were you? If you insist on making Mike's diaries your point of refernce then you must also realise that he was not there either. So how would he know who wrote what. All he can go on is hearsay and his own beliefs. His diaries are his personal thoughts on the matter and NOT bespoke facts. You speak like a person who knows that AL is "still using" whilst JE is not. How do you know and is it fair for you to spread such gossip.
I belive that the band has every right to play as many of those songs as they wish for as long as they wish and I pray for their success because they are a good band. But the Doors are not the doors without JM...Queen is not Quennwithout FM...The Stones are not the Stones without MJ and Love is not Love without AL. Simply stated and that is all I am saying. What if every founding member of LOVE decided to go on the road with a backing band. Love Band 1 and LoveBand 2 etc.
You are saying what you "believe" to be true. That AL stole the credit for th songs and bullied everyoneinto hiding for almost 40 years. Bravo to JE for coming out of wherever and sharing Love. We are all glad to see and hear him. All I am saying is bring on some new material and don't get lost in the past!!! Is that wrong? Like i said let's see what you are m,ade of lads!!!

Wendy, I know that I am not about to miss Arthur's comeback gig.
Arthur Lee is Arthur Lee.
Wendy from When Posted - 17/08/2005 : 07:32:50
I think we agree for the most part. I am not doubting JE's contribution to those first records but the composer of note is AL. We can speculate until the cows come in as to who's story to believe but nothing I hve ever seen or read would lead me to believe that anyone othe that AL wrote the songs that AL is credited with. Sur,e its to JE's and the bands advantage to claim whatever they will to make their point/further their careers but that is all hearsay. The music business is rife with claims of "i really wrote that song". Rarely ...very rarely do they pan out to be true.If the original band co-wrote those songs why have they not put forth their claim afteralmost 40 years? you have to wonder. Do you really belive that JE is just as important as AL? Really? I don't think that was ever true as far as Love is concerned. I wasn't there...were you? If you insist on making Mike's diaries your point of refernce then you must also realise that he was not there either. So how would he know who wrote what. All he can go on is hearsay and his own beliefs. His diaries are his personal thoughts on the matter and NOT bespoke facts. You speak like a person who knows that AL is "still using" whilst JE is not. How do you know and is it fair for you to spread such gossip.
I belive that the band has every right to play as many of those songs as they wish for as long as they wish and I pray for their success because they are a good band. But the Doors are not the doors without JM...Queen is not Quennwithout FM...The Stones are not the Stones without MJ and Love is not Love without AL. Simply stated and that is all I am saying. What if every founding member of LOVE decided to go on the road with a backing band. Love Band 1 and LoveBand 2 etc.
You are saying what you "believe" to be true. That AL stole the credit for th songs and bullied everyoneinto hiding for almost 40 years. Bravo to JE for coming out of wherever and sharing Love. We are all glad to see and hear him. All I am saying is bring on some new material and don't get lost in the past!!! Is that wrong? Like i said let's see what you are m,ade of lads!!!
ladylove Posted - 17/08/2005 : 01:59:33
I beg to differ with you WFW...The Love Band is NOT a cover band. Johnny Echols is a co-founder of LOVE and is just as important as AL was. The songs that fans come to hear are Johnny's songs, too. Unfortunately, the plan to reunite AL and JE with the band didn't work out. I suspect this was because Johnny could ONCE AGAIN no longer tolerate Arthur's behavior. Arthur has been making money off songs that the original band co-wrote and made famous, not just AL, who has rarely written a song by himself (as Mike refers to in his diaries). Just because someone gets sole writer's credit doesn't mean they were the only writer -- sometimes it's because they exerted their power and refused to give co-writer credits. I also believe that Johnny was a threat to Arthur because Johnny has gotten his act together and cleaned out...something Arthur was obviously unable to do. Sometimes it's very intimidating to an addict who is still actively using to deal with a recovering addict...and these two "brothers" have always been very competitive.

Who knows what will happen with The Love Band, but I wish them all the good fortune I wish Arthur. We all need to LOVE one another because life is just too damn short.

I just get really pissed off when people fail to acknowledge Johnny's contributions to LOVE's fame. He has been quiet for way too long and now he has finally resurfaced, much to the delight of most of LOVE's fans.

So, bring it on LOVE BAND -- I'm sure we'll all be very pleased with any new material you present to us.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page