Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 Concerts
 I am so thrilled to have discovered Arthur Lee

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jazzy mary Posted - 28/09/2004 : 17:08:49
Ok, here's a quick introduction about myself. I am a big jazz fan living in NYC. I post frequently on the Jazzcorner board, under the same name, about jazz and all kinds of things. I started a thread there called "I have Zombies Tickets" and got a whole big discussion going. The reason I have Zombie tkts. for the Town Hall concert is because my 11 year old daughter is an awesome musician. She plays guitar, piano, clarinet and is now learning drums--she also composes music and has a band. At any rate, I remembered the Zombies from when I was growing up--I was too young for the "Summer of Love" and all that but I absolutely adored "She's Not There" and "Time of the Season". Well, I'd basically somewhat forgotten about the Zombies until my daughter *discovered* them and started asking if I knew their songs. So, I got her their greatest hits, she can already play several of the songs on piano and guitar and were are now (me again) wild Zombie fans!! Ok, so that's why I got Zombie tkts. for us.

Now, for Arthur...Among the questions I asked in my Jazzcorner thread was was "Anyone heard of Arthur Lee--he's opening for the Zombies?" I'm an idiot because I wasn't hip to him. Well, the posters at Jazcorner (among the hippest and smartest in the world) totally hipped me!!! So now I have "Forever Changes" and I am playing it non-stop and I mean *non-stop* (only when I'm sleeping do I not play it and I drift off with the tunes in my head). Ok, here is my finding which will be big news to all of you on this board Arthur Lee is a frickin' genius!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't wait to hip my younger daughter (I have 2 girls) so, when I picked her up from her music lessons yesterday, I showed her the "Forever Changes" cover (she had wondered who Arthur Lee and Love were too) and I told her "Liz, you are going to love this music". "Let me play 2 tunes for you "Red Telephone" and "Maybe the People would be..." She turned her head from me and listened intently to the music, not saying a word (she's a real musician and *hears* so much), not even reacting. I wasn't even sure if she liked it, but I know her stupendous, impeccable taste in music so I knew she would HAVE TO! Afterwards, her eyes widened and she said "he's really good", which is her way of conferring serious stature to an artist. I could tell she really dug and *understood*

So, long story short, I adore Arthur Lee. The thrill of finding new music is soooooo wonderful; it makes life worth living. I found this thread by doing a search of Arthur.

So, that's my Arthur Lee story. I know way, way so much more about jazz music and I'm not totally hip to all the various rock & roll vibe. But, man, I know great, great music when I hear it!!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jazzy mary Posted - 13/10/2004 : 17:02:34
Yes, I'm very excited. Now is the right time for me to discover AL. And now is the right time for AL!!

Actually, Caryl, if you like jazz there is tons of good music around! Just this week in NYC there are about 3 or 4 gigs I would love to see--and that's in addition to AL!

Here's a cute story, this will be my 11 year old's first "rock" concert. She's a musician and I've taken her to quite a few jazz clubs, we have a subscription the American Ballet Theatre and we go to the Philharmonic. But, she's never been to a rock concert, per se. At any rate, we were talking about it and she asked me if Arthur Lee was the first "set"!! That's what the first show of the night in a jazz club is called!! I explained that he was the opening act.
caryl Posted - 12/10/2004 : 22:51:46
Jazzy Mary you are so lucky to have discovered Arthur now! When they 1st started there was a lot of good music, but now??? And to be able to attend a concert that I'm sure you'll enjoy---!!! ENJOY!
otis robb Posted - 12/10/2004 : 03:26:50
Speaking of ROD ARGENT, if you inclined, PICK UP on this early 'prog band'. Incredible! Rod Argent is unbelievable on the assortment of keyboards he plays. Besides Brian Auger and Claude Coffee Cave (Mandrill, Rod is another LIVING LEGEND. Check out their double Live album from 1974, "Encore" with Russ Ballard (another great musician who has written many songs covered by a host of others)
Thats when live albums were still live with no 'studioized' post production forcing the issue! By the way, several of Argent's songs have been covered by (oh no) Kiss-God Gave Rock and Roll to You and Steppenwolf-Hold Your HEad Up (Good Version too i might add)
Also check out singer/songwriter JULES SHEARS on his 1994 'Healing Bones' release in which Rod co-produces and plays keys.

You know here in Nashville, most of the great stuff by=passes this area! I REALLY WONT GO INTO THAT-DONT BELIEVE A WORD when someone talks about this as MUSIC CITY- WHAT A LIE!!!!! Its great Arthur is paired up with Rod and Colin from the Zombies(the orig guitarist passed away too not that long ago) for several shows in the
music loving areas of the country! Oh well. I'm just getting have to fume as others enjoy the music and just read on. Look my wife and I went to LOUISVILLE KY to catch CARAVAN AND NEKTAR a few Fridays ago. (Great groups by the way who have been on the scene for some time, ESP CARAVAN) Till the next....Peace
jazzy mary Posted - 29/09/2004 : 16:50:17
Thanks guys, I'm listening to "Forever Changes" now. Good thing I can listen to music all day long at work!!!!

I'm very excited about seeing Love and Arthur and would like to meet Arthur.
The Freedom Man Posted - 28/09/2004 : 21:59:44
And don't forget to check out Mike Randle's, LOVE's current AMAZING lead guitar player's Diaries at http://www.thefreedomman.com.

Cheers,
Ed aka The Freedom Man

http://www.thefreedomman.com
Allan Posted - 28/09/2004 : 21:53:45
jm-Click on home link above on the right. It will take you to the main page, which is Torben's site, who is probably the number 1 LOVE fan, and well respected here by all of us. You can then click on the tour link, along the top. A new site has been added to the tour, and that's 20 minutes away from where I live, in Collingswood, NJ. It's the day after NYC, and I'll be there-on Row B,seat 1. I haven't met Arthur, but many here have. Find the fans and contribution link on the Main Page...you'll see many of us there, from 30+ years ago and today. Some are pictured with Arthur

Arthur and LOVE rarely left LA back in their day. Arthur even turned down an invite to the Monterey Pop festival. He did come to Philly in '70, but somehow I missed them then. Keep searching on the main page and you'll find a list of where Arthur performed and when.
Old_Man Posted - 28/09/2004 : 21:51:48
Welcome to the Love board Mary, it's always good to see new fans joining. If you want to know who we all are click on the "members" tab at top of page to see where we all come from then ckick on the persons name to view their profile. Some have more info than others, some even have their photo.

Someone recommended you listen to the Foreverchanges cd recorded at the Royal Festival Hall in London, but don't forget it was also filmed and is available on dvd too. Have fun!
ocfan Posted - 28/09/2004 : 20:40:02
I think you will get more response from the general discussion board. Arthur, is one of a kind, which means you never know what Arthur will be on any given concert but he never bores.
You are going to get to see Johnny Echols also, which was the original lead guitarist, so you are getting to see both LOVE eras and they both have a beauty of their own. Johnny is awesome and Mike Randle is just an incredible guitar player. The rest of band does not disappoint either. And the lyrics are indeed timeless. Fits 67, fits 2004. I too am bringing a young one to the show. The thing about "Forever Changes" is you never get tired of listening to it. One of the greatest albumns of all time.
jazzy mary Posted - 28/09/2004 : 20:12:30
Thanks for the recs., Allan. That's amazing that the New York area gigs will be your first time live. Me too, but then I just discovered Arthur 2 weeks ago! I am going to the Town Hall concert but alas, my tickets are in row T, I think

I found out about the concert so late. How can one find out about these sort of things earlier!!? I'll be the woman with the hip little girl. Town Hall is a nice venue. I have lots of friends (jazz) who have played there.

Have you not met Arthur?
Allan Posted - 28/09/2004 : 19:53:12
jazzy mary...Welcome to our world. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here, but everyone on this board is totally in LOVE with Arthur and the band. The band has spent considerable time over in England for about the past 2 years, and they are finally back here. Just so you can have a taste of how the band sounded while over in England, you MUST buy "The Forever Changes Concert at The Royal Festival Hall". It's recorded live. I've been listening to Arthur Lee and LOVE for over 35 years, and the NYC gig will be my first time seeing them. There's about 5 or 6 of us here that are going to Town Hall. Their first LP, self titled LOVE, their 2nd LP titled DaCapo, and their 4th LP titled Four Sail are must haves also.
jazzy mary Posted - 28/09/2004 : 18:01:42
Thanks, ocfan. Is there any way to find out who everyone is on this board? I'm interested in your stories.
ocfan Posted - 28/09/2004 : 17:55:40
Well you are in for a treat. Arthur, when he is on,is incredible and the band is awesome. Mike Randle (lead guitar player) is unbelievable. Enjoy!!!!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page