Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Jay Donnellan's band 'Morning'

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ruxprncd Posted - 24/01/2006 : 03:25:16
After Jay left Love, I read that he was in a band called Morning. Although I've looked, I've never found or heard any of their stuff until today - a pretty cool, country-Byrdsy track called Dirt Road on www.beyondthebeatgeneration.com. Very tasty guitar - much different than the in-your-face style on Four Sail.

Does anybody here know anything about Morning?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ThomasGalasso Posted - 02/04/2006 : 20:30:32
Are you serious ?

I thought Love was not around at that point to even be invited to Woodstock ? So you are telling us, that you guys could have played Woodstock too huh ?

-Thomas
JayDonnellan Posted - 02/04/2006 : 18:52:44
Here's one for the books... I didnt know the importance at the time... but I was at Arts house when he said... **** no, Im not going to New York for one gig... and he turned down Woodstock at that moment. Great career move.. self destruct in the making! JD
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 19/02/2006 : 01:39:37
Yeah JD, that's why he canned the last incarnation of Love- they actually wanted to show up for the tour and play(!)
My theory on AL has been that he's rapid cycling Bi-polar (bear?)-maybe from all the acid?
Whatever the diagnosis, he's a great singer/songwriter...
ThomasGalasso Posted - 17/02/2006 : 07:15:28
Interesting take on Arthur Lee there Jay,

I can totally relate to many of the things I have read about in terms of his behavior both past and present. I find Arthur to be one of the most amazing character-studies out there and to be quite frank, that is one of my interests.

I would also like to know what became of Gethsemane or if you know anything about it ? What was on your mind when your days with Love were over ? Getting huge in another band or... ?

I also wonder what was Arthur's attitude when it came to getting more famous, and making more money getting recognition and all of that kind of stuff, I could only imagine what would have been in your head at that age.

-Thomas
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 17/02/2006 : 02:01:33
quote:
Originally posted by JohnFPorcaro

quote:
Originally posted by JayDonnellan

Oh, reply to OLD MAN, every second of life is a risk.. so there is no risk really.

Jay, your work on "Nothing" & "I'm With You" was
magnificent. Fell in love with the guitar work on those songs.
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 17/02/2006 : 01:58:14
quote:
Originally posted by JayDonnellan

Oh, reply to OLD MAN, every second of life is a risk.. so there is no risk really.

Dukie Posted - 17/02/2006 : 01:51:31
If anyone wants the issue of "The Castle" with my chat with Jay from a few years back, contact David P. Housden as I think he still has copies of that issue.
JayDonnellan Posted - 17/02/2006 : 00:15:51
JayDonnellan Posted - 17/02/2006 : 00:12:25
Gracias, Hi Dukie.. also, the name sometimesmylifeissoeerie must be a bitch to type, but I just laugh at it so much. Just briefly, I was fired from Love, showing up at the studio to a locked door.. and then a telegram... a real one.. long before FAX.. "pursuant to your desires and wishes, you are no longer a member of the group Love"... A bit harsh, but so was the band and the time.. Arthur was just pissed because, I didnt like not showing up for gigs and-or being two hours late.. so, I was basically a pain for him and it has always been his band and his choice.. He probably did me a great favor and kept me alive.. who knows.. the times were great! I have no idea why side one is so diferent from side two on four sail... same studio and mixes... maybe diferent drugs. The only song I helped with was singing Cowboy... which I brought to Arthur finished but without lyric.. and I Still Wonder... which is 100% my fault. Dukies article has alot of info as I remember.. more than in my head now... Ive been purging. Thanks to the persons who wrote the very kind words about guitar playing... probably, I agree with another part of this board and would say that "Always see your face" is my favorite... Arthur as we all know, is a great, be it confused talent.. who knows where he will pop up next.. later, JD
Dukie Posted - 14/02/2006 : 23:42:18
I did a telephone interview with Jay a few years back and this was printed in "The Castle"... I will have to look up which issue (it came as a supplement with an interview that I did around the same time with Gary Rowles- who seems to have disappeared/ well, changed his e-mail address anyway).
Tiburon Posted - 13/02/2006 : 22:42:41
I too would love to hear more stories from your experiences with Love and AL, I want to know what kind of relationship did you have with everyone and why you left. Four sail is a nice album I just bought the remastered cd off ebay not to long ago. August sounds great and i played it actually at a club i was djing at along with a house version of everybody gotta live.

if its cool i would love to hear more stories and welcome to the board Jay.

PS you Arthur, Johnny, and Mike Stuart should do that Gethsemane project together. that would be awesome.
Old_Man Posted - 13/02/2006 : 21:41:47
Jay, great to read your story of the solo boat trip. What an experience it must have been. Would be nice to be able to do something like that, especially if you could be sure that you'd survive! But the high risks are what makes it all the more memorable I guess.
ruxprncd Posted - 13/02/2006 : 13:34:36
I'll second that! Jay, anything you can share about your days with Love would be fantastic.

By the way, 'I Do Wonder' is one of my favorite tracks from that era - great song with a beautifully constructed solo.
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 12/02/2006 : 22:48:40
It's great to hear from the guitarist on "Four Sail", one of the best records of its time.
Jay's playing on "Good Time" got me interested in playing jazz on the guitar (that great Em11th bebop figure in the intro really opened up my ears!),and my little rock band in high school used to do that song, much to the confusion of my fellow high school students, who had no idea what the heck we were playing!
Jay, if you feel like replying, can you give us any info about the making of "Four Sail", whether you had any part in writing the tunes (other than your visionary guitar contributions), the difference in the music on side one and side two (this might be subjective, but I think side two was much better than side one)and anything else you'd like to mention about it?
Your solo on "Good Time" to my ears, is one of the best guitar solos ever recorded, and your work on "August", "I am With You" and "Your Friend and mine" is what made the songs so great in the first place.
Since you went on to do a lot of other things in the music biz, there were probably a lot of people that agreed with me!
JayDonnellan Posted - 11/02/2006 : 22:31:22
The group Morning made two albums .. one for Vault Records and the other called [Struck like Silver[ for Fantasy records. I have seen the first, Vault album on sale on E Bay for fairly high prices... I don{t know where to find the second one.. A fun band..

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page