Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 The Inimitable Mr. Kenny Forssi!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
johnnylovejoy Posted - 18/11/2005 : 05:37:42
A lot of folks have asked me about Kenny Forssi. One of the reasons that I decided to "come in from the cold", is to ["Try"] and obviate the inclinations of certain individuals. Who would, for reasons known only to themselves, manufacture, embellish, or otherwise create; total and complete nonsense concerning the musical group known as "LOVE". Most of these "creations" bare little, or no resemblance to the reality in which I lived!
Kenny, was one of the brightest and kindest people, I have ever Known, a true genius, a renaissance Man of the first order!!!
He Knew how much I loved to play my guitar, through old 1950's era Fender Bassman Amps. So he managed to find one, (which wasn't easy even in the sixties), duplicate the circuitry and build an identical sounding replica for me, as a birthday surprise.(You can hear it on your mind and we) The Man could do any thing he set his mind too! He built "monitor" speakers, that were every bit as good as, (or better than) those costing thousands of dollars and used in the best recording studio's.
Kenny was a first-rate "painter" as well as one of the finest "bassist's in all of music; he could play jazz, blues, classical__ and he played it all with equal dexterity. With all of his "gifts", Kenny was not the least bit arrogant, he was completely "down too earth" with a fantastic sense of humor. The world lost a special person, when he died, and I lost a cherished friend. :Johnny Echols

Ps. I've mentioned it before, but check out Kenny's superb bass playing on the Turtles "Happy Together" I think it make's the song!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Allan Posted - 19/11/2005 : 18:59:52
Johnny

Kenny's old school friend's name is Ken Taggert. The e-mail that I posted was sent to me 8/16/04. Being the sentimentalist that I am, I have been trying to find out information about Kenny for Ken (and for me too ). But like I said, info about Kenny is rather sparse.

Michael told me that he saw you and a few others this past summer at a hotel in LA. He was SO happy to see you...you both go back for so many years.

quote:
"One never Knows, stranger things have happened!

I've asked Michael several times how he would feel if you, him, and Arthur could ever get back together again. Invariably, he always comes up with the same quote you made. Somehow I find that comforting . Perhaps when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is ready for LOVE, we'll see it. And hopefully maybe before then too

Could you e-mail me Johnny? Go to my profile (Allan) and click the link. If not, I'll understand as I absolutely respect your privacy.

So glad to have you on this site. Keep them stories coming, Johnny

Allan
stefaan Posted - 19/11/2005 : 07:34:47
quote:
Originally posted by johnnylovejoy

Allan: thank you so much for your posting, and for your many kind words; And especially the section about brother Kenny, it contained many aspects of his life that I was unaware of! Michael is my "bud" and together we just might bring some "Truth" to the legacy of the group called LOVE. Hopefully we will get to play together with A.L. "One never Knows, stranger things have happened!
:Johnny

Indeed dear Johnny: stranger things have happened
Maybe you don't realize how great and important it is to have you " Out Here" !

Thanks for all the kind words, and for the music of then, now and tomorrow!

Greetz,

Stefaan

Oh yeah: my daughters (aged 23 and 26) send their LOVE as well!!

And please keep them stories coming!
johnnylovejoy Posted - 19/11/2005 : 03:47:29
Allan: thank you so much for your posting, and for your many kind words; And especially the section about brother Kenny, it contained many aspects of his life that I was unaware of! Michael is my "bud" and together we just might bring some "Truth" to the legacy of the group called LOVE. Hopefully we will get to play together with A.L. "One never Knows, stranger things have happened!
:Johnny
ruxprncd Posted - 19/11/2005 : 03:29:07
Johnny, thanks for the wonderful memories of Kenny. I recall reading an interview of him and he seemed like a very 'real' person.

ps I'd like to put a plug in for Gethsemane and any other new material you're working on :)
Allan Posted - 18/11/2005 : 17:02:57
Johnny

I can't thank you enough for your post.

I've always felt that LOVE was a complete band...the excellent vocals and songwriting of Arthur, your incredible guitar playing, Bryan's beautiful songs and excellent back up or 2nd lead guitar to you, Kenny's brilliant bass runs ( I like to think of him as a 'visionary'), even Snoopy's drumming and of course Michael, who I have a nice relationship with and I think the most of him.

[I've mentioned this here before, but just in case you haven't read it, Michael thinks the world of you and wishes you 'the absolute best' ]

What a nice way for you to remember Kenny!! I think Kenny was always an Engineer, at least in mind. It sounds like you guys were pretty close with one another. That 'amplified fuzz' bass of Kenny's on "My Flash on You" is pure energy. I can just visualize the crowd going crazy when you played that number.

I received an e-mail from an old school friend of Kenny's. I'm pasting that e-mail here-for all to read.

When I think of Kenny Forssi, I think of that innocence that was bliss. We were only young teenagers when we met...13 years old, Brookside Jr. High in Sarasota, Florida. I was from California, and Kenny was from Ohio, but I never knew that Kenny wasn't a native Floridian until after he died. I suppose it didn't matter anyway.

Kenny and I attended Jr. High, high school and even worked at the same aerospace company in Sarasota, EMR, until we decided to travel to the West Coast in search of our fortunes. We were in our very early 20's when we did that. Kenny had a scholarship to Art Center School when we made that pilgramage. Of course we went to my home town, Anahem, first because I had a lot of connections there that made life easier for all of us. Another mutual friend, Dave Pelham, was with us on our trip also. The 3 of us rented an old house in Anaheim which was our base of operations. We had a blast in that old house.

Kenny was a unique person. He was very talented in graphic arts and worked at EMR as a design draftsman, at the same time that I was an electronics tech there. He had a knack for seeing the funny side of life, both in his drawings and in his constantly joking around. If you didn't know him, you wouldn't realize the analysis and creativity that went on behind that typical American kid exterior. He had a compulsive side too, and I think that it was that side that eventually led him into the addiction that destroyed his career. If Kenny was involved in a project, it was almost impossible to dissuade him from it regardless of how misguided it might seem. It was that side of him that could have led him into brushes with the law as far back as Sarasota. But he lucked out back then and stayed clear of the law.

I remember Kenny had a pet project that seemed ridiculous to most of us. He believed that he could build a dragster out of exhaust tubing, thereby reducing the weight and cost, and he was going to use an aircraft engine for the power plant. I don't think he ever completed that one.

Actually my knowlege of Kenny's musical career, even as far back as Sarasota, is sparse. He belonged to a group that toured the state, and had a few groupie conquest stories to tell about that.

Once we hit Anaheim, and Kenny was enrolled in Art Center School, it became apparent that the commute was too much, so he moved into LA and his first roomate turned out to be the musician who got Kenny the Surfaris Japan Tour gig. During that period, I was working at Beckman Instruments, trying to learn drums and hanging out at Jazz clubs. The first I knew of Love was when Dave Pelham had contacted Kenny, and we went up to see him at Backstage Bido Litos. They were a great group. We didn't realize how great at the time. The next time I tried to see Kenny was at the Whiskey, but he wasn't with the group. I was concerned, and went backstage to enquire. I met Arthur Lee for the first time, and he rather flippantly remarked that if I wanted to see my friend, I would have to visit him at Synanon in Santa Monica. Synanon was a drug rehab place that mainly dealt with heroin addicts. I was stunned. I tried to contact Kenny there, but they told me that he had been moved to their Oakland facility to get him away from bad influences. I have never liked Arthur Lee since that first and only meeting.

I never saw Kenny again. I heard about the doughnut shop stickups, and prison time at Chino, CA. My friend Dave saw Kenny back in Sarasota once, and remarked that Kenny was proud of having kicked heroin. Then I heard that Kenny had died in a little town in North Florida of a brain tumor. It made me very sad. I wish I could have shared more of his life. Now I'm just trying to gather bits and pieces of Kenny's life to share with our mutual friends.

I went to Brian Maclean's web site today, and the photo links of Kenny are still broken. I also bought the book Pegasus Carrousel at Amazon.com which is by Love's first drummer, I believe. I am hoping to gain some insite into Kenny's life with Love.

Sorry I can't provide you with much about Kenny's musical career. I am mostly trying to find out about the life of an old, good friend. If you see any pics of Kenny or articles, please let me know. Thanks for the Love web site info. I left an email on Brian's site asking those photo links be fixed. I hope you get to see the new Love in your area

end

Johnny-I hope our paths will cross again. I did get to meet you at Town Hall, NYC 10/13/04 and again the next night at Scottish Rite in NJ, where you graciously signed my FC LP cover (and Arthur signed it also).

All the best to you, and I hope you get back together with Arthur (and maybe even Michael ), and go out and kick some natchal butt again.

Allan
Fred in Bed Posted - 18/11/2005 : 11:39:52
Hey Johnny, it's always great to read your contributions and recollections. Stay out of the cold, man!

Phil Brauer Posted - 18/11/2005 : 10:15:32
Thanks Johnny, any information about Kenny Forssi is greatly appreciated. I am sure he wasn't intentionally a 'mystery man', but it just seems like there is little to no info about him anywhere. Most of the info I have gleaned came from Pegasus Carousel. I like to listen to how much he added to the song "Old Man" with his beautiful bass lines. peace, phil brauer.
myoungish Posted - 18/11/2005 : 07:33:46
Thanx for comin' in from the cold, Johnny, and for shinin' some real light on your dear friend, Kenny Forssi.

Michael Young

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page