Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 FAVOURITE LOVE SONG? And Why?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stefaan Posted - 07/11/2005 : 23:11:22
It wouldn't surprise me at all if this topic passed the board before.
But as there are a lot new (including me) people here:

What's Your All Time Favourite Love Song, And Why Is It?
I know, it's not easy, but I'm talking about 1 SONG here.

Mine is "You Set The Scene" for sure. First I heard It In The Mid Seventies Almost Daily On The Pirate Station "Radio Caroline". Being In My Mid Teens Then It Was Such A Revalation To Me And My Then "Real LOVE". The girl is gone, But The Song Remains...

Greetz,

Stefaan
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Loov Posted - 22/11/2005 : 16:58:01
Nice question, but hard not to resent the one-song limit. As an adult, it's Between Clark and Hilldale. As a child it was You Set the Scene.
Strange to see how much agreement there is on these. You think you own the song somehow, and then.....

Loov
silversurf2002 Posted - 21/11/2005 : 09:07:04
Yep, tricky one for sure.

Different tracks drag back the scent of wonderful times. Anything off Da Capo haunts my memory with endless summer days surfing on the coast of Australia where I live. Hazy days, new love of women and a spirit slightly left of the mainstream conscousness. I looked in my all time iTunes playlist and its Orange Skies, but thats there because it represents a feeling of a magic time, rather than a clever piece of music.(ditto the Rascals Groovin)

Forever Changes became more cerebral than emotive and almost also represented a loss of innocence. between Clarke and Hilldale was so powerful and you set the Scene so all encompassing. Always there was the pure dynamics of the band and that stunning voice of Arthurs to carry your spirit further into the great revolution and revelation of that age we were lucky to be part of.

Call me crazy, but I still think Da Capo itself is one amazing track...a superb example of the act of love itself.

If I had to take only one LOVE track to a desert island forever? ...Dunno

forever free, the sea
silversurf2002 Posted - 21/11/2005 : 08:10:56
Yep, tricky one for sure.

Different tracks drag back the scent of wonderful times. Anything off Da Capo haunts my memory with endless summer days surfing on the coast of Australia where I live. Hazy days, new love of women and a spirit slightly left of the mainstream conscousness. I looked in my all time iTunes playlist and its Orange Skies, but thats there because it represents a feeling of a magic time, rather than a clever piece of music.(ditto the Rascals Groovin)

Forever Changes became more cerebral than emotive and almost also represented a loss of innocence. between Clarke and Hilldale was so powerful and you set the Scene so all encompassing. Always there was the pure dynamics of the band and that stunning voice of Arthurs to carry your spirit further into the great revolution and revelation of that age we were lucky to be part of.

Call me crazy, but I still think Da Capo itself is one amazing track...a superb example of the act of love itself.

If I had to take only one LOVE track to a desert island forever? ...Dunno

forever free, the sea
ThomasGalasso Posted - 14/11/2005 : 23:51:04
This is a hard one !!!!!

I think it is a hard three-way tie for me with songs like :

Maybe the people would be the time or between clark and hilldale

Your Mind and we belong together

she comes in colors

but also....

I am a HUGE FAN of....

August

Laughing Stock

Singing Cowboy

Wonder People (I Do Wonder) unreleased off FC special edition

Instra-Mental

----

A verse I love off of Maybe the people would be the times is when he says "and here they always play my songs". Its so cleverly arrogant in a harmless and cool way, where we don't know if his songs are literally Love tunes or if they are just his faves or both.
Its like he is saying I love it here, and sometimes its just great to be.

As for Laughing Stock, it totally grew on me, but it reminds me of a Velvet Underground song, and the lyrics are killer. Come on people, "doing all the things I shouldn't have to do" is awesome, or "I just got out my little red..." to name check an older tune of his is ahead of its time, even though I think McCartney did it first on the Magical Mystery Tour album by mentioning his song Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

Intra-Mental is complete intrumental bliss, and I love its proggy-ness, I wish he would have done more songs like that. Just listen to that song at night and drive around the city.

Wonder People (I Do Wonder) is pure greatness, the finger picking is relentlessly great, and makes the song rise above being a Bacharach knock-off. I wish they would have included it, along with Laughing Stock, and Your Mind and We Belong Together for a Gethsemane album, and then forced Arthur into doing Four Sail, before we got Out Here.

There are more, but I have to go for now. My Flash On You is a great simply mindless garage tune as well, probably my fave alltime even more than 7 and 7 Is.

-Thomas
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 12/11/2005 : 19:43:19
Obviously, "The Red Telephone" cause of the unique melody, chord progression and generally psycho lyrics.
Let's face it, AL is nothing without his psycho-ness.
If BL couldn't see it coming sooner or later...
bigrubberglove Posted - 11/11/2005 : 16:33:50
Laughing Stock is brilliant. The beginning is one of the weirdest intros I have ever heard to a song but totally great.

"....Fred in Bed....."
mikeb Posted - 11/11/2005 : 12:15:27
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

It's gotta be "Laughing Stock" for me. Didn't John Peel play that
one 12 times in a row or something when he first got it

It's says 11 times in a row in Ken Brooks book, I remember hearing both Laughing Stock and Your Mind and We Belong Together on Top Gear but not 11 times in a row, I have always wondered whether this is an urban myth
tmittelstadt Posted - 11/11/2005 : 04:09:35
Laughing Stock is an incredibly brillaint tune.

This may sound dumb, but it's almost like a precursor to rap. They almost sampled their own song when they play the parts from a previous song. Has this ever been discussed here? I've always thought that was so damn clever.
kdion11 Posted - 11/11/2005 : 00:49:07
It's gotta be "Laughing Stock" for me. Didn't John Peel play that
one 12 times in a row or something when he first got it ?

Free the tunes !

quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

you set the scene. i and my friends stayed up all night listening to and discussing it when it first came out. the lyrics had us mesmerized, and still haunts me with its magic.

bob f. Posted - 10/11/2005 : 03:28:56
you set the scene. i and my friends stayed up all night listening to and discussing it when it first came out. the lyrics had us mesmerized, and still haunts me with its magic.
Arnstein Posted - 09/11/2005 : 23:17:23
You Set the Scene :D
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 09/11/2005 : 20:14:24
Yeah,it,s a real hard call to name one track from such a back catolouge of great tunes.
Singed D.C. Ison my player right now.
AUGUST is a great track, as are I STILL WONDER+ NICE TO BE........
But my no. 1 is...LIVE +LET LIVE (today anyway)
boombox Posted - 09/11/2005 : 14:19:55
For me it's anything off Side 1 of Da Capo - probably because that was the first album I got, Stephanie being the first Love song I heard (albeit in a cover version by The Move!!) but She Comes In Colours and Orange Skies always make me sing/growl along. And as for The Castle, what an acoustic guitar part!

However, Live & Let Live is the one I always play first if I'm feeling in the mood for a Love singalong on the guitar - it must have one of the best first lines ever in the history of music. I also have to agree with the comments about You Set The Scene - fantastic album closer with that repeated brassline at the end, which Mike does SOOO well on the guitar. Will be hoping that Baby Lemonade put it back in the set again for their own gigs (it's on 68% Pure Imagination).
maldurqoue Posted - 09/11/2005 : 10:51:12
I have to go with "you set the scene" too. It's the perfect coda to the album and life in general, Arthur's in particular. However, I've had 'She Comes in Colors' swirling around in my head for a few months now. Is there a cure?

Mal

Silence is a sound we hear far too little of these days.
tmittelstadt Posted - 09/11/2005 : 05:25:01
It's so hard to pick just one!

I'd have to go with You Set the Scene. It's just so unlike any other song I've ever heard. Plus, every time I hear it, I find myself singing it the rest of the day.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page