Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Introduction...I hope this is the right place

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
maldurqoue Posted - 27/09/2005 : 11:08:49
Hi all. In the interest of full disclosure I was the one who wrote that rather uncivil email to MR. I go into that in greater detail in the MR Diary section of this board.

Anyway, as a newcomer, let me introduce myself. Despite MR's ambiguity as to my gender I am a male; from OC California who is older than MR but younger than AL. I can find something to like in most genres of music with the exception of country and new age but my particular passions are late 60's psych and early 70's (pre-disco) funk.

Though I'm old enough to vaguely remember Love as a kid, I didn't really climb on board until the re-issue of Forever Changes a few years ago. I don't claim to be an expert on the band or its members, I just love listening to Love. I've only seen one performance, that being last October? at the Grove in Anaheim with the Zombies which was particularly appropriate since I had been listening extensively to FC and 'Odessy and Oracle' at the time. Live music (esp rock) being a visceral experience and all, I was in awe of both bands.

Contrary to what MR implies, AL is not my hero (if it were anyone it would be Jimi Hendrix, but I'm way too old and cynical for heroes)

My take on the warring parties:

AL - abominable, self-destructive human being, great performer, genius songwriter (not everyone gets to be the driving creative force behind one of the - we know it's THE - greatest record albums of all time!)

BL - decent chaps it seems, nice little local neo-psych band

If I was looking for a babysitter for my kids, I'd go with character, but for musical pleasure I side with genius. I hear the feathers ruffling already.

Finally, I sing, play guitar, bass and vibes, write songs and lyrics and am currently working on a psych album at my home studio.

-Mal-

Silence is a sound we hear far too little of these days.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Allan Posted - 27/09/2005 : 16:21:09
Hi Mal

I've been a LOVE fan since the 60's, and I happenned to fall onto this site. I also am a fan of 60's LA, 60's Psychedelic, and 60's/early 70's Rock and I'm also crazy about 60's British Blues. I had noticed that LOVE played a gig in Philly in I think 2003 (might've been 2002?), but I found out about it after the fact. So I was quite bummed about that, and decided to do some 'surfing'. Google was the answer, and it led me to this site. So I'm certainly not a founding member.

When I found this site, Art and the band were successfully touring England to rave reviews. It seemed that every gig was awesome. All the fans here at that time were very supportive of AL and the band, but back then, the 2 were not spoken of separately...what I mean is the members loved AL and they loved BL, and accolades were shared equally. "Arthur was on top form and the band was great" were common comments.

It started to unravel a bit especially when the Benicasm (Spain) gig happenned. All of the members here were very civil and polite when talking about this event...some even made it a point to say that "Arthur had a bad night", or "He hurt his leg and was in pain" or "He may have had a bit too much to drink" etc. But I think we all knew deep down inside that there was more to the story, but nonetheless, rallied around well wishes for Arthur and speedy recoveries, etc.

Over time, there were a couple more bad gigs, and it all unraveled when Arthur decided not to keep his contractual committments to a tour in England. The band decided to do the tour without Arthur.

I guess you pretty much know the rest...with Mike's diaries and posts on this board. As new members joined this site, it became evident that you were either on AL's side, or not on AL's side. IMO-some have gone to lengths to sell their point of view.

I'd like to add that most if not all of us still have a great respect for Arthur the singer-songwriter, shall I say legend. Some of us also feel that Arthur's threats, poor behavior, not holding to his contractual obligations, his devil may care attitude is not becoming and is in contrast to his band members.

Allan

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page