Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 ARTHUR SPEAKS!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jimmyboy Posted - 04/09/2005 : 21:06:37
Check out Brian Wilson's official site and click on to the messages.Click down to "Brian Wilson and Arthur
Lee" and read what Arthur told someone named Ed Roach.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kilted_john Posted - 09/09/2005 : 18:39:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy from When

I think he got it right ALs vocal on that one is far in tune and on time than BMs. Either way they were not going to sound good together.

Perhaps a lame question ... is there a listing somewhere to who sang which songs specifically? I know sometimes the album lists the musicians and the instruments they played, but not necessarily song by song.

It would be great to know, so I can do my own comparative analysis.

John
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 09/09/2005 : 17:58:46
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

Being a fan of the rockier stuff A.L.did post F. CHANGES, just as much as i am of the 3 albums he did with the original line-up,my hope now is that we get to see ARTHUR do some more songs from 4 SAIL onwards.
As enjoyable as the concerts since 2002 have been,i really beleive the F.C.playlist has been done enough.
Maybe i am niave in my hope of seeing ARTHUR LEE playing in London again, but we all need dreams and hopes, and personally seeing A.L. doing stuff from FOUR SAIL onwards is my hope.
REEL TO REAL, VINDICATOR, OUT HERE....Theres so many grat tunes on theese albums, it,d be a real shame if ARTHUR didn,t give them an airing......
love........Allan

I could'nt agree with you more!
There are some, great, great stuff on all those albums.
"You said you would,You said you would,but , now your gone"
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 09/09/2005 : 17:40:19
Being a fan of the rockier stuff A.L.did post F. CHANGES, just as much as i am of the 3 albums he did with the original line-up,my hope now is that we get to see ARTHUR do some more songs from 4 SAIL onwards.
As enjoyable as the concerts since 2002 have been,i really beleive the F.C.playlist has been done enough.
Maybe i am niave in my hope of seeing ARTHUR LEE playing in London again, but we all need dreams and hopes, and personally seeing A.L. doing stuff from FOUR SAIL onwards is my hope.
REEL TO REAL, VINDICATOR, OUT HERE....Theres so many grat tunes on theese albums, it,d be a real shame if ARTHUR didn,t give them an airing......
love........Allan
boombox Posted - 09/09/2005 : 17:33:26
I agree with you, WFW - we all have our favourite voices and eras. For me, I have always loved Bryan's songs - they seemed to hook me first, when I first heard Love twenty-odd years ago, and at that time, I didn't even know whose songs they were. But as I said, I have some live recordings from 1970 of the heavier sound and on the right day, I love them too.

I suppose it's the same when you ask a bunch of Deadheads, which is the best grateful dead album, you will get a myriad of responses.

The question I want to ask is, if AL does do an album, will The Anthem be on it?? Hope not!
Wendy from When Posted - 09/09/2005 : 04:56:19
I think it's all down to personal taste. There are quite a few AL fans who do not care for the 60s stuff and find it "old sounding". they like the rockier and funkier songs better. What makes a great song is mostly in the ear of the behearer.there is a rampant sense of humour that runs through AL songs....some get it and some don't.
About that mix on Aloneagainor...I think he got it right ALs vocal on that one is far in tune and on time than BMs. Either way they were not going to sound good together. Just one girl's opinion.

boombox Posted - 09/09/2005 : 03:37:21
Perhaps it's sacrilege to say, but I have never been a great fan of the 70s AL albums, though I do concede the material works well live. Regarding new material, to be honest, if it's not FC sounding, that doesn't worry me - Da Capo has always been my favourite album. But, as you say, any new stuff would be welcome. I just don't know whether it will happen. It would be great to see him write just one more great album before he packs in completely. Case in point, Tim Rose's last album was probably the best collection of songs he ever recorded - his death was so untimely.
waxburn Posted - 09/09/2005 : 03:14:33
quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

[quote]Originally posted by waxburn

[quote]Originally posted by boombox

That was also my understanding of what has been said.

It would be nice to think that AL has finally been given the kick he deserved to write some new material, but I won't hold my breath. Just look at his output over the last thirty-odd years - next to zilch. Yet the 60s Love albums are credited mostly to him?? I can't understand how someone who could supposedly (if we are to believe the publishing credits) write so many great songs on his own back then hasn't done it since. Unless of course, he didn't do it back then...

Seems to explain just how much of this song-hijacking must have gone on, even then. I don't doubt the guy's undoubted musicianship - it is known that he could probably have done a Prince/?/Squiggle or Billy Corgan and done most of the recording himself, but there seems little eveience to show he actually conceived all those great tunes. Perhaps one of his greater strengths was arranging - though of course, he did get one of those arrangements majorly wrong by mixing out Bryan from Alone Again Or. But was that ego????

I don't think it was ego, he was the producer of FC (along with BB)
so it was his decision to make, and I don't think it sounds all
that bad. Actually, ALONEAGAINOR, always has sounded cool to my ears.

The copyrights have the writers names on them, thats the more than enough evidence, IMHO. I wonder who exactly he pinched each particular song from?

Vindicator, "Arthur Lee", the Blue Thumb album, to say nothing of
4 SAIL, which as a good as anything that came before it, all AL.

He may put out new stuff, he may not. I'm hoping he will.
It may not be FC sounding but it will be good. Lets be positive,
boombox Posted - 09/09/2005 : 01:56:28
That was also my understanding of what has been said.

It would be nice to think that AL has finally been given the kick he deserved to write some new material, but I won't hold my breath. Just look at his output over the last thirty-odd years - next to zilch. Yet the 60s Love albums are credited mostly to him?? I can't understand how someone who could supposedly (if we are to believe the publishing credits) write so many great songs on his own back then hasn't done it since. Unless of course, he didn't do it back then...

Seems to explain just how much of this song-hijacking must have gone on, even then. I don't doubt the guy's undoubted musicianship - it is known that he could probably have done a Prince/?/Squiggle or Billy Corgan and done most of the recording himself, but there seems little eveience to show he actually conceived all those great tunes. Perhaps one of his greater strengths was arranging - though of course, he did get one of those arrangements majorly wrong by mixing out Bryan from Alone Again Or. But was that ego????
kdion11 Posted - 09/09/2005 : 00:33:54
I doubt it seriously. Isn't that the main reason
that the band split from him ? His inability not only
not to have anything new / worth while ready,
but also his inability to work with the group to
write together as a unit. From what I understand,
he wanted the band to write the songs, and then "give"
them to Arthur as Arthur Lee sole compositions. All for
a measily couple of hundred dollars compensation.

It's been nearly three years since he's been released
from prison and still there's not even the hope of anything
new on the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:

I hope so Waxburn, i am sure A.L. has some more songs in him,let,s hope we get to hear them.

I think that Arthur may be now motivated to do some new material.

waxburn Posted - 08/09/2005 : 18:49:33
quote:

I hope so Waxburn, i am sure A.L. has some more songs in him,let,s hope we get to hear them.

I think that Arthur may be now motivated to do some new material.

ALLANAGAIN Posted - 07/09/2005 : 13:18:48
waxburn Posted - 05/09/2005 : 16:56:49
quote:
Originally posted by finelyfree

You got that all right, John E, except for the error of Mike saying that the performances with Lee ultimately went well...it's really the performances WITHOUT Lee...as appears in the L.A. Times.

I don't know how to post the link, but just go to www.calendarlive.com and enter John Echols in the search and it will appear after the article on Melissa Etheridge.

I guess they wanted Arthur to write the "right" kind of new material.
Maybe now Arthur can funk it up a bit.
ladylove Posted - 04/09/2005 : 23:25:03
You got that all right, John E, except for the error of Mike saying that the performances with Lee ultimately went well...it's really the performances WITHOUT Lee...as appears in the L.A. Times.

I don't know how to post the link, but just go to www.calendarlive.com and enter John Echols in the search and it will appear after the article on Melissa Etheridge.
John E Posted - 04/09/2005 : 23:05:01
Hi Jimmyboy...you beat me to it there, as I've been down to Brighton, today. I was going to call my post the same thing . Here's the quoted article (from Ed Roach: Seem to keep posting things here from newspapers, but I know some of this is of interest, and a lot of people wouldn't otherwise see it: All Love lost in this war of the words The reemergence of former Love leader Arthur Lee in the eprformance world in recent years has been second only to that of Brian Wilson among '60's rock veterans. As wilson revived his long-lost "Smile" with a new crew of musicians, Lee, with the support of his own group of L.A.-based musicians, mounted tours to perform "Forever Changes," the acclaimed 1967 album that's considered his own band's peak. After having spent much of the 1990's in prison on a variety of charges, the troubled Lee finally seemed to be on the way to a stable career following his 2001 release. But now there's been a split between the singer and his back-up musicians - and there's only one thing that the now-adversaries seem to agree on: "I'm definitely not working with those people anymore," Lee says. After Lee failed to appear for several key shows, including a series of August dates in Europe, the band - which is built around members of L.A. group Baby Lemonade - decided to continue without the leader. Co-founding member John Echols, who performed on the Europe shows, is staying on for what is now being billed as the Love Band. Baby Lemonade guitarist Mike Randle says the performances with Lee ultimately went well, and that there are even plans to write and record new songs. In part, he says, it was Lee's resistance to doing new material that caused the rift. "We spent two of the last three years constantly trying to convince him we needed the right new material, right new directions," Randle says. "He just wanted to make some money." Lee, who has assembled a new backing band and says he is opening a new music club in L.A., is not happy about his former colleagues' plans. "You can only take so much," he says. "These guys, they're going around calling themselves the Love Band. It's not fair. I've been working on this since I was 15 years old. I'm 60 years old now, and nobody's going to move me off this corner."
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 04/09/2005 : 23:02:45
Here's the link:
http://www.brianwilson.com/cgi-bin/webforum/viewmessage.cgi?r=112585056368164135148&l=level2

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page