Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Love without Arthur

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GoodHumourMan Posted - 16/08/2005 : 14:27:23
Remember the When Hell Freezes Over Tour of the Eagles...the name came from a remark Don Henley said in the mid-80s about the chances of an Eagle reunion. But with most rock'n'roll groups, business tends to take precedence over personalities.

Love without Arthur Lee will soon find out they are not as marketable an act as they would like. They got away with it this time because: 1. tickets had already been sold with the presumption Arthur would be there. 2. people had already made plans to attend the gigs. 3. An apologetic Love Band offered refunds/discounts for the gigs.

They may play the music brilliantly. I've seen Doors, Thin Lizzy and Beatles tribute bands that played brilliantly. But they weren't those legendary bands.

But in the longterm, Love without Athur is making the same mistake as Arthur made in 1968 when he sacked the classic band and brought in a bunch of pinch hitters. I don't think I've ever seen a come down in quality as Love had from Forever Changes to Four Sail.

I am an American who discovered Love during my 10-year stay in London. I returned to the USA and settled in Salisbury, Maryland two months ago and I had been looking forward to a Love gig in Alexandria, VA at the end of September. But without Arthur, they ain't Love and I'm not going.

I'm not excited about Rusty Squeezebox singing Arthur's song anymore than I want Rusty go give me Arthur's autograph.

Arthur may be a tyrant, a jerk, a lunatic, a moron, a fool, an ass, a thug, a punk, an immature wacko and I could go on and on.

But he is also The Man.

DanGerMan
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MikeP Posted - 31/08/2005 : 01:59:49
That's exactly what I was going to post. Goodnight to some, goodbye to one. Zzzzzzz...
caryne Posted - 29/08/2005 : 16:04:43
Yawn....as if anyone is fooled by the same people keep popping up here using different names...try another one.
caryne Posted - 29/08/2005 : 08:23:23
Finely free...you have put this very well, Mike's diaries are very tactful, there has been far more happening, stuff I have seen with my own two eyes and plenty more besides. If 'Wendy' feels she has to wait for AL's side of things that's fine by her but I'm happy to beleive what I have seen myself and been told my many, not just one, very reliable sources..the case is made as far as I'm concerned. It's up to others to believe the truth or simply choose to ignore the facts, if that is the world they want to live in.

ps Finely Free - would like to speak to you, if possible, email me.
Wendy from When Posted - 28/08/2005 : 23:51:44
I agree with everything you say. I however must reserve such judgements untill after I have heard the other side of the "truth".
Best of Luck to the Love Band and AL
ladylove Posted - 28/08/2005 : 23:17:46
I also know Mike's diaries to be true not just because I've read them. In fact, he's done an excellent job of telling just enough to make the situation tolerable to the readers. He's a gentleman, and I thank him for that because the whole story is really ugly.

I agree that it's going to be very challenging for The Love Band, especially here in the States. But I know they did the right thing, the only thing they could do to survive.

Many thanks to Johnny for coming back to save the legacy. Together with the group formerly known as Baby Lemonade, The Love Band has all my support. Go get 'em!!

caryne Posted - 28/08/2005 : 15:39:55
All points of view are very welcome here when it is constructive criticism not petty bickering and sniping.

I don't have to just believe Mike's diaries but I know them to be true for the simple fact that they are! Yes, sounds daft but I've been close enough to this band over the last few years to know exactly what has been happening, I don't need Mike's diaries I have seen the truth with my own two eyes and have heard reports from many sources. You can disbelieve me if you choose but I know the truth and Mike is telling it.
jdmuhr Posted - 28/08/2005 : 09:58:28
Sorry for messing up my previous message...

My original post does not state any "facts" to begin with, just my opinions about the situation. Sorry if you don't agree with them. Time will tell.

I have read many of Mike's diaries. Not all of them by any means, but as many as I've been able to read over the last couple years. I am not a "new" Love fan, either. I am obviously new to this board, however. If you've got a difference of opinion, please state your views, don't rip on me. Perhaps you have a thing about new people appearing on this message board. If so, sorry.

Cheers,

Jeffrey
jdmuhr Posted - 28/08/2005 : 09:45:03
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by jdmuhr

Agree with the comments at the top of this thread...

Having seen Arthur and the Baby Lemonade lineup play, I recognize their incredible skill, sound, and the hard work they put in to make the new Love work. But it just isn't the same without the original lead singer and lead writer. No matter how nasty Arthur was to them, one could see their going on and playing the same music as wishful thinking. They want to go on doing a good thing because it was great! But it can't go on working for long without the legendary lead signer and writer.

"As far as the Love name...it's really not that big of a deal as long as the crowd knows exactly what they are getting when they buy tickets."

Unfortunately, I think it IS a big deal and there is no easy way to resolve the problem.

I don't know exactly what Arthur did to make the band so angry but I hope that they can somehow put their differences aside and patch things up in the future. Perhaps Arthur was just mentally exhausted from such a long haul of touring -- it has to be admitted that it's hard for someone who is probably 60 years old to stay on the road for long periods of time.

Cheers and Love,

Jeff

Perhaps if some of these 'new' Love fans had read Mike's diaries they might have a clue what was going and and stop talking half-truths when they havn't a clue about the circumstances.

Wendy from When Posted - 28/08/2005 : 07:34:02
here you are again...telling someone else "they don't have a clue" because they don't agree with your POV or don't take MR's diaries (PR) as gospel. I live in England but I have music loving friends all over the world. I agree with jdmuhr. Without some fabulous NEW music or AL there simply is not much demand outside of England or BL or The Love Band.
caryne Posted - 27/08/2005 : 17:27:56
quote:
Originally posted by jdmuhr

Having seen Arthur and the Baby Lemonade lineup play, I recognize their incredible skill, sound, and the hard work they put in to make the new Love work. But it just isn't the same without the original lead singer and lead writer. No matter how nasty Arthur was to them, one could see their going on and playing the same music as wishful thinking. They want to go on doing a good thing because it was great! But it can't go on working for long without the legendary lead signer and writer.

"As far as the Love name...it's really not that big of a deal as long as the crowd knows exactly what they are getting when they buy tickets."

Unfortunately, I think it IS a big deal and there is no easy way to resolve the problem.

I don't know exactly what Arthur did to make the band so angry but I hope that they can somehow put their differences aside and patch things up in the future. Perhaps Arthur was just mentally exhausted from such a long haul of touring -- it has to be admitted that it's hard for someone who is probably 60 years old to stay on the road for long periods of time.

Cheers and Love,

Jeff

Perhaps if some of these 'new' Love fans had read Mike's diaries they might have a clue what was going and and stop talking half-truths when they havn't a clue about the circumstances.
jdmuhr Posted - 25/08/2005 : 19:41:23

Cheers and Love,

Jeff
GoodHumourMan Posted - 18/08/2005 : 17:32:44
No...DanGerMan is just a play off my full name.........Dan German

DanGerMan
Arnstein Posted - 18/08/2005 : 15:48:07
Off-topic: Are you a fan of Danger Man? (the TV-show) If so, do you like The Prisoner too?
GoodHumourMan Posted - 18/08/2005 : 15:00:27
Question...How much will you pay to go to a Love in gig...

In the UK

Love with only Arthur Lee from the classic band...I would pay 20 pounds

With Johnny Echols back in the lineup....Make that 25 pounds.

Had Arthur summonded Michael Stuart so the surviving three are all together...That would be worth up to 30 pounds.

If Bryan and Kenny were still alive and all five were together...well that edition of Love would remind me of the time in 2003 I paid 40 pounds to see a Yes of Howe, Anderson, White, Squire and Wakeman..the classic Yes.

What about the current Love without Arthur Lee...10 or 12 pounds...Johnny is in the group and it is excellent and proven Arthur backup band. It would be worth the money to hear some competent musicians play Love music.

As far as the Love name...it's really not that big of a deal as long as the crowd knows exactly what they are getting when they buy tickets.

DanGerMan
Lizzyb Posted - 18/08/2005 : 11:40:37
"Arthur has made the mistake of calling any band he fronts Love."

oh no he hasn't. I have at least one album which has 'band aid' as the band.

Keep on shining

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page