Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Sackings to come?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GoodHumourMan Posted - 15/08/2005 : 14:17:51
I'm thinking now that when Arthur rebounds from his latest funk....he will be angry at bandmates for continuing without him....sack the entire band and start over...and hit the road with a new Love.

After all, he's done this once or twice before.

DanGerMan
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikeb Posted - 02/09/2005 : 10:39:45
Career suicide? Way overstating your point. The band would have committed career suicide, thus tainting the whole Love legacy, had they carried on with Arthur as he was in those two San Francisco shows.
Wendy from When Posted - 02/09/2005 : 07:54:56
well here's one we can all agree on. It was not just a mistake.. If indeed the band did "dump" AL, which I am coming to doubt more and more then it was tantimount to career suicide at least as far as the Love legacy goes. As good as they are they will never draw the audience that AL can simply based on history. I know they have a cadre of loyal fans and they deserve them.However i can't see very many people wanting to see od hear Love songs without AL. Remember...he isn't dead...only sleeping.
ladylove Posted - 02/09/2005 : 04:48:51
I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I have to agree with you. I think it was a mistake for the band to 'dump' Arthur...I doubt very seriously that The Love Band will be able to make enough money to pay the rent or mortgage. Good, bad or indifferent -- Arthur has been LOVE for the past 35+ years, and Johnny has just come back, but I wonder if he can draw the audience...actually, I doubt itno matter how terrific I think he is

It's too bad they couldn't have found a way to make it work together.

ALLANAGAIN Posted - 01/09/2005 : 14:10:28
Got to agree with the G.H.Man,s point of veiw...LOVE is Arthur Lee,s muse, and has been for the last 40 years, and any promoter knows a ticket with ARTHUR LEE on it will out-sell any band who used to play with him.....SIMPLE COMMON SENSE.
Loov Posted - 01/09/2005 : 03:46:34
I don't really get the purpose of all this negative speculation GHM. Maybe I should scan more topics to see if you ever sing a different note, but it seems like this stuff has been discussed ad nauseam and only the most positive wishes are in order for Love without Arthur as well as for Arthur himself (his genuine recovery/salvation). Thanks for listening.

Loov
Fred in Bed Posted - 16/08/2005 : 14:51:08
quote:
Arthur may be a tyrant, a jerk, a lunatic, a moron, a fool, an ass, a thug, a punk, an immature wacko and I could go on and on.

But he is also The Man.

Agreed.

I'm so glad I got the opportunity to see Love WITH Arthur Lee in Brighton this year (a gig which I thought was a really good performance by the band AND Arthur).

Knowing what we knew about Arthur from past histories, interviews etc, Mike's recent diary entries are hardly a revelation (no pun intended). Arthur appears to be all the things you mention and more but everyone pretty much knew all that before the recent events, right? And who can honestly say it wasn't part of the enigma and allure that is Love and always has been? It sure is tough on Mike and the rest of them and I genuinely feel sorry for them but I'm speaking about Love as a fan.

For me, Arthur Lee is too integral to that music for it truly to be Love without him.

GoodHumourMan Posted - 16/08/2005 : 14:28:49
Remember the When Hell Freezes Over Tour of the Eagles...the name came from a remark Don Henley said in the mid-80s about the chances of an Eagle reunion. But with most rock'n'roll groups, business tends to take precedence over personalities.

Love without Arthur Lee will soon find out they are not as marketable an act as they would like. They got away with it this time because: 1. tickets had already been sold with the presumption Arthur would be there. 2. people had already made plans to attend the gigs. 3. An apologetic Love Band offered refunds/discounts for the gigs.

They may play the music brilliantly. I've seen Doors, Thin Lizzy and Beatles tribute bands that played brilliantly. But they weren't those legendary bands.

But in the longterm, Love without Athur is making the same mistake as Arthur made in 1968 when he sacked the classic band and brought in a bunch of pinch hitters. I don't think I've ever seen a come down in quality as Love had from Forever Changes to Four Sail.

I am an American who discovered Love during my 10-year stay in London. I returned to the USA and settled in Salisbury, Maryland two months ago and I had been looking forward to a Love gig in Alexandria, VA at the end of September. But without Arthur, they ain't Love and I'm not going.

I'm not excited about Rusty Squeezebox singing Arthur's song anymore than I want Rusty go give me Arthur's autograph.

Arthur may be a tyrant, a jerk, a lunatic, a moron, a fool, an ass, a thug, a punk, an immature wacko and I could go on and on.

But he is also The Man.

DanGerMan
Arnstein Posted - 16/08/2005 : 00:36:13
I guess he had much time for songwriting in jail...:)
caryne Posted - 15/08/2005 : 22:14:15
As others have said, you really aren't keeping up are you GHM, the band have stated many times they have no intention of working with Arthur again, they decided to carry on without him, not the other way round.

As for Arthur's 'solo' career.....we shall wait and see
Arnstein Posted - 15/08/2005 : 16:39:39
I guess he will ask me to play guitar or bass for him!!! :P
LarryNYC Posted - 15/08/2005 : 16:03:24
Dream on GHM your talking about someone who can't even remember his own lyrics !!
GoodHumourMan Posted - 15/08/2005 : 15:59:00
i would think an Arthur Lee without Love would be a more marketable acat than a Love without Arthur Lee....Although a Love with Arthur Lee would be more marketable than either of the other two.

And most marketable would be a Love with Arthur, Johnny, Michael and any other members from the classic period.

DanGerMan
mikeb Posted - 15/08/2005 : 15:05:44
How can he sack a band that has sacked him?

He will also need management, promoters and venues who will book him unless he intends using his own money, I would think he will need his own money to hire musicians to work with him given his reputation.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page