Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 More from Michael Stuart--what he's doing now

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 23/06/2014 : 16:59:16
Talked to Michael recently and he generously said ---sure, go ahead, share some of this with my friends at Torb's and Freed's...thanks as always, Michael for being the great drummer and good guy you ARE.

From michael... in answer to a few of my questions...

As time passes I realize more and more each day, what a gifted songwriter Arthur was. Like I said, the first album is my favorite, but Da Capo and Forever Changes are equally seismic. Arthur was a very unusual person and his work was in some ways a window to his soul. Thanks for throwing me in there with Ringo, Levon, Cass and Ginger. Man, that's some excellent company. I'm honored indeed.

Not drumming at all really. I think the only way to make the connection with other musicians is to get out after midnight to some of the local bars [on the Vegas Strip] (I guess) and hang out til 2 am and make conversation with the musicians during their break.. I can't do that anymore nor do I want to. I can still play. I still have chops, just no outlet and drums don't sound good all by their lonesome.

I have a classic/acoustic guitar, and in the last few years I've managed to learn some of my favorites off Love's first album, like Mushroom Clouds, Signed DC, Message To Pretty, Colored Balls Falling, etc. I got the chord charts off the Internet of all places.

I know most people like Forever Changes but I always [feel that] the words and music off the first album were Love at its finest.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 11/08/2014 : 13:50:08
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Wonderful to hear from you Ed - I too contribute rather less than I used to - I think that we all owe Lemonadekid a great deal for his almost daily enthusiasm right across this board. Cheers.

Good of you to say so, j9. But as I always say....the music's the thing. And all you guys here are the best...that's why I'm here! Many friendships were forged here and continue to be cemented ...here!

Hey, ed! Good to see you are still here and posting... whenever you can or feel moved.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
John9 Posted - 11/08/2014 : 09:25:00

Wonderful to hear from you Ed - I too contribute rather less than I used to - I think that we all owe Lemonadekid a great deal for his almost daily enthusiasm right across this board. Cheers.
ed the bear Posted - 10/08/2014 : 08:09:01
I was turned on to the debut album first, and it's stayed my favorite. "Gazing" is on my alltime top 10 list. A friend of mine said "Ed, you like the Stones. You like the Byrds. You have to hear this." I wore out a few vinyl copies, and now I have the CD in the car. In fact, it took me years to warm up to "Forever Changes." Not sure why.

Been away due to complicated stuff, nice to see that you guys are still here keeping the conversation going.
Joe Morris Posted - 25/06/2014 : 18:28:46
I guess Elektra Masters wasn't out then
lemonade kid Posted - 23/06/2014 : 20:20:53
Good indeed to read this...Michael on Love. Doesn't get better to have these legends kindly sharing their life and times from the golden age.

I have very distinct memories of Little Red Book in 1966 on AM radio and the Castle interview on Dick Clark....wonderful. But I wasn't buying too many LPs then being a penny poor teen, yet years later when I bought Love's first LP, I was blown away again. But like so many, I actually bought Forever Changes first. Having that to use as reference in time, Da Capo and Self-titled were as good as I had hoped. But unlike you, J9, I came back to LoVe decades after their star had faded...so glad it is shining bright again.

-Aldous Huxley
John9 Posted - 23/06/2014 : 17:31:51
Very many thanks for this, LK - a fascinating read - and it is good to hear Michael's mature reflections on it all. I remember that Snoopy, in his lengthy classic interview, also said that the first album was his favourite. I would imagine that most of us here in Torben's community heard Forever Changes before the debut and then felt underwhelmed by the earlier release. But anyone who was there at the start might very well see things differently. And in the UK by the time I heard Love's masterpiece in 1971, the first album had long been deleted. In fact the only way of hearing any of it was to buy Love Revisited - which featured four of its tracks. I will always treasure the day in Spring 1972,when I suddenly noticed that there were several import copies in outdoor racks on London's Oxford St.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page