Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Love on Desert Island Discs today

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 31/01/2014 : 22:47:05
UK members of this board will remember Radio Two DJ, Bob Harris as an early presenter of the thinking person's alternative to Top of the Pops.....The Old Grey Whistle Test. Well, this Sunday (2 Feb)at 11.15, 'Whispering Bob' will be Kirsty Young's castaway on Desert Island Discs.

And why could this be of interest to Love fans? Well, in two separate polls of rock writers - held years apart - he named Forever Changes as his favourite album of all time. And so keep your fingers crossed everyone. Here's a link to where the broadcast will be:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03sr7dy
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 05/02/2014 : 16:47:37
Yes DT - I had noticed that - I would imagine that it was down to some overworked and underpaid member of the production staff having to get the job done quickly.

Interestingly, Radio 4's early evening show, Pick of the Week was presented by Andy Kershaw who of course went on to present the Old Grey Whistle Test during the 1980s - included amongst his broadcast highlights for the week was an excerpt from Bob's earlier presentation - the PJ Proby anecdote and Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl. I really hope that Andy is over all his own problems now.
DaveyTee Posted - 04/02/2014 : 17:07:23
I'd never heard the Mark Germino song before - absolutely terrific. And I find I have one thing in common with Bob Harris - Paul Anka's "Diana" as also the first record I bought.

I thought it rather curious that on Bob Harris' Desert Island Disks page (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03sr7dy), the picture shown to illustrate Love Alone Again Or (and indeed Love's biography) is not the Forever Changes line-up, as one might expect, but rather the picture used by High Moon to promote Black Beauty.

DT

But I Can't Understand
Why We Let Someone Else
Rule Our Land
Cap in Hand.
(The Proclaimers)
stewart Posted - 03/02/2014 : 00:47:05
quote:
It was fascinating to hear how Bob had first become acquainted with Forever Changes...as a result of getting to know John Peel during the latter's 'Perfumed Garden' programme phase...I would think that it was that show that helped the album to rank so highly on our LP charts in early 1968.

This FC 'incident' is mentioned in Mick Wall's book 'John Peel'. Peel's Love plays are listed here http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Love
John9 Posted - 02/02/2014 : 18:02:38
As far as I know this was Love's first appearance on the high profile show since early 1993 - when then Labour MP and future mayor of London, Ken Livingstone included You Set The Scene in his selection.

It was fascinating to hear how Bob had first become acquainted with Forever Changes...as a result of getting to know John Peel during the latter's 'Perfumed Garden' programme phase...I would think that it was that show that helped the album to rank so highly on our LP charts in early 1968.

I was also quite moved to hear how Bob had beaten an aggressive form of prostate cancer - and as for his selection...well he seems to have gone for those songs that have meant most to him at various key stages in his life. If I were ever to be invited, I would start off with one of the first songs ever to strike a chord with me ...Count Your Blessings by the Luton Girls Choir.

Scully - I'm glad that you appreciate Bob as much as I do - I think that it was that calm, gentle and collaborative manner that encouraged his guests to open up in the way that they did - that 1974 interview with Lennon is well worth catching.

stewart Posted - 02/02/2014 : 12:55:34
a Love sandwich didn't save what was a pretty naff selection

1. Mark Germino - Rex Bob Lowenstein
2. Robert Plant / Alison Krauss - Gone, Gone, Gone
3. Paul Anka - Diana
4. Love - Alone Again Or
5. Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl
6. Dick Stratton & The Nite Owls - Music City USA
7. Casey Musgraves - Merry Go Round
8. Ben E King - Stand By Me

scully Posted - 02/02/2014 : 11:03:45
Hi John, thanks for the heads up. Whispering Bob and the OGWT were a great introduction to a lot of things. His interview with Keith Richards is an absolute classic. Still catch his show on Radio 2 occasionally, it's americana/country and he does play some great things on occasion.

Let's hope the Radio 4 listeners get some Love today :)

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page