Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Gene Clark LP

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rocker Posted - 02/04/2013 : 17:51:47
lk et al....Just an fyi for Clark fans..

Clark's lp, Two Sides to Every Story, is out on 180g vinyl from High Moon Records. In late spring, the 2 disc cd set will be out with rare and unreleased songs.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 09/04/2013 : 10:15:11
Yes Signed RW and Dukie - I really wish that I had kept my own copies. In the days before remastered CDs with bonus tracks and detailed annotation, the likes of Zig Zag and Dark Star (and of course The Castle) would research our favourite groups and artists in a way in which mainstream publications could never do. Reading them was almost as pleasurable as listening to the music. They somehow added to the mystique of it all - and we could still believe in the Gethsemene myth....I really miss those days.
Dukie Posted - 09/04/2013 : 08:56:17
I still have all of my copies of Dark Star , early copies of Zig Zig, Omaha Rainbow and Hot Wacks as well. Essential reading back in the 1970's.
SignedRW Posted - 09/04/2013 : 00:15:27
Nice one, John. Thanks for posting. I believe that this writer, Steve Burgess, did some really nice, in depth stuff on Spirit, back around the same time as this. Between "Dark Star," "Zig Zag," and a bit of "Omaha Rainbow," there were no better music publications in the world at that time, for my money. My friend Pete Long, author of the truly essential Neil Young book, "Ghosts On The Road," was also a "Dark Star" contributor.
John9 Posted - 08/04/2013 : 22:56:12
Just found that 1977 Dark Star interview. It should make an excellent companion piece to the album:

http://geneclark.com/echoesinter.html
John9 Posted - 08/04/2013 : 22:16:41
I saw Gene Clark live with his band not long after the release of Two Sides...and I especially remember Sister Moon being performed.Shortly after that Gene gave a really in depth inteview in which he traced the origins of bluegrass through the Appalachens and back to Elizabethan England. But then he went on to say that the No Other sessions from 1974 had a yielded considerable number of tracks that had not made the final album. I've never known for certain what these were but I did once hear a 1974 take of a song that later appeared on Two Sides.

As far as I can recall, Two Sides garnered lukewarm reviews upon its original release. But it would be fascinating to hear it again....and I can remember really enjoying the harmony work from Emmylou Harris. Amongst his several masterpieces, Gene never put out anything less than a decent album - he had been by far the most consistent and prolific member of the fab five and when, in 1970, Arthur Lee paid tribute to his influence, there could have been no greater praise.
scully Posted - 06/04/2013 : 20:46:28
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

What are the extras? Bonus tracks? I have the very rare Near-Mint 1977 original RSO/Polydor vinyl, still in the shrink, so is it worth it for me to get the High Moon release?

Can't say I agree with the review below, comparing it to No Other, but I love Two Sides!! Did High Moon use the same album cover art?

Hi LK

Don't know about the extras -- seems they are only on the download (free with the vinyl) which has been 'delayed' :)

I think I'd be more inclined to go for the White Light demos, I love that album. No Other is incomparable though :)

Scully
lemonade kid Posted - 06/04/2013 : 19:59:42
What are the extras? Bonus tracks? I have the very rare Near-Mint 1977 original RSO/Polydor vinyl, still in the shrink, so is it worth it for me to get the High Moon release?

Can't say I agree with the review below, comparing it to No Other, but I love Two Sides!! Did High Moon use the same album cover art?

Gene Clark - Two Sides to Every Story (1977) [Polydor 835739-2]
Country Rock

Two Sides was Gene Clark's last solo album for a major label. Signed to RSO Records shortly after his wildly experimental (and occasionally engaging) 1974 Elektra album, No Other, which is often cited as his masterpiece, Clark and producer Thomas Jefferson Kaye released this. Two Sides is a much lower-key affair, and it succeeds on many more levels than the more heralded No Other. Clark's explorations into country music are much more at home on this album, as tracks such as "Mary Lou" and "Kansas City Southern" demonstrate. Oddly, one of the highlights of this record is a non-Clark composition, the traditional "In the Pines," which showcases Clark's brilliant (and underrated) vocal ability. The following year would see Clark team up with ex-Byrd mates Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman on the forgettable McGuinn, Clark & Hillman project. Two Sides shows Clark in full command of his awesome gifts. Essential for Gene Clark enthusiasts.

Tracks

1 Home Run King
2 Lonely Saturday
3 In the Pines
4 Kansas City
5 Give My Love to Marie
6 Sister Moon
7 Marylou
8 Hear the Wind
9 Past Addresses
10 Silent Crusade

Anyway, I just got the White Light Demos from a good friend , so I'm satisfied -- got my Gene Clark fix for now.

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk
scully Posted - 06/04/2013 : 19:34:46
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

Hi Scully, I assume that you bought your Black Beauty from the USA? It doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet (I think Spin have given up on it) .

Hi Dukie,

Hope you're well.

Yes, I got my copy direct from High Moon. The postage was ridiculous, but I used my birthday as an excuse to indulge myself :)
Dukie Posted - 06/04/2013 : 13:00:20
Hi Scully, I assume that you bought your Black Beauty from the USA? It doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet (I think Spin have given up on it) .
scully Posted - 06/04/2013 : 08:32:29
quote:
Originally posted by ruxprncd

Did they mention late spring of what year?

Kidding, sort of :)

Yeah, they seem to run on their own schedule :)

But, seems to be available right now: http://www.highmoonrecords.com/shop/

Along with Black Beauty of course.
I was kind of wondering how BB was selling. My copy is numbered in the 500s (of 5000), but not sure they send them out consecutively.

Also, more good stuff for Gene fans (and who is not a fan of Gene Clark):

http://omnivorerecordings.com/2013/01/coming-march-26-gene-clark/
ruxprncd Posted - 05/04/2013 : 01:16:14
Did they mention late spring of what year?

Kidding, sort of :)
lemonade kid Posted - 02/04/2013 : 18:01:31
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk et al....Just an fyi for Clark fans..

Clark's lp, Two Sides to Every Story, is out on 180g vinyl from High Moon Records. In late spring, the 2 disc cd set will be out with rare and unreleased songs.

Very good!

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page