Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Bryan's alcoholism

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
abraxas Posted - 01/03/2013 : 19:04:56
I just had a question about Bryan's alcoholism. I don't think it's really talked about that much on the boards here, but it did occur during his time with the Byrds, Love, and post-Love which he did off and on when went back and forth from a ministry doing Christian songs. Why did it take all the way until the mid 1990s to get into rehab, when he could've been sober and make a comeback in the late 1970s/80s with Rhino? He could've succesful doing Broadway scores or producing his step-sister's music. But I'm not sure his bi-polar(this is confirmed by his mother in an interview a few years back) had contributed to his constant relapses. I'm not insulting Bryan Maclean in any way, but just commenting on his life and what he had done. I'm not slandering his name by mentioning alcoholism, because it's known that he had suffered since the 1960s all the way to the mid 1990s witl alcoholism alongside his bipolar personality. So I don't want anyone to bash for anything.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 19/03/2013 : 21:37:25
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk..we must've been on the same track here today!
Well I just went out to a record store and picked up the 180 gram Love album "cut from the original analog master". Not sure if anybody has heard it yet (did you or perhaps Michael or Johnny?). I'm curious now how it will sound. Engineer was Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. They appear to be pretty professional. Hey now should I open it?? This thing is like a reverential object if you get the drift ...Consensus??...

Had not heard of this pressing! I would take a thin blade and carefully slit the shrink only one the side where the record slides out (stickers on the shrink increase value). Of course I would get a heavy record sleeve protector too from you local record shop.

Rarely, the shrink is so tight it "bends" or warps the record jacket over time, so your judgement there; but I usually try to save the shrink & not just rip it off. If you remove the shrink, get a protective sleeve cover for sure.

ENJOY! It must sound great! Is this the first Love album? Which?

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk
rocker Posted - 19/03/2013 : 21:01:01
lk..we must've been on the same track here today!
Well I just went out to a record store and picked up the 180 gram Love album "cut from the original analog master". Not sure if anybody has heard it yet (did you or perhaps Michael or Johnny?). I'm curious now how it will sound. Engineer was Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. They appear to be pretty professional. Hey now should I open it?? This thing is like a reverential object if you get the drift ...Consensus??...
lemonade kid Posted - 19/03/2013 : 16:47:17
Yes. Michael has said many times that it was AND is an honor to have been a part of Love and to have recorded FC with Arthur.

Michael just hears all the limits of that 8 track process--it just grates; and it was not possible for Arthur & Bruce to tweak it just a bit more to his satisfaction--the bass and drums were on the same track and there was no way to make any adjustments! Arthur even admitted (later) the mix could have been better, but just couldn't be done. Too many overdubs and they needed that last track for the strings!

But it's not unusual for artists to be unable to listen, or view, their works.

Gene Clark, on the other hand, would drive his wife nuts by listening to his latest album day & night! He had no trouble wanting to hear his "baby" over and over. I love Gene!

-lk
rocker Posted - 19/03/2013 : 16:14:37
He even said in a question I asked him that he was extremely proud and lucky to have participated in LoVE.

Well I'm glad about that. he helped to make some beautiful music for all time.
Joe Morris Posted - 18/03/2013 : 23:22:34
I don't think McCartney thought much of Revolver when he first heard it played back, thought it sounded wrong

And Lennon wanted to rerecord every single one of his Beatles classics - to him the songs just reminded him of the sessions

He was proud of the fact that they recorded their first album in a day though!
underture Posted - 18/03/2013 : 15:34:52
Never meant to imply that Michael has disowned his participation in FC or the group. In fact, the opposite. I believe on his part he is hearing the technical and musical imperfections in the album, and being the outstanding musician that he is is just giving his honest opinion on the masterpiece. He even said in a question I asked him that he was extremely proud and lucky to have participated in LoVE.

You set the scene
Joe Morris Posted - 18/03/2013 : 14:54:16
I'm sure Arthur would've shown Bryan the songs and gone over how to play them

According to the Einarson book, Arthur did not play on FC

rocker Posted - 18/03/2013 : 14:44:41
I still think that BM's contribution to FC has been greatly under estimated; if you listen to the goddamned thing, it's all BM's acoustic guitar!

And I can hear that too. And you can tell that acoustic in some of the songs also had great 'punch' particularly MTPWBTTOBCH. I figure Arthur no doubt wanted that. He was kinda a 'punchy' guy........;-)..
lemonade kid Posted - 17/03/2013 : 14:37:32
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Bryan felt it was a "prosaic mix"

And his singing on "Old man" made him want to hide behind the couch, as I recall!

Yeah, I can't stand it either. If you compare the keys that he sang it in on the demo tape ("ifyoubelievein") and FC, you'd find that the key on the demo tape is one whole step lower than the FC version, and his voice sounds much better.
I always hated OM because of his wimpy-sounding voice on FC, but then when I heard it on the demo tape, I realized that it's literally a work of genius on BM's part as a songwriter.
I wonder why he sang it in such a high key on FC?
I hope you-know-who had nothing to do with it...
I still think that BM's contribution to FC has been greatly under estimated; if you listen to the goddamned thing, it's all BM's acoustic guitar! I doubt that AL told BM what chords to play.
Betwixt his superb rhythm guitar playing, and DA's great arrangements, I think there's a reason why FC is better than anything else that AL ever did...

quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

quote:

And his singing on "Old man" made him want to hide behind the couch, as I recall!

Yeah, I can't stand it either. If you compare the keys that he sang it in on the demo tape ("ifyoubelievein") and FC, you'd find that the key on the demo tape is one whole step lower than the FC version, and his voice sounds much better.
I always hated OM because of his wimpy-sounding voice on FC, but then when I heard it on the demo tape, I realized that it's literally a work of genius on BM's part as a songwriter.

I still think that BM's contribution to FC has been greatly under estimated; if you listen to the goddamned thing, it's all BM's acoustic guitar! I doubt that AL told BM what chords to play.
Betwixt his superb rhythm guitar playing, and DA's great arrangements, I think there's a reason why FC is better than anything else that AL ever did...

Hey, smle...I agree about Bryan's great contribution to FC on every song!

In fact every member of that Love made FC what it was and it would not be the same without them. Arthur played for them, each bare bones & rough composition, and trusted them all to run with it!

And Man, did they!!

When I listen to the andifyoubelievein LP I hear Bryan's genius on his rhythm super-strumming, it's on the level of Pete Townsend when he lets loose on Pin Ball Wizard with those rhythm riffs!

-lk

-lk
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 17/03/2013 : 06:08:16
quote:

rocker Posted - 17/03/2013 : 01:48:36
'Probably no true great artist ever really disowns any piece,really'

I can go with that. And From the looks of it though the guys that make art sure can have a different view of it than those who take in that art!
Joe Morris Posted - 16/03/2013 : 20:48:02

captain america and billy Posted - 16/03/2013 : 19:27:47
Probably no true great artist ever really disowns any piece,really.What happens is actually natural transformation we all experience as we age.The more socially conscious writers in the sixties happened to be highly adept at expressing these "Forever Changes".They don't abandon their works,they just plain move onward and upward through life,ever evolving,ever adjusting their perspectives on things.
rocker Posted - 16/03/2013 : 19:08:01
'Michael also never listens to FC; funny how one of the greatest albums of all time is never heard by its creators. Maybe the trauma that went with it's recording contibuted to their reservations about it?'

You know I hope the fact of 'not listening' doesn't mean disowning it particularly Michael and Bryan.
underture Posted - 15/03/2013 : 15:15:58
quote:

Bryan never listened to Forever Changes

Michael also never listens to FC; funny how one of the greatest albums of all time is never heard by its creators. Maybe the trauma that went with it's recording contibuted to their reservations about it?

You set the scene

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page