Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 The Times: 25 Greatest Gigs Ever, Love RFH 2003

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikeb Posted - 27/11/2012 : 14:48:09
Prior to the Rolling Stones gig The Times on Saturday ran a feature The 25 Greatest Gigs ever, 8 of their writers contributed. It's not clear whether the list is in order or a just a list of 25, Love with Arthur Lee, Royal Festival Hall London 2003 is 21.

"Fresh out of jail (for threatening his neighbour with a gun) LA's most unlikely peace and love guru teamed up with the young band Baby Lemonade and a chamber orchestra to play his 1967 acid rock masterpiece Forever Changes. Looking cool in a fedora and headband Lee rose to the challenge, his quivering falsetto bringing out the elegance and beauty of one of rock's greatest albums.

Key moment: A clearly nervous Lee played the delicate introduction to Alone Again Or. The crowd erupts. He looks like he doesn't know what hit him.

Best song: The Red Telephone, with its line "Sitting on the hillside, watching all the people die. I'll feel much better on the other side." Lee died three years later."

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dukie Posted - 30/11/2012 : 14:24:31
It was at the Creation Records event at the Royal Albert Hall in 1994 that Arthur (allegedly) took a tumble over the drum kit. I didn't know about this show so did not attend, but did see Arthur the night before at The Garage where he was backed by the High Llamas.
Joe Morris Posted - 30/11/2012 : 01:12:18
didn't Arthur play this venue at a Hendrix tribute and end up playing the drums with his hands after falling backwards doing Your Mind & We?
Dukie Posted - 29/11/2012 : 00:33:52
I agree about the RFH. I was too far away for a start and much preferred the front view at Bristol two nights before.
stewart Posted - 29/11/2012 : 00:12:29
their 8 writers wont have been to that many gigs in last 50 yrs!and likely to mostly have been in London anyway. Have to disagree re RFH, it lacked any atmosphere cf to others on that tour, the standing only gig at Manchester Academy was the best of the tour by far, like being at the Olympics 100m final. The gig there the previous year was even better http://love.torbenskott.dk/tour/20020610_manchester.asp and Liverpool '92 was a cracking atmosphere too.

All up there along with my other alltime best - Captain Beefheart @ Middle Earth, London 20/1/1968 and at Newcastle Club a Gogo. The Doors/Jefferson Airplane @ the Roundhouse, and assorted appearances by Ed Kuepper, Archie Bronson Outfit, Low, Spain, Mazzy Star and Sparklehorse, Sex Pistols, The La's, Magnolia Electric Co, Morphine, Country Joe,REM,The Walkabouts and of course the Stones
Joe Morris Posted - 29/11/2012 : 00:01:13
Robyn Hitchcock play it?
Dukie Posted - 27/11/2012 : 15:30:19
I, and a few other members of this board, was there!
lemonade kid Posted - 27/11/2012 : 15:01:43
Thanks for this....I've always thought it the best live performance for my money, so I'm happy to see this!

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten.

~ Cree Prophecy

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page