Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 1969 "reunion"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
abraxas Posted - 25/07/2012 : 01:39:00
I'm not sure if this was worst than Arthur's reunion with Bryan. The FC book said that Johnny, Kenny, and Michael were pretty much strung up and were sub par at that show. I'm not sure if Bryan replased in '78 or was sober or not, or Arthur was during their Whisky shows.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 26/07/2012 : 23:31:30
I just wonder though whether it would have been quite the same had the reunion idea been persevered with - magic has a way of evaporating once its place and time have gone. The 1968-70 lineup has consistently divided opinion.....not least on these pages. To my mind they were inspired and highly professional musicians who gave a new edge to Arthur's work at a time when he still had a lot to say, musically... and when they came to England, they were excellent. But of course they too had to cope with Arthur's less than stable nature...very few really were able to work with him long term. But I suppose that with people as erratic yet uniquely gifted as he was, that very often went with the territory.
underture Posted - 26/07/2012 : 14:11:42
Johnny feels differently about how the band played from a technical point. Read on:

"Arthur finally realized that Love were in fact a group, consisting of Bryan, Kenny, Michael, Johnny, and himself. Where the original group would routinely fill rather large venue's, such as the Earl Warren Show Grounds, or the Fillmore Auditorium. His new group found it difficult to draw even a hundred people to the Whiskey. After several ill-fated outings, it was obvious the interest was just not there. They were often dissed in the press, and called "ham fisted impostors". Also the Record Companies were not happy about the lineup change. They were not looking for another predictable R&B act. An embarrassed Arthur, soon had had enough, and decided to get the original group back together.

All of the members, except Bryan, got together to play a "Warm-up" show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Bryan Chose to take this opportunity, to demand more of his songs be added to the set. Both Arthur and I said no, so he stayed home.

The show sounded great, the guys were playing better than ever, it would have been considered a success for any other group. But for us something was missing, that something was Bryan. The [magic] was not there. We just did not have the same sparkle, the give and take. The laughter and the kidding was gone. And so was the audience connection. Things had changed that quickly. Making an unhappy situation worse, Arthur had surrounded himself with people we did not know, or like. All things considered, it just wasn't the same. Over the next few weeks we talked it out, went back and forth, and finally decided to go our separate ways.

The sad part of it is, we could have worked it out. I'm absolutely certain that if I had been more together, and less consumed with "Chasing the Dragon. I could have kept this group of people, who were so much a part of each others lives, from making a mistake, we all came to regret !"

You set the scene

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page