Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Recording venues, post FC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
underture Posted - 19/06/2012 : 22:22:26
Has it ever been discussed why, after Arthur assembled his new band in mid-'68, he opted to 1) pay out of his own pocket for recording what would become Four Sail and Out Here and 2) in what was almost a home studio? If Elektra was so keen to get another album from LoVE, why wouldn't they have ponied up the money to go into Sunset Sound or RCA as they had previously? I can only guess that Arthur had had it with the bosses from Elektra and wanted total control of the procedings, but still I do wonder if Four Sail and (even more) Out Here would have benefitted greatly with a producer and being taped in better surroundings, recording wise.

You set the scene
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 20/06/2012 : 17:56:47
Thanks, Underture - of course, without a proper sessionography it is difficult to be completely accurate. According to The Four Sail booklet, the ten tracks for that album were recorded in September'68...alongside Doggone and Signed DC. By early October apparently, Elektra had their chosen tracks at their own studios so that reverb could be added. But according to Universal's Blue Thumb Recordings booklet, Out Here was still being recorded as late as October'69. I am certain that Jac Holzman would not have passed on Listen To My Song, Willow Willow, Gather Round or I Still Wonder if they had been available to him...they would have been just up his street. This said, I'm not sure why Elektra chose to delay the release of Four Sail until August'69.

I always think that Arthur's attitude to record label deals was a little impetuous. In 1970 he got Krasnow to release the band from their contract...but later said that this had been to his own loss rather than Blue Thumb's. And I vividly recall him telling a magazine over here during his '74 tour that he would really like to get back with Elektra. By then of course the company had become David Geffen's high profile Elektra/Asylum outfit and the feeling wasn't mutual. But then...how like the Arthur we all love!
underture Posted - 20/06/2012 : 13:46:09
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I suspect that some of Out Here's better tracks were recorded after Elektra had taken their share. Universal certainly did an excellent remastering on it a few years back.

Interesting take on things as I thought that essentially all of Four Sail and Out Here were done in one mass recording. This brings out the fact that Arthur was: 1) Again trying to get over on Elektra, which was always the case since Jan '66 when the band initially signed with them 2) Wanted total control of the sound now (I think after dealing with Jac and Bruce Botnick he was not going to deal with a producer if he didn't have to) 3) As crafty as ever if he was holding back on some of the songs that ended up on Out Here. If Krasnow hadn't jumped the gun then he might have gotten better stuff for Blue Thumb.

You set the scene
John9 Posted - 20/06/2012 : 00:45:11
I suspect that some of Out Here's better tracks were recorded after Elektra had taken their share. Universal certainly did an excellent remastering on it a few years back.
Joe Morris Posted - 20/06/2012 : 00:32:22
Four Sail and Out were all the same band, sessions..

Four Sail is more cohesive, perhaps cos Jac took the best 10 tracks for the album!
John9 Posted - 19/06/2012 : 23:32:20
I think that in Arthur's mind he had already jumped ship from Elektra and was intending that the new album would go to Bob Krasnow. I remember once Arthur saying that Krasnow spoke too soon about this as though it was already a done deal and that is when Jac Holzman intervened to stake Elektra's claim. According to the booklet for Universal's The Blue Thumb Recordings, Out Here was actually finished up at Sunset Sound Recorders in Hollywood - and so I wonder why that particular switch was made.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page