Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 BLUE THUMB ACETATE--Hendrix & Lee......Re-up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 25/09/2011 : 18:09:21
If there is by chance, a single person here who does not have this yet....it is worth the re-up.

DO IT!

The Everlasting First
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_CokhxnY7Y

FROM TORBEN SKOTT"S LOVE FORUM ENTRY......

Here is the complete entry from the recent Ultimate Hendrix live/sessions book:

Tuesday, March 17.1970
Olympic Studios, London, England
Engineer: Keith Harwood

Invited by Love's Arthur Lee to contribute to his band's album, Hendrix returned to Olympic Studios, the recording facility where he had recorded Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold As Love. Hendrix and percussionist Remi Kabaka joined Love in recording "The Everlasting First", which came out in December of 1970 as part of Love's False Start. The three musicians recorded sixteen takes of before a basic track met Lee's approval. Two clean, complete takes of Hendrix's own "Ezy Rider" followed next. Hendrix then took part in an extended instrumental jam session before departing.

Some comments:
the book appears to be wrong about Ezy Rider; the acetate has just two short incomplete takes. The jam is OK, I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of Jimi's many jam recordings.

Love were touring the UK/Europe in Feb/March 1970, so presumably most of the band were available and present at this session. Clearly it is more than three people. I doubt there are any overdubs on Ezy Rider, and besides Jimi I hear another guitar, bass, and drums. The jam has Jimi, two other guitars, bass, drums, and percussion.

Presumably the core band is Jimi, Gary Rowles - guitar, Frank Fayad - bass, and George Suranovich - drums. On the jam they are joined by either Arthur Lee or Noony Ricket on guitar, and Remi on percussion.

The released version of "The Everlasting First" has been padded with ~31 seconds of another take (the middle section just after the vocals end) grafted onto the start, preceded by the faint sounds of a deck rewinding. The last ~2 seconds have been replaces by a snippet apparently from some other song. Weird.

The acetate version has just a few of Arthur's vocals double tracked, while the released version has most of them doubled. Otherwise the two sound generally similar, no big change to the final mix.

As for Remi Kabaka, there is no mention of him on the False Start album liner notes. At the time he was a member of the band Osibisa which recorded a couple of well received proto-prog albums that mix African sounds with rock music. He would later work with Ginger Baker's Airforce, and the resurrected 1970s version of Traffic.

As for the song "The Everlasting First", it seems to be a song about original sin (I think that is what the title refers to), and the pain and suffering that has brought to man. In particular, it may be a blues to the death of Martin Luther King, maybe partly inspired by the year old hit Dion song "Abraham, Martin & John".

EASY RIDER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvqDs6lIUrY&feature=related

JAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrwchbvpqBE&feature=related

Here is the complete d/l...never issued of course, this has been distributed by loving fans for one and all!

http://gratefulbreed.blogspot.com/2011/01/arthur-lee-love-jimi-hendrix-stephen.html

SO FINE!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page