Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 FOREVER CHANGES-Track order, track choices

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 19/09/2011 : 20:21:07
The song order, determined by Jac I believe, is perfection.

"You Set The Scene" is the perfect coda to a perfect album!

I think the only song that is not universally loved from FC is "Bummer In The Summer"....and I honestly don't know why.

It is a great song and fits in well with the building climax of the "theme" of Forever Changes.
Just as "Alone Again Or" draws us into the album, "Bummer In The Summer" leads us to the climax.....the angry, jaded & resigned rap leads Arthur to the final resolution....peace & acceptance & Love.
Of course Arthur did not invent rap as some Youtube commentors suggest.
Dylan brought it to the popular forefront and the beat poets really started it....maybe the American Indians' chants...

What do you all think of the track order and song set? Besides PERFECTION, would you change it?

Bummer In The Summer.......very cool. Glastonbury 2004 , right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDVj1X5Qjew

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 21/09/2011 : 22:40:07
I remember "I do wonder" on the Arthur Lee Rhino album (and on the mid 70s EP) as being mentioned as a Forever Changes outtake (as I recall reading in old issues of the Castle!)

how this info came out... who knows? maybe Arthur or his band was interviewed when Love was touring the UK in the 70s? when the (bootleg?) "I Do Wonder" EP saw release
(it probably would've been mentioned in Zigzag!!)

I remember the "I Do Wonder" EP (on da capo records?) being mentioned in an old issue of Record Collector or somewhere and being seen as a return to form

of course the solo Arthur Lee album that featured the "I Do Wonder" tracks was NOT a return to form, probably the worst album Arthur ever put out (Love's Out here is not a bad album, as such, though it could use a decent editor!)

I think "I do wonder" was probably tackled live, along with "Down Street"

Heaven help the Love band if they were playing wretched stuff like "Bend down" and "One"

And "One" is the opening track! Yikes!!

John9 Posted - 20/09/2011 : 22:56:04
quote:
Originally posted by underture

I do wonder (pun intended) as to why "Wonder People" was left off the original pressing of FC. Space considerations, too bright in comparison to the other songs,..? I could see it somewhere after 'Good Humor Man' maybe or somewhere else?

You Set The Scene

I think that I Do Wonder is wonderful track....and I was delighted to see its inclusion ten years ago on the expanded Forever Changes. My wonder is that Arthur left the song the song unreleased for so many years. When he put out a re-recorded version in 1978, the music press over here heralded a return to....well I'm sure you can guess to what. In the meantime of course, he had recorded I Still Wonder, which would seem to be a direct sequel....although this would not have been apparent to fans upon that song's release in 1969/70. I suppose that it is possible that Arthur had forgotten that the first song hadn't actually seen the light of day. Come to think of it, the darker imagery on I Still Wonder that one might well have been more suited to the mood of Forever Changes .

Down in the middle of a nightmare daydream
I still wonder why
Joe Morris Posted - 20/09/2011 : 19:44:07
I think Casey Stengel invented rap, in the Fall 1949 season
rocker Posted - 20/09/2011 : 18:13:45
Of course Arthur did not invent rap as some Youtube commentors suggest.

I'd think that the case but I think he did something different there with BITS. I can see though how one would think he was a forerunner of rap because to me it seemed his rhyming scheme and lyric use was a "bit" unique there.

Personally, the track listing to me is perfect. (hey don't mind me but let's keep MLRB out of there... It's kind of a trip through one person's mind but it speaks for all.
lemonade kid Posted - 19/09/2011 : 22:07:28
quote:
Originally posted by underture

I do wonder (pun intended) as to why "Wonder People" was left off the original pressing of FC. Space considerations, too bright in comparison to the other songs,..? I could see it somewhere after 'Good Humor Man' maybe or somewhere else?

You Set The Scene

A great song, but for me, way too upbeat, in a pop tune kind of way, to fit into the FC mold--it almost has a Mamas & Papas kind of pop folk feel....I believe it was wise to not include it. Even Bryan's tunes that are included have a darker feel.

underture Posted - 19/09/2011 : 21:21:31

You Set The Scene

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page