Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 FAVORITE &/or RARE.... LoVE Pix

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 27/08/2011 : 02:28:35
this one credits Love at the Whiskey 1966? But I can't say if they were on the same bill as the DOORS at this time...still cool to see.

....it would be nice if this was THE GRASS ROOTS of pre-Love!

From the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium 1966

And these articles about Hendrix, Arthur etc....

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dukie Posted - 17/09/2011 : 02:37:07
I saw the shows at Birmingham, Salisbury and The Lyceum in London on that tour. There are recordings of Salisbury and London available....
John9 Posted - 16/09/2011 : 20:58:03
Hi Dukie - it was actually Liverpool...in an old boxing arena. Love really were on fire that night...performing great versions of classic songs: Alone Again Or, Andmoreagain, Seven and Seven Is, My Little Red Book, August, Nothing, Stand Out and The Everlasting First......all of these I remember as being especially strong. The venue was two thirds empty.....but I feel that the memory of that gig means more to me than those highly accomplished (and sellout) shows from 2002 onwards....wonderful as those were. Cheers.
Dukie Posted - 16/09/2011 : 18:39:09
Hi John, which 1975 gig did you see?
John9 Posted - 16/09/2011 : 17:31:43

Thanks, Harvey. It was just the disappointment of having come all that way (from Leicester) only to be denied a much looked forward to experience. I can remember buying Bud Scoppa's biography of The Byrds to console me on the train journey home. Still, I did get to see Love when they were back over here a year later, with a revised lineup....and I must have caught them on a really good night that time. Cheers.
harvey Posted - 16/09/2011 : 16:22:17
Hey John9 as I think I have said before do not beat yourself up too much about the Speakeasy gig in 1974 it was not much of a gig. Went on very late as we could not get equipment out until next morning. Pig of a gig to get equipment in and out (narrow passages) but I do remember how hot it was when we were setting up but luckily there was an ice making machine running. A lot of the gig consisted of people from the audience getting up and performing on the step (stage?). Do not think Arthur really liked it there, quite a small undeground club with lots of people ,mainly musos, expecting him to come out with something fantastic which he could not do with only a small band. There were better gigs on the tour.
Harvey the Roadie.
Dukie Posted - 16/09/2011 : 15:41:39
I would say that was in 1975 as well as there is a photo of Arthur and George Suranovich from this set of photos. George wasn't' on the 1974 tour (that was Joe Blocker on drums).
harvey Posted - 16/09/2011 : 00:23:37
I think that picture must be 1975, like Mikeb says, not 1974. Arthur never looked that good in 74
Harvey the Roadie
lemonade kid Posted - 16/09/2011 : 00:02:57
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I remember that tour really well.......but probably not as well as wendywhen. I couldn't get into London's Speakeasy.

Your mention of Portobello Road, LK puts me in mind of 1967 when it was attempting to rival Carnaby St. And, at the time, a UK band known as Spectrum wrote this song about it. The whole song really fits the picture...but especially the line:

Customers, Americans treat just like long lost friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXskWXRCjX0

I have to credit Mikeb for this pic and whereabouts....from another thread!

So where IS wendywhen?!! Or lizzyb ?

Thanks for the song, john...

John9 Posted - 15/09/2011 : 23:59:22
I remember that tour really well.......but probably not as well as wendywhen. I couldn't get into London's Speakeasy.

Your mention of Portobello Road, LK puts me in mind of 1967 when it was attempting to rival Carnaby St. And, at the time, a UK band known as Spectrum wrote this song about it. The whole song really fits the picture...but especially the line:

Customers, Americans treat it just like long lost friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXskWXRCjX0
lemonade kid Posted - 15/09/2011 : 23:43:08
I added this one, mikeb....such a great pic of Arthur

Portobello Road, London 1974 UK tour...1975!

Arthur's infectious charm radiates ...what a nice moment to have captured.

John9 Posted - 01/09/2011 : 21:29:47

These last two are magnificent, LK. I think that there's a colour version of the Out Here poster on Ebay. As for Your Mind and We ...I've definitely never see that issue before. I'v got a friend who has an original UK version of that one..I shall ask him to check it out. Cheers!
lemonade kid Posted - 01/09/2011 : 17:53:30
OUT HERE poster and ad....anyone have a better repro of this? I tried to blow it up a bit.....

Love Arthur Lee Rare 1969 Concert Poster Ad
PERFORMERS:
Cannabis
Condello
Love
VENUE:
Santa Monica Civic Auditorium California
DATE: 11/7/69
YEAR: 1969
CATEGORY:
Original Newspaper / Magazine Ads
SIZE: 11x17
NOTES:
These original newspaper ads are from the original sources and give a great look back into the past. We can assume that for many of these events, posters may not have been produced, leaving the ads as the most graphic print material representing the event. These are originals, not copies or reproductions.

http://www.concertposterart.com/poster/display/Love-Arthur-Lee-Rare-1969-Concert-Poster-Ad

This from...
http://redredwineonasunday.blogspot.com/2011/03/ebay-rock-45s-31111.html

Love Your Mind and We Belong Together $299.99

"From the Auction: here's a Love single that is so rare I didn't even know it had been released here :

A first pressing of the 7 inch single "Your mind and we belong together/Laughing stock" by LOVE (with ARTHUR LEE) as released in Holland in 1968 on Elektra EK 45633. It comes in the original picture sleeve."

TORBEN!! Have you seen this?!!
I hadn't seen a pic before. I don't see a scan....in "singles"

lemonade kid Posted - 29/08/2011 : 22:30:11
Dukie....

This from Michael in answer to your question about the pic with Arthur on the double neck guitar and Johnny on tambourine and lead vocal....I asked what song would put them in each others shoes!?

"The only song this could be is "Revelation" where Arthur starts it off on Johnny's guitar and Johnny is doing the vocal, which is the way it is on the record as well." ...M.S-W

lemonade kid Posted - 29/08/2011 : 19:13:03
quote:
Originally posted by The Freedom Man

Yes, they are Johhny River-At The Whisky A Go Go and the one on top is Johnny Rivers- Meanwhile Back At The Whisky A Go Go

http://www.thefreedomman.com/
PRESS THE LINK!

Johnny Rivers was the one who really got the Whiskey success story stared I believe. Then, LOVE & THE DOORS took over the mantle as Rivers' star faded....for a while.

The Freedom Man Posted - 29/08/2011 : 19:09:07
Yes, they are Johhny River-At The Whisky A Go Go and the one on top is Johnny Rivers- Meanwhile Back At The Whisky A Go Go

http://www.thefreedomman.com/
PRESS THE LINK!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page