Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Love Four Sail - a triple meaning?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 15/08/2011 : 01:02:50
We all know the story about Arthur's deliberate play on words for this album title. Love (four of them) were sailing away from Elektra and were therefore 'for sale'. But I wonder if he also had in mind Cole Porter' dreamy and classic composition Love For Sale from the 1930 musical, The New Yorkers.

Here's a version from the incomparable Billie Holiday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6jvMgLGMQ

"Love for sale
Advertising young love for sale
Love that's fresh and still unspoiled
Love that's only slightly soiled" - what a brilliant lyric....and quite risque for the time.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 05/10/2011 : 21:06:17
When I leave now don't you weep for me
I'll be back, just save a seat for me
But if you just can't make the room
Look up and see me on the...

Moon's a common scene around my town
Here where everyone is painted brown
And if we feel that's not the way
Let's go paint everybody gray
Yeah, gray, yeah

don't mind me..I like this song and these verses..I'm just finishing up what lk posted..
jayson_valentine Posted - 29/09/2011 : 09:22:01
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Thanks, Wendy...there really is no end to this is there? And here's another. Signed DC - in his interview for the Out There compilation, Arthur speaks of the Don Conka / District Columbia word play. But I've just read that the Italian musical term Da Capo (from the beginning) is usually shortened to the notation......D.C. As that master of the paranoia, David Crosby would say, there's definitely something going on here! ...and by the way, I've only just noticed his initials!

Here's another possibility: 'da capo' also means 'the boss', which was exactly what Arthur was.
Joe Morris Posted - 02/09/2011 : 02:40:19
I'm assuming that Arthur was kidding about D.C. being District of Columbia!
kdion11 Posted - 02/09/2011 : 00:30:32
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Thanks, Wendy...there really is no end to this is there? And here's another. Signed DC - in his interview for the Out There compilation, Arthur speaks of the Don Conka / District Columbia word play. But I've just read that the Italian musical term Da Capo (from the beginning) is usually shortened to the notation......D.C. As that master of the paranoia, David Crosby would say, there's definitely something going on here! ...and by the way, I've only just noticed his initials!

KD: Or, even better put: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't really against you !
lemonade kid Posted - 01/09/2011 : 21:50:50
This from flicker.com

Sunset Strip - BETWEEN Clark and Hilldale

"Between Clark and Hilldale" was a song from the album "Forever Changes" by Love, written by Arthur Lee about this block on Sunset Boulevard. So was the hit song "For What Its Worth" by the Buffalo Springfield.

The "Whisky A Go Go" is the red building at the right, at the Clark Street end. Many famous recording groups had there big break here. This continues to be a rock venue. Tower Records, which at one time had the best selection of recorded music in LA (not to mention a sales staff seething with "attitude"), was a few blocks beyond the Whisky.

The Hollywood Sign makes a cameo appearance on the hill at the right edge of the photo.

"What is happening and how have you been
Gotta go but I'll see you again
And oh, the music is so loud
And then I fade into the...

Crowds of people standing everywhere
'Cross the street I'm at this laugh affair
And here they always play my songs
And me, I wonder if it's...

Wrong or right they come here just the same
Telling everyone about their games
And if you think it obsolete
Then you go back across the street"

"Between Clark and Hilldale" by Arthur Lee of "Love"

(The last word of most verses (implied to be the first word of the next verse) is omitted in the song as originally recorded.)
------------------------------------------------------------------

and this from GRIDSKIPPER
http://gridskipper.com/archives/categories/citysong.php

No one got last week's obscure Citysong answer. It was the great Love Song "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale". This photo is of the Hamburger Hamlet, home of a great hamburger and also located on Santa Monica Blvd between Hilldale and Clark.....

John9 Posted - 01/09/2011 : 21:00:55
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know I have to say when I got FC and saw the title of one of the songs as "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale". I said what kind of a title is that. And after that well it was history....btw, what's going on "Between Clark and Hilldale" today...bob??????

Ah yes, the alternative titles that were so beloved of Arthur Lee - another one is Love Is More Than Words or Better Late Than Never. This is another clever one - Gary Rowles' interminable guitar solo proving indeed that Love were more than just the words of their songs.
rocker Posted - 01/09/2011 : 14:17:49
You know I have to say when I got FC and saw the title of one of the songs as "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale". I said what kind of a title is that. And after that well it was history....btw, what's going on "Between Clark and Hilldale" today...bob??????
John9 Posted - 01/09/2011 : 10:43:02
wendywhen Posted - 01/09/2011 : 10:04:44
Other album titles with "play-on-words"
Forever changes >>> the end of that band/sound/style as far as Arthur was concerned
Vindicator >>> stepping out as Arthur Lee and not LOVE
Black Beauty >>> all-black band and a different sound... more Bluesy/soulful singing
I don't have a clue what Real to reel was about

That was fun!!!!

YOU GOT TO TAKE LOVE WHERE YOU CAN FIND IT

...some old blues song or another
rocker Posted - 18/08/2011 : 14:17:28
Arthur hated Manhattan.

heh heh if so I was sensitive!! But I know Arthur was LA through and through. I think if he came and did many more shows in NY with the band it would have done well for them, i.e. given them more publicity. A band really needed that then.
John9 Posted - 17/08/2011 : 00:27:57
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

hmmm..intersting there with "The New Yorkers"...and Arthur's "I'm With You" refs "Manhattan" in the lyrics...all things are connected!

Yes, Rocker a good link there. And that beautiful song Dream contains a reference to the Big Apple as well.

Going back to the song Love For Sale, I've just come across a much later and more upbeat version by Jane Birkin....although of course in comparison with her classic, J'taime, I suppose it seems pretty tame. This latter song I never got to hear during the late 60s...the BBC had banned it and all talk of it in our house was.....disallowed.
Joe Morris Posted - 16/08/2011 : 22:52:21
Arthur hated Manhattan. Split that night, according to Holzman
rocker Posted - 16/08/2011 : 22:12:52
hmmm..intersting there with "The New Yorkers"...and Arthur's "I'm With You" refs "Manhattan" in the lyrics...all things are connected!
Joe Morris Posted - 15/08/2011 : 22:54:47
apparently about the hotline to the president..

huh!
captain america and billy Posted - 15/08/2011 : 20:51:30
I love the kind of artist who at times is so difficult to interperate,there is genius even in their subtle mysteries.The lyrical content of "Red Telephone" stands as scintillating testimony.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page