Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 The Crazy World Of Arthur (Brown)......:)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 20/04/2011 : 19:30:08

Some horn flourishes that could be inspired by LoVE though it has more of a James Brown flourish (in fact James Brown appears on this right?). Surely, as all over the map as FC and a defining psych classic masterpiece that presages & influenced the progressive music movement.

Certainly there was method to his madness. How many nearly disastrous fires did Arthur Brown's pyrotechnics produce?!!

Did Alice Cooper get his inspiration from Mr Brown!! We loved this one driving on down the highway in 1968!!

FIRE!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOErZuzZpS8

FROM head trip, cult classic Peter Syles' "The Commitee".....NIGHTMARE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5hs3IDETcg&feature=related

"A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"...really. Fantastic! Quite ominous!
Is he in a Civil War outfit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCiHXmVjmA4&feature=related

And from 2010!! A little Tom Waits going here! Really a brilliant reading 40 years on!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXXyTJioQ24&feature=related

STONED
I AM
-iconic 60's button
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
captain america and billy Posted - 30/04/2011 : 15:53:56
Syd Barrett.A tremendously influential visionary and perhaps rock's most tragic case of misunderstood geniius.
Joe Morris Posted - 30/04/2011 : 00:16:56
the most recent Record Collector magazine (Syd Barrett cover) has quite a good article on Tim Buckley btw

I like the instrumental version of Nick's Black Eyed Dog that turned up on Time Has Told Me (Schoolkids Records) - haunting stuff - very hard to listen to

How hard? "Know" hard!
lemonade kid Posted - 29/04/2011 : 19:52:59
I love Black Eyed Dog....some great guitar licks there!!

STONED
I AM
-iconic 60's button
Joe Morris Posted - 29/04/2011 : 04:13:43
Four Sail wasn't a great album, few silly songs, the penultimate track I kinda wish had a scratch across so I never had to listen to, kinda like "Black eyed dog" (for different reasons - Nicks blues track is painful knowing his dreadful condition in 1974!

Jac really left a few decent tracks off of Four Sail that turned up on Out There (Out Here) (whatever) - "Willow Willow" is a great track; "Abalony" is not

I'd focus on the early Love for to start, the Elektra period. Maybe pretend "Revelation" was never recorded; I'm sure most Love fans do and treat da capo as an EP (a la the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour, where the Fab Four were doing a tour of tea shops)

Arthur lost his way after ditching the rest of the band, but hopefully Gethesemene will see release by Johnny (one of these years) (David Angels helping out on it in Switzerland is a good sign!)

And of course there are half a dozen Bryan solo albums, which make it possible to fantasize how great it would've been if da capo had more of his songs on side 2 and less of "Revelation"

Kinda a missed opportunity there

pick up Bryans ifyoubelievein in particular
captain america and billy Posted - 28/04/2011 : 16:44:23
At any stage of his career,Lee had VISION FIRST!That's the key element absent from today's conceptions.There's no substantial underlying vision.Instead,everybody rushes far too quickly to their instruments and lyric pads and forces out trite,pretentious clap trap.I like music where I can't just HEAR it,I can really get inside the conveyor's soul and really FEEL it.This is also inherent in the finer classic instrumentals like Paul Mauriat's "Love is Blue" and Barry White's "Love's Theme".And of course in the timeless catalog of one MR. Henry Mancini,many of whom's film scores are as classic as the movies themselves!(Major point of reference here,"The Pink Panther Theme")
John9 Posted - 28/04/2011 : 16:36:21

Right on, Allanagain! It is my second favourite after 'Changes'. Of course the band was heavier....but Arthur still had his muse and consequently, strong melodies and sophisticated but delicate arrangements featured prominently.
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 28/04/2011 : 12:55:26
FOUR SAIL is a great album Captain....30 thracks recorded in a vacant lot in L.A. after the "CHANGES" BAND HAD SPLIT. Elektra had 1st. choice on them and took what they considdered the "best" foir F.S.
tHE REST APPEAR ON OUT HERE- OUT THERE albums.
best LOVE line - up ever in my opinion....give it a listen back to front.
F.C. is a great album...but if u wanna rock..check 4 SAIL
captain america and billy Posted - 27/04/2011 : 20:04:21
From what I've heard of "Sail" on "The Essential Love",sounds like any comparison with "Changes" would be utterly unfounded in any sort of constructive basis.Lee's reassembled roster was no doubt direct result of the artists continuing thirst for varying perspective.This is what the great ones do as well as change their musical platitudes just as their personal attitudes change with age."Sail" was produced just at the time when flowery exhibitions of altruism were morphing into rougher toned high electric conveyances,as masterfully displayed in performances of even greater zeal by Led Zeppelin,Black Sabbath,and an updated more forthright version of the Who.All of the rock greats went through change.Serious change.While someone like Dylan didn't quite go through many drastic changes,he did make himself more accessible than his raw early folk,and there was his born again period.
lemonade kid Posted - 25/04/2011 : 18:51:57
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Can't understand how this one somehow fell through the cracks with the many presevers of solidly fluent sixties pop.Was the drummer for this the Love sticksman for "Four Sail"?Haven't heard that exact record,but I do enjoy a few of its tracks on an "Essential Love" cd.

You must get FOUR SAIL, capt' The very best Love lineup AND album sans Johnny, Bryan, Michael & Kenny......

STONED
I AM
-iconic 60's button
captain america and billy Posted - 25/04/2011 : 15:50:10
Can't understand how this one somehow fell through the cracks with the many presevers of solidly fluent sixties pop.Was the drummer for this the Love sticksman for "Four Sail"?Haven't heard that exact record,but I do enjoy a few of its tracks on an "Essential Love" cd.
lemonade kid Posted - 20/04/2011 : 21:10:57
quote:
Originally posted by John9

The frightening thing about this is that I remember this Top of the Pops episode so vividly. And of course the guy on drums (and behind the mask) is Drachen Theaker.....soon to become a member of Love, albeit briefly. It is said that Arthur Lee hired him without audition, once he heard that Drachen had played on Fire.

Now I've got another group
Didn't take too long
De De De etc

Will the circle be unbroken?!! Good one John!

STONED
I AM
-iconic 60's button
John9 Posted - 20/04/2011 : 20:38:35
The frightening thing about this is that I remember this Top of the Pops episode so vividly. And of course the guy on drums (and behind the mask) is Drachen Theaker.....soon to become a member of Love, albeit briefly. It is said that Arthur Lee hired him without audition, once he heard that Drachen had played on Fire.

Now I've got another group
Didn't take too long
De De De etc

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page