Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Arthur and The Ninth Wave

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 14/04/2011 : 22:47:19
As we know, the first time Arthur Lee was heard on a commercially available recording was in 1963 on his LAGs single (on Capitol) The Ninth Wave. Earlier this evening, I came upon these lines in an anthology of poetry:

And then the two
Dropt to the cove, and watched the great sea fall,
Wave after wave, each mightier than the last,
Till last, a ninth one, gathering half the deep
And full of voices, slowly rose and plunged
Roaring, and all the wave was in a flame

And the poem...........The Coming of Arthur by Alfred Lord Tennyson (1856)

Of course, it is possible that Arthur Lee was borrowing from Californian surfing parlance rather than Arthurian legend - but it is interesting to see a deeper resonance to it all. Coincidentally, Kate Bush entitles the entire second side of her 1985 Hounds of Love masterpiece The Ninth Wave - brilliantly weaving into the music a succession of images,sounds, memories and flashbacks from a dream of near drowning. And just to round things off, here's the 1850 Russian painting with the same title and theme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_picture_candidates/The_Ninth_Wave
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 18/04/2011 : 18:20:12
hehehhehehhhehh...good one ole Arthur and Bax!!!

john..hey I liked Tintagel so much I would've stayed on there to just take the tickets! I'd get paid just with the view!...;-)...PS I got lost when I left..it was light when I looked over the cliffs...it was dark when I tried to find my away around Bodmin..no lights!!!!!..but the spirit of "Arthur" was with me...
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 16/04/2011 : 06:41:24
Hmm, Tintagel? Maybe AL listened to Arnold Bax...
John9 Posted - 15/04/2011 : 20:46:45
Rocker - thanks for that. You're right - Sir Lancelot on the Four Sail album sleeve complements the theme perfectly....I would imagine that William S. Harvey gets the credit for that one. I've mentioned in another posting that Peter Schauman's representation of the band members on the rear cover makes them resemble four Norse gods. I've been quite a frequent visitor to Tintagel over the years.....it soon sends your imagination into overdrive.

Gatemouthmore.....a fascinating theory....and there was me thinking it was actually Ben Jonson. But I'll look into it...I love doing research!
gatemouthmoore Posted - 15/04/2011 : 19:42:19
Forget Bacon, Arthur was the true Bard of Avon.... He wrote all of Shakespeare's plays.
rocker Posted - 15/04/2011 : 14:05:11
john...good stuff..that painting is remarkable..and as for the poetry I think it's amazingg that its lines can be said right by where Arthur was supposedly born, Tintagel, and they'd fit perfectly considering the views which are right by the ocean and there is also absolutely a cove there.......and you don't think the knight on the cover of Four Sail means anything?????....secrets of Arthur!....wooooooooo....

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page