Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Black Beauty LoVE band to perform live.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 01/04/2011 : 21:43:32
In case anyone missed this in the concert thread....

Got his from RW.....along with THE KAI CLARK BANDperforming his father Gene Clark's music, the LoVE Band from Black Beauty will perform at a tribute show TO GENE CLARK & ARTHUR LEE.
At The Roxy in LA, April 29th, presented by High Moon Records.

With SPECIAL SURPRISE GUESTS! Anyone we know?!!
Wish I could make it.

My interest IS piqued with the "special surprise guests" teaser!

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 11/04/2011 : 15:28:24
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Rozelle?

Surely, ex band members who have so recently passed on deserve more respect and consideration than that, Joe.
Joe Morris Posted - 11/04/2011 : 14:14:58
Rozelle?
Dukie Posted - 11/04/2011 : 11:57:32
Does anyone know who is going to be in "the Love band from the Black Beauty recording sessions"?
Joe Morris Posted - 08/04/2011 : 23:21:43
I lost my muse once, fell behind the sofa!

Last great Arthurly song was undoubtedly the Watcher !
John9 Posted - 08/04/2011 : 22:20:17
Yes, we had the thread a while back with a title something like What was Arthur's last really good song? Responses varied....Everybody's Got To Live.....Five String Serenade. But Gene Clark, despite his personal problems, never lost his muse. I think that his work with Carla Olson (recorded not many years before he died) featured some of his very best songs....especially Gypsy Rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmkTmZEgjDA

I don't think, in all honesty, that Gene could ever have quite matched the genius of Forever Changes. But on the other hand, he had the stamina to remain highly prolific for virtually the whole length of his career....and of course, as I've written elsewhere, he really was a poet. Ah, Arthur and Gene....both gone, of course.....but we really were blessed to have them.

She should have known by now
You're just a vagabond

You may never pass this way again
lemonade kid Posted - 08/04/2011 : 17:18:26
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

quote:
Originally posted by John9

The Gene Clark part of this will celebrate the imminent release on CD of Gene's 1977 album Two Sides To Every Story. It is less consistent than No Other but does boast three or four exceptional songs...and it has the bonus of Emmylou Harris on harmony vocals...these are very similar to the magnificent work she did on Dylan's Desire.

It is highly appropriate that these two rock luminaries should be remembered at the same event. When Arthur was over here on Love's first UK tour in 1970, he was asked about The Byrds' influence on his own work. He replied that it was Gene Clark's songs more than any thing else that had inspired him.

KD: The parallels between Gene and Arthur are many. First thing I usually notice about Gene's solo efforts are the fact that though generally of a very high caliber, they are somewhat inconsistent too - with 3-4 stand out tracks. Sound like anyone we know ?

Hey KD...gotta disagree and agree....similarities but the caliber of Gene's solo work (Gosdin Bros, White Light,Dillard & Clark, No Other, Two Sides, Roadmaster, Firebyrd..) is consistently of the highest. There will always be a couple that are not up to my tastes but wow...Gene is the MAN...I have to say even far above Arthur in those solo years.
While Arthur could be all over th emap

kdion11 Posted - 08/04/2011 : 01:46:54
quote:

The Gene Clark part of this will celebrate the imminent release on CD of Gene's 1977 album Two Sides To Every Story. It is less consistent than No Other but does boast three or four exceptional songs...and it has the bonus of Emmylou Harris on harmony vocals...these are very similar to the magnificent work she did on Dylan's Desire.

It is highly appropriate that these two rock luminaries should be remembered at the same event. When Arthur was over here on Love's first UK tour in 1970, he was asked about The Byrds' influence on his own work. He replied that it was Gene Clark's songs more than any thing else that had inspired him.

KD: The parallels between Gene and Arthur are many. First thing I usually notice about Gene's solo efforts are the fact that though generally of a very high caliber, they are somewhat inconsistent too - with 3-4 stand out tracks. Sound like anyone we know ?
John9 Posted - 02/04/2011 : 18:43:07

Yes indeed, LK. And of course, the RSO connection gives him yet another link with Arthur.
lemonade kid Posted - 02/04/2011 : 18:07:03
quote:

Thanks John.

I have the vinyl first press of Two Sides To Every Story. 'Bout time it received a CD release!!

I love it, actually.

Review by Matthew Greenwald

Two Sides was Gene Clark's last solo album for a major label. Signed to RSO Records shortly after his wildly experimental (and occasionally engaging) 1974 Elektra album, No Other, which is often cited as his masterpiece, Clark and producer Thomas Jefferson Kaye released this. Two Sides is a much lower-key affair, and it succeeds on many more levels than the more heralded No Other. Clark's explorations into country music are much more at home on this album, as tracks such as "Mary Lou" and "Kansas City Southern" demonstrate. Oddly, one of the highlights of this record is a non-Clark composition, the traditional "In the Pines," which showcases Clark's brilliant (and underrated) vocal ability. The following year would see Clark team up with ex-Byrd mates Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman on the forgettable McGuinn, Clark & Hillman project. Two Sides shows Clark in full command of his awesome gifts. Essential for Gene Clark enthusiasts.

Get it if you can!!

John9 Posted - 02/04/2011 : 10:40:01

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page