Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Michael & Johnny Q&A at Freed's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 02/12/2010 : 21:44:17
YOUR questions and to talk music and Love.

I was asked to let you all know that Michael is officially up and running there.
I hope you all will give Michael a fine welcome and ask what questions you wish....
but please don't scare him away!

We need more discussions between Love members and Freed's! Here is our chance!

http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47&sid=c2d4083c9f3d871d41c63d4cb4cd6ac4

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 17/12/2010 : 05:04:14
Leonard Nimoy: If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning..
waxburn Posted - 16/12/2010 : 05:00:59
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

anyone ask Johnny whether hes read Michaels book?

shame the questionnaire isn't on this page (a Love page)

Oh, Well (Peter Green)

One assumes Johnny didn't like Snoopy (along with the rest of the band, aside from Arthur!)

No Christmas cards in Snoops mailbox then this year!

If i had the Brooklyn Bridge at my disposal to sell, i would list it over there at the Doors forum.
Joe Morris Posted - 15/12/2010 : 16:08:17
anyone ask Johnny whether hes read Michaels book?

shame the questionnaire isn't on this page (a Love page)

Oh, Well (Peter Green)

One assumes Johnny didn't like Snoopy (along with the rest of the band, aside from Arthur!)

No Christmas cards in Snoops mailbox then this year!
waxburn Posted - 15/12/2010 : 15:28:08
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I don't know what's up with this but who is "Zal Schreiber?" The names's listed under "Mastering" for FC on Wiki.

He mastered FC, or at least we thought he did. Until now.
Personally i find the idea that Paul Rothschild who produced Da Capo but didnt master it, would not produce FC but would master it, very very very iffy.
I may be wrong, and maybe someone can correct me, but i dont recall Rothschild ever mastering anything.

Maybe Zal is still around, and can be queried on the matter.
rocker Posted - 15/12/2010 : 14:38:42
I don't know what's up with this but who is "Zal Schreiber?" The names's listed under "Mastering" for FC on Wiki.
waxburn Posted - 15/12/2010 : 03:59:57
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Not something Botnik would want us to know...but the engineer rarely got credit back then.

Mastering is basically eq ing the material so it sounds together, much like JE said, but mastering does not include sequencing. Bob Ludwig masters but he doesnt sequence, the artist or the record label sequences. Nowadays with the pro tools etc
everyone can master no need for those glass discs anymore, all that is fading away, slowly but surely with the rest of the music business.
I dont see why Botnick would care if someone else mastered, its really a minor credit, few would understand what it means. He received a Producer credit which is what is important.
waxburn Posted - 15/12/2010 : 01:47:30
quote:

Not something Botnik would want us to know...but the engineer rarely got credit back then.

Who mastered DA CAPO? Hassinger engineered and Rothschild produced.
He produced Da Capo but mastered FC?
It seems to me that Rothschild would have received credit on the album had he mastered the album, or he would not have mastered.
Wasnt Rothschild the hottest producer of the time with the Doors albums??? He resorted to mastering FC without credit? the only way i think he would have done would have been as a favor.

Would love to have Botnick commentary on this.
lemonade kid Posted - 15/12/2010 : 01:21:44

waxburn Posted - 15/12/2010 : 01:19:44
quote:

About FOREVER CHANGES final form we all know and love
and how it got there....from Johnny at Freed's...

It seems that Botnik was not a Love favorite...and that Rothchild had more empathy for Love's sound....according to what we have read. But there is no denying that Forever Changes is a high watermark...the highest; with credits going to Botnik!

Was Rothchild involved at all on FC?... it lists Botnik for all the production, with Jac "supervising", & David Angel as arranger---Jac said he placed the tracks in the order they are in...I can't find your previous post on that.
Of the three, it seems that David Angel was most responsible for the "sound" on FC...

Michael & Johnny--Your thoughts please?!

Of course Arthur Lee receives, and deserves the lions share of credit for Forever Changes. Without his poignant, and riveting lyrics, combined with his relentless, and excellent stewardship, there would have been no record. Add [all] of the group members, each of whom.... though fighting their own personal demons. Stepped outside themselves, too experiment, invent, create, and play, music that was absolutely essential to the creation of this record.

Next there is David Angel, who really listened to the tracks, and developed brass, and string parts, that fit seamlessly into the music already played by the group. He also presented ideas, that brought out the best of each song, especially Alone again, and Old man.

And then we have Paul Rothschild, who took a hodgepodge of tapes, recorded under less than ideal circumstances. He mastered them, sequenced them, and turned them into an album of songs that have become timeless.

Finally we have Bruce Botnick and Jac Holtzman. From my perspective Bruce was more of a hindrance, than a "producer". He didn't understand the project from the beginning, and most, if not all of the technical problems, can be traced directly to him. Arthur felt the same way, and expressed his feelings most eloquently in his book. Too bad the lawyers had the last word. As for Jac Holtzman, he owned Elektra records. "Nuff said!"

The fascinating thing here, is [all] of the players, and all of the drama, conspired with serendipity, to create this Magnum Opus. The Masterpiece that is Forever Changes. In this instance the Whole, is by far greater than the sum of the parts. JE.

Postscript: On further consideration, Jac Holtzman may have been involved in the sequencing of Forever Changes. Since it was done in New York, and I wasn't there, it is only fair that I take him at his word! JE.

On GOOD HUMOR MAN ending.....
That was one of the technical problems I mentioned. On that particular mix, there were serious drop-outs on the tape. They could have chosen to go back and remix, or try and "finesse" the one that sounded better as a whole. Bruce decided to manipulate the track. At the time, I didn't like it, I thought it sounded contrived, and affected. But over time, I've come to believe it reflected the philosophy of the times. JE

It is interesting, Johnny, that Rothchild gets no credit for anything on the jacket of FC considering his important contribution....

I'm not sure what was happening with Paul and Jac at that time. I kept a room at the Landmark motel, and so did Rothschild. We often sat around the pool and chatted. We discussed his work on Forever Changes... back in New York. And he would tell me how screwed-up the tapes were, and how much work it took to fix them. I do know that without him, the record wouldn't sound as good as it does.

Back then mastering engineers, were not nearly the "superstars" they are today. They were paid for the gig, just as studio musicians were. Most recordings made nowadays, are done in project studios, or at home. So the mastering engineer is indispensable, in making it sound like a record.

For those who don't know what a "mastering engineer" does I'll give you a brief description. They are the ones who sequence the songs (determining their order) and remove any noise, leftover from the mixdown. They do the fade ins, and fade outs, add equalization, compression, and sometimes a bit of reverb. These invaluable artists, are the ones who make recordings that are produced at different studios, sound as if they were done in the same space. They are usually the last chance one has to "fix it" before it goes out to be made into records. JE.

Thanks Johnny and Ed for this one!

[/quote]

Paul Rothschild mastered Forever Changes!!!!??
waxburn Posted - 15/12/2010 : 01:17:34
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

WB, for those of us who are slow, please elaborate; 'sounds interesting.

It's all the same day.

Think OJ. Why not beer?
rocker Posted - 14/12/2010 : 21:23:45
The fascinating thing here, is [all] of the players, and all of the drama, conspired with serendipity, to create this Magnum Opus. The Masterpiece that is Forever Changes. In this instance the Whole, is by far greater than the sum of the parts. JE.

Right on target and well said. And that's how I saw it. A great musical enterprise that's few and far far between. Thanks very much JE. I don't know if the band thought they were making a "masterpiece" but it's funny how things turn out that way. You guys were ridin' the clouds and you didn't even know it.
lemonade kid Posted - 14/12/2010 : 18:41:05
About FOREVER CHANGES final form we all know and love
and how it got there....from Johnny at Freed's...

It seems that Botnik was not a Love favorite...and that Rothchild had more empathy for Love's sound....according to what we have read. But there is no denying that Forever Changes is a high watermark...the highest; with credits going to Botnik!

Was Rothchild involved at all on FC?... it lists Botnik for all the production, with Jac "supervising", & David Angel as arranger---Jac said he placed the tracks in the order they are in...I can't find your previous post on that.
Of the three, it seems that David Angel was most responsible for the "sound" on FC...

Michael & Johnny--Your thoughts please?![/quote]

Of course Arthur Lee receives, and deserves the lions share of credit for Forever Changes. Without his poignant, and riveting lyrics, combined with his relentless, and excellent stewardship, there would have been no record. Add [all] of the group members, each of whom.... though fighting their own personal demons. Stepped outside themselves, too experiment, invent, create, and play, music that was absolutely essential to the creation of this record.

Next there is David Angel, who really listened to the tracks, and developed brass, and string parts, that fit seamlessly into the music already played by the group. He also presented ideas, that brought out the best of each song, especially Alone again, and Old man.

And then we have Paul Rothschild, who took a hodgepodge of tapes, recorded under less than ideal circumstances. He mastered them, sequenced them, and turned them into an album of songs that have become timeless.

Finally we have Bruce Botnick and Jac Holtzman. From my perspective Bruce was more of a hindrance, than a "producer". He didn't understand the project from the beginning, and most, if not all of the technical problems, can be traced directly to him. Arthur felt the same way, and expressed his feelings most eloquently in his book. Too bad the lawyers had the last word. As for Jac Holtzman, he owned Elektra records. "Nuff said!"

Postscript: On further consideration, Jac Holtzman may have been involved in the sequencing of Forever Changes. Since it was done in New York, and I wasn't there, it is only fair that I take him at his word! JE.

On GOOD HUMOR MAN ending.....
That was one of the technical problems I mentioned. On that particular mix, there were serious drop-outs on the tape. They could have chosen to go back and remix, or try and "finesse" the one that sounded better as a whole. Bruce decided to manipulate the track. At the time, I didn't like it, I thought it sounded contrived, and affected. But over time, I've come to believe it reflected the philosophy of the times. JE

It is interesting, Johnny, that Rothchild gets no credit for anything on the jacket of FC considering his important contribution....

I'm not sure what was happening with Paul and Jac at that time. I kept a room at the Landmark motel, and so did Rothschild. We often sat around the pool and chatted. We discussed his work on Forever Changes... back in New York. And he would tell me how screwed-up the tapes were, and how much work it took to fix them. I do know that without him, the record wouldn't sound as good as it does.

Back then mastering engineers, were not nearly the "superstars" they are today. They were paid for the gig, just as studio musicians were. Most recordings made nowadays, are done in project studios, or at home. So the mastering engineer is indispensable, in making it sound like a record.

For those who don't know what a "mastering engineer" does I'll give you a brief description. They are the ones who sequence the songs (determining their order) and remove any noise, leftover from the mixdown. They do the fade ins, and fade outs, add equalization, compression, and sometimes a bit of reverb. These invaluable artists, are the ones who make recordings that are produced at different studios, sound as if they were done in the same space. They are usually the last chance one has to "fix it" before it goes out to be made into records. JE.

Thanks Johnny and Ed for this one!

LeeRob Posted - 14/12/2010 : 17:11:02
AHA!

No.

It's all the same day.
waxburn Posted - 14/12/2010 : 02:10:47
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

It's all the same day.

heres some crucial facts omitted:

(clues erased)

ok now, did anyone figure it out.
(follow the orange juice)
LeeRob Posted - 13/12/2010 : 22:30:08

It's all the same day.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page