Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Jac Holzman: Weird Scenes From........

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 12/11/2010 : 17:13:01

From the Independent last Saturday. Jac Holman strolls around Bleecker St revisiting some of his old haunts. If you read right down to the bottom, you'll see Forever Changes listed as one of the five truly essential Elektra albums....and there's a really interetsting video:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/jac-holzman-weird-scenes-from-inside-the-goldmine-2125293.html
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
waxburn Posted - 16/11/2010 : 14:51:05
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

I'd love to hear more, wax. Any short bits you can share....would be great.

Fred is one of my all time favorites and the stories have always painted Fred as a talented, drug addled miscreant that fled the music scene to escape the drugs and the stress, as if he didn't enjoy his own music anymore at all.

Apologies to Fred for believing the hype that is untrue...even from a bit I read in Mojo some years back that supported those stories.

that MOJO article was a trip, most of it nonsensense. Fred would sign postcards, address them to the people he didnt want to see, give them to friends travling and have them mail them from faraway places.
That Mojo article made me laugh, with Fred being in Cuba, or France or wherever.
The dolphins project was started by Ric Obarry(OFeldman)who now is on TV all the time, and in the documentary The Cove, originally to study them later it morphed into saving them.
Fred hated anyone who wanted to try to get him to do anything. Drugs, he didnt hate so much.
lemonade kid Posted - 16/11/2010 : 02:38:35
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

no we're not gonna play Stonehenge!

Joe Morris Posted - 16/11/2010 : 01:33:42
no we're not gonna play Stonehenge!
lemonade kid Posted - 16/11/2010 : 01:29:54
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

Fred Neil wrote some great songs. Richie Havens' version of "That's the Bag I'm In" was incredible!
"Mixed Bag" was one of the greatest LPs ever made. Did RH ever record anything as good as Mixed Bag?

Maybe not but I am very partial to "Stonehenge".

sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 16/11/2010 : 00:17:05
Fred Neil wrote some great songs. Richie Havens' version of "That's the Bag I'm In" was incredible!
"Mixed Bag" was one of the greatest LPs ever made. Did RH ever record anything as good as Mixed Bag?
rocker Posted - 15/11/2010 : 14:16:58
Jac Holzman....Just seem to appreciate him all the more after all the years. A little "understanding" goes along way in producing great stuff from musicians. I don't know. Are the people in music thinking his way now in nurturing artists???
Joe Morris Posted - 14/11/2010 : 22:29:07
how long was Fred in Love for?
lemonade kid Posted - 14/11/2010 : 17:44:12
I'd love to hear more, wax. Any short bits you can share....would be great.

Fred is one of my all time favorites and the stories have always painted Fred as a talented, drug addled miscreant that fled the music scene to escape the drugs and the stress, as if he didn't enjoy his own music anymore at all.

Apologies to Fred for believing the hype that is untrue...even from a bit I read in Mojo some years back that supported those stories.

waxburn Posted - 13/11/2010 : 21:43:51
quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by John9

...to say nothing of Country Boy and Bleecker from the first HP Lovecraft album....what was it about that place?

Freddie and Jac Holzman and Paul Rothschild couldnt stand each other. Freddie spent many years working the Brill Building scene and knew
all about the publishing.
Freddie Neil RIP was one of the greats and a true beatnick.

You are right, Wx. Fred was at the top of the Village scene and everyone, including Bobby Dylan wanted to be like Fred. Fred even let Bob carry his guitar ...and sit in at harp a few times. But Fred hated the music world more than anyone...especially the easy acces to drugs and what they did to him. His heart was always with the "Dolphins" and after just a few albums, wnet back to his Florida and spent the rest of his life saving dolphins.

Fred is THE VOICE.....what a beautiful singer he was.

Thats the basic story on Fred, but the truth is far from that.
Freddie was a true free spirit, a beatnik.
Theres one thing about Fred, he never was where he was supposed to be, if you hear Fred was in Florida, thats the one place he was not at.
lemonade kid Posted - 13/11/2010 : 17:15:21
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by John9

...to say nothing of Country Boy and Bleecker from the first HP Lovecraft album....what was it about that place?

Freddie and Jac Holzman and Paul Rothschild couldnt stand each other. Freddie spent many years working the Brill Building scene and knew

You are right, Wx. Fred was at the top of the Village scene and everyone, including Bobby Dylan wanted to be like Fred. Fred even let Bob carry his guitar ...and sit in at harp a few times. But Fred hated the music world more than anyone...especially the easy acces to drugs and what they did to him. His heart was always with the "Dolphins" and after just a few albums, wnet back to his Florida and spent the rest of his life saving dolphins.

Fred is THE VOICE.....what a beautiful singer he was.
waxburn Posted - 13/11/2010 : 03:32:26
quote:
Originally posted by John9

John9 Posted - 13/11/2010 : 01:21:01
I don't think that I've ever been bored by any of Arthur's songs - certainly not those from his formative 1965-70 period.
Joe Morris Posted - 13/11/2010 : 01:17:04
"Dream" has always struck me as a bit of a bore on Four Sail, not too much in the way of actual melody, although not as bad as "Talking in my sleep"!

Arthur seems to have been afraid of being away from LA during the period - Jac Holzman mentioned bringing him out to New York and he wouldn't even stay the night!
John9 Posted - 13/11/2010 : 01:11:22
Going back to Arthur Lee and New York, there is an excellent song of his that is rarely mentioned....Dream. It was presumably written sometime in 1968 and contains the line:

"I just stepped in from New York"

I especially love the bridge where Jay Donnellan's breathtaking guitar solo is underpinned by a resonant and expressive bass line from Frank Fayad....one of Love's best moments in my book...and it has always impressed those people to whom I've played it.

"Don't you think I ought to come on home?"
John9 Posted - 12/11/2010 : 23:14:51

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page