Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Late Discussion on RHINOs FC Collector's Edition

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LeeRob Posted - 30/09/2010 : 19:51:05
Many things have happened to me in the past few years, and believe it or not I've just now given a listen to RHINO's Forever Changes Collector's Edition, "Original Album," disk.
Have they re-mastered it? The mix sounds different to me; all the little things which made the various cuts so fine, seem to be pused up front of the mix. Like the guitar on Alone Again Or, and the drums on the same cut; they sound enhanced. In A House Is Not A Motel, the same critique applies.
It could just be that I've listened to the old vynal more; I rather never adjusted to the coldness of cd's.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Sorry if you've already had this discussion; If so pass me the thread please.

It's all the same day.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The sweet disorder Posted - 12/10/2010 : 23:25:11
If you have some mastering software like T-racks you could even make an "alternate mix yourself". A few adjustments to EQ and compression and away you go
Joe Morris Posted - 11/10/2010 : 20:22:46
I doubt if he saw any money from his songs, sadly; nice to hear his mom is getting some money from them (at last!)
It'd be nice to do a tribute album to the man, hopefully without any Smack Dab on it!

His songwriting credit for Old Man would appear to be missing on the Forever Changes concert and attributed to Arthur Lee (Grass Roots music), curiously (Arthur never changed his publishing since he was in the Grass Roots, apparently!)

I never listened to vinyl. I've always been a cd boy (thankfully Forever Changes has been issued to cd 4-5 times at LEAST

This isn't including Japanese masters, copies of it given away with British newspapers, and so forth..
rocker Posted - 11/10/2010 : 20:04:16
and after looking at my copy of the FC vinyl .I see a "Breadcrust" ? (billing with Maclean on Alone Again Or and Old Man-is that Arthur???)
Joe Morris Posted - 11/10/2010 : 06:13:36
its been suggested that Michael Stuarts name was left off the back cover of FC on vinyl after he sued Arthur in court (and won)

don't know how much creedence (clearwater revival)
I give to that theory though
lemonade kid Posted - 11/10/2010 : 05:48:41
Vinyl is always my preference as I compare all the CD versions of FC...

kdion11 Posted - 08/10/2010 : 18:09:39
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

hey kd..let me take the time to shake yer hand for being a fine musician......I guess you're the quiet kind with no book in ya, eh????????.....

KD: Thanks Rocker. Actually I have been working on a book.
Some has to do with music, some not. It definetly will have
a chapter on Noel, and one on Arthur.

go to: www.corsicaband.com to see more on the music, or
search Facebook with my name to see the latest video I've produced
with some pretty talented and well known people.
LeeRob Posted - 08/10/2010 : 01:22:51
Thanks kd, that makes perfect sense.

It's all the same day.
rocker Posted - 08/10/2010 : 01:15:57
hey kd..let me take the time to shake yer hand for being a fine musician......I guess you're the quiet kind with no book in ya, eh????????.....
kdion11 Posted - 08/10/2010 : 00:52:12
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

In my case I am confusing terminology because I am confused. I assume an actual "re-mix," cannot be made except through the board with the original creation. Is that correct? The "loudness," spoken of comes from what; a tinkering with a second century copy?
And, the master recording. . .can't a technician boost or otherwise change the sound as the master is re-pressed? I have assumed more than I know about these processes.

It's all the same day.

KD: Hey LeeRob. You would need the full multi tracks to do
an actual "remix". A remaster could be completed by simply
re EQ uing the two track analog master. This would not technically
be a "remix"
Joe Morris Posted - 07/10/2010 : 17:23:26
put Bruce Botnick on the case, he'll get to the bottom of it!
waxburn Posted - 07/10/2010 : 15:55:10
quote:
Originally posted by tedhead

John9: That is the way I first heard Forever Changes. I had it, but one of the discs is damaged.

Waxburn: I know it is not a remix, and I never said it was. That is why I said the mix couldn't be tampered with, please re-read what I said (you did quote me after all). I know it is an alternate mix because that is what the 2 disc set says it is. What I was questioning is how folks here can say certain instruments are pushed up in the original mix because of the mastering job.

I think the best way to look at it is that there are 2 "original mixes", one used and one not.
Joe Morris Posted - 06/10/2010 : 23:34:31
the Love Story I always saw as a botched job. Why have Forever Changes across 2 discs? why not have the focus on the 1st couple Elektra albums (which were rather hard to find at the time, let alone in MONO!) on disc 1 and then have Forever Changes on disc 2?

And Four Sail wasn't reissued to cd for a LONG time... I think the Red Sox had won the World Series by that point

It DOES have a nice book though!
rocker Posted - 06/10/2010 : 17:06:26
Maybe some of you are familiar with what the Stones did with their catalogue back in 2002? I think they "re-mastered" some of their early stuff and if I'm correct called it a "hybrid" disc. I have some of them and one in particular stands out..High Tide and Green Grass. When I first heard it I jumped out of my chair beacuse the sound was incredible. I really noticed a BIG difference between the early recording and the new one. Now I'd think that that was because the engineers must've had the original tapes to work with. "London" records sure wasn't so dopey as Elektra to dump or not take care early Stones stuff.... So from that if we want a really good mix, re-master whatever of FC we need the masters. Usually when I play FC I play the cd not my old record which revere. It's gone through the handling and listening wars but i will not part with it. It's a million buckaroos to me!...
LeeRob Posted - 06/10/2010 : 15:56:18
In my case I am confusing terminology because I am confused. I assume an actual "re-mix," cannot be made except through the board with the original creation. Is that correct? The "loudness," spoken of comes from what; a tinkering with a second century copy?
And, the master recording. . .can't a technician boost or otherwise change the sound as the master is re-pressed? I have assumed more than I know about these processes.

It's all the same day.
tedhead Posted - 06/10/2010 : 15:31:50
John9: That is the way I first heard Forever Changes. I had it, but one of the discs is damaged.

Waxburn: I know it is not a remix, and I never said it was. That is why I said the mix couldn't be tampered with, please re-read what I said (you did quote me after all). I know it is an alternate mix because that is what the 2 disc set says it is. What I was questioning is how folks here can say certain instruments are pushed up in the original mix because of the mastering job.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page