Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Love Covering play with fire!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BobbyFischer Posted - 22/08/2010 : 04:33:51
unfortunally never caught on tape..I have to admit I have never been a Stones fan,but that song is definitely on my top 5 of greatest 60s tunes,hell even top 3! remember reading in the Castle long time ago an interview with either Kenny Bryan or Snoopy(yeah I have a great memory.. :-))but im sure it wasnt with Arthur at least!Anyways one of them tells about Love/Grassroots regulary doing an amazing cover of that brilliant song around 65 that was a crowd favourite even within cover material like Kinks and Zombies! I recently heard a nice Beau Brummels cover of it from 66 thats a little more slower and psychedelic than the original,were they influenced by the legendary unheard Love cover?My guess is yes especially considered the instrumental part and the ending of the song,but who knows
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 25/08/2010 : 08:50:58
Mark - thanks for the reminder about the UK version of Out of Our Heads. It brings to mind the rather random approach that some record companies have brought to releases on either side of the Atlantic. With Love of course, all albums were identical...although I think there were some slight differences with singles. During the Elektra era, Love's records were very faithfully reproduced and distributed over here by Polydor - and when Love moved to Blue Thumb, EMI's new progressive label, Harvest, picked up the deal in Britain and did an equally good job. But Decca or London..... or whoever they are have always made a complete pig's ear of the Stones' releases. Even now to get everything, you have to buy the Singles triple CD and the More Hot Rocks double as well as a mixture of the UK and US albums. And of course whilst Out of Our Heads, Aftermath and Between the Buttons are available in both UK and US versions, the first two UK albums are not....one tantalising omission from Rolling Stones 2 is I Can't Be Satisfied - a magnificent slide guitar piece. The record company should for the sake of true fans either:

(a) As has happened with Love, release the original albums with non album singles (and EPs) appearing as bonus tracks

or

(b) As happened with The Beatles, release the original albums with a couple of extra CDs to take care of all the non album material. But then I suppose that to the record company, this has one serious disadvantage...........IT'S TOO DARNED SIMPLE!
Joe Morris Posted - 25/08/2010 : 04:56:20
What a shame

hey those lyrics sound familiar!
markk Posted - 25/08/2010 : 01:06:36
I'd like to stay with the Stones here for a moment. I recently bought the UK Version of Out of Our Heads, released 1965 Decca records. I know it's different from the US version, they added She Said Yeah. I was very impressed with their version of Sam Cooke's
Let the Good Times Roll, for young Mick's voice is sweeter and more melodious. Now for the best part, 12 Bonus Tracks .

Get Off My Cloud
Satisfaction (Mono Single Mix)
The Spider and the Fly- This is simply a song of careless and
reckless seduction, while The beatles were singing great love
songs.
The Last Time
I've Been Loving You Too Long- I must say they do Otis justice as
Mick is able to hit the high notes with great softness.
Blue Turns to Grey- I really like this song.
The Singer not the Song- an interesting proposition.
One More Try
19th Nervous Breakdown
As Tears Go By
And lastly the backing track to Satisfaction

It reenforced how much I used to and still enjoy them.
Joe Morris Posted - 24/08/2010 : 04:26:56
definite Stones influence there on the early Love

I understand they would play Stones covers, along with other bands, to fill out their set. At least until they started writing their own stuff
John9 Posted - 22/08/2010 : 21:00:28
Yes LK - it was something of a mixed blessing really. The UK LPs tended to be fewer in number but would almost invariably contain more tracks. By the 1970s we had the mildly absurd situation in which the albums were still in print....but the singles weren't. Of course we had the two official compilations of Stones' hits....but they tended not to include 'b' sides...and so Play With Fire remained elusive. The irony is that in the CD age only the American edition of Big Hits, High Tide etc is available. That one does have Play With Fire....but there is no Little Red Rooster (a massive hit over here). Switching to Love for a moment, I can remember searching high and low in second hand shops during 1971-72 for Laughing Stock......and was mightily relieved when it was included on Love Masters in about 1973.
lemonade kid Posted - 22/08/2010 : 17:17:53
quote:
Originally posted by John9

You're right Bobby....Play With Fire is absolutely one of the Stones' very best. To the frustration of the collector, it was never on a UK album and so during the early 80s, I had to wait until I could afford an import copy of the American Out Of Our Heads before I could own it. I vividly recollect them performing the song on the cutting edge TV programme, Ready, Steady, Go! in 1965. The Byrds did the occasional Stones cover (especially Not Fade Away)during that year.....and so why not Love?

"Your mother is an heiress, owns a block in St John's Wood"

For some reason, that line always reminds me of Marianne Faithful.

The UK penchant for not allowing hit singles on LPs must have been frustrating. Many times it was the hit single included on our USA album releases that prompted me to buy them in the first place.

I have a beautiful mono "Out Of Our Heads"...such a beautiful rich red London label...watch it spin round and round.

John9 Posted - 22/08/2010 : 10:34:43
You're right Bobby....Play With Fire is absolutely one of the Stones' very best. To the frustration of the collector, it was never on a UK album and so during the early 80s, I had to wait until I could afford an import copy of the American Out Of Our Heads before I could own it. I vividly recollect them performing the song on the cutting edge TV programme, Ready, Steady, Go! in 1965. The Byrds did the occasional Stones cover (especially Not Fade Away)during that year.....and so why not Love?

"Your mother is an heiress, owns a block in St John's Wood"

For some reason, that line always reminds me of Marianne Faithful.
BobbyFischer Posted - 22/08/2010 : 06:22:48
wow just listened to the whole album.their cover of what i untill now considered a lame 60s hit by Cher Bang bang is just freakin awesome!! I also like their version of These boots and of course the mentioned play with fire
BobbyFischer Posted - 22/08/2010 : 04:52:46
btw the Beau Brummel cover is on spotify.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page