Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 More Arthur and Jimi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ThomasGalasso Posted - 12/03/2010 : 19:56:35

I am such a Johnny-Come-Lately. I just realized that Jimi's Stone Free is owed something by Arthur's Product of the Times. When Jimi says "Got ta, Got ta, Got ta get away" it reminds me of when Arthur says "You are just product of the times! You are just a product!".

I think we already knew that Arthur's White Dog (from Vindicator) owed a little something to Foxey Lady.

Its just that since I am probably the only person on this board who had until a few weeks ago never listened to the entire Hendrix catalogue. So for me some things are a bit of a revelation. I have purposely stayed away from Jimi for years.

Somethimes it kind of be that way when you are a black dude that loves rock music LOL. Some of you know what I mean.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 19/03/2010 : 13:07:48
gmm.."The sixties were a strange time, while there were a few island's of harmony, like Hollywood and San francisco, most other places in California experienced racial distrust
or at the very least separation. And this was supposed to be the place of "enlightenment."

And it looked like the lid popped with Watts back then. And come to think of it I wonder how change has gone on there after all these years.

lemonade kid Posted - 19/03/2010 : 03:50:37
Rising Sons were an amazing band with Taj, Ry Cooder 'n all.

Joe Morris Posted - 18/03/2010 : 23:30:16
Ben Franks still around?
gatemouthmoore Posted - 18/03/2010 : 22:49:40
Thomas, I heard the Rising Sons with Taj Mahal, in early 65, and they were indeed a rock group, as much as the Stones (The World's Greatest Rock Band)!

Arthur and Johnny insisted on their group's being intergrated, from the very beginning, and used that as a selling point, It was important, they not be labeled as a "Soul Group" because of their race! This was long before Jac Holtzman became involved!

Arthur's own words were "We were the first intergrated group!"

The sixties were a strange time, while there were a few island's of harmony, like Hollywood and San francisco, most other places in California experienced racial distrust
or at the very least separation. And this was supposed to be the place of "enlightenment."

GMM

Joe Morris Posted - 18/03/2010 : 22:45:56
Neil Skok had the tapes last

wish I still traded, I'd get to the bottom of it!

ThomasGalasso Posted - 18/03/2010 : 18:06:51

I know right?

There has to be some live recordings out there. I am sure someone controls the keys to the whole Whisky A-Go-Go thing. Someone has to have those shows taped. Also, what about the Filmore? Anyone recall that announcement some years back, maybe 2007 or so when it was revealed that all of the shows would be available for VIEWING including bands such as Love?

Insane man. You know they have to be out there.
Joe Morris Posted - 18/03/2010 : 16:21:11
I found it interesting that the band were not able to get gigs sometimes cos they were integrated

maybe it wasn't all down to Arthur being lazy, and not wanting to tour outside LA!

shame no live recordings of their band at the prime (while on Elektra: Love, da capo, Forever Changes) have surfaced..

ThomasGalasso Posted - 18/03/2010 : 16:10:53

Also, it was not just Arthur that made a big deal about Love being integrated during that time. Jac Holtzman goes there, so do several members of other prominent rock groups of that time. The Electric Flag came after Love.

Taj Mahal was not a psychedelic rock group, and if I'm not mistaken Taj Mahal is generally associated with blues, r&b, and even African and zydeco amongst other things but never rock music as we know it, plus his first album was in like 1968.

Arthur may not have created the earth in seven days....he did it in 8. No seriously , the man did do much of what they say he did. Its just that sometimes it would seem like Arthur would just claim he did EVERYTHING before everyone else. The integrated band bit is somewhat true it seems and that's a cool thing.
rocker Posted - 18/03/2010 : 13:02:37
gatemouth...

And we can go back back to the 40's, 30's, 20's. If we get some old movie clips with those big bands it's just one big "checkerboard" when you look at who's playing the tunes......
ThomasGalasso Posted - 18/03/2010 : 07:44:14

I think what makes it significant is that Love was an integrated rock band that was in a position to tour and be famous. Booker T. & the M.G.'s would be looked at as a soul outfit and The Paul Butterfield Blues Band went down as just that...a blues band.

There weren't any major integrated rock groups in 1966 or 1967 before Love seems to be the consensus. Even Hendrix came after Love, as did Sly, and not to mention Sly generally is thrown in with R&B singers and soul artists etc.

Ah musical categories gotta love it.
gatemouthmoore Posted - 18/03/2010 : 07:38:38
There were many intergrated groups before Love, several bands from the fifties, and in the sixties there was Booker T and the MG's,the Rising Sons, with (Taj Mahal), the Electric flag (Buddy Miles), Billy Preston and the Soul Brothers, the MarKeys, and a few other's that I can't recall right now.

According to Arthur, he created the world in seven days! One really had to have an extra large grain of salt when it came to Mr. Lee and facts!!

GMM
ThomasGalasso Posted - 18/03/2010 : 05:46:36

I met Willie a few times. He autographed a bass for a friend of mine at Canter's over on Fairfax.
lemonade kid Posted - 17/03/2010 : 23:03:48
ANd then another favorite band--The Chambers Brothers--all black dudes and ONE white guy!
The time has come today!!

ThomasGalasso Posted - 17/03/2010 : 01:01:38

Another thing that makes Love stand out, and especially during that era is that Arthur was the musical focal point of the band. How many bands in those days had a black lead singer?

Most of those other groups, the black members were sidemen playing bass, or guitar or drums but not the centerpiece like Mr. Lee. Love would have been sold on the merits of Arthur much like The Doors used Jim Morrison as their poster boy.
rocker Posted - 16/03/2010 : 19:44:00
And here's the thing. When it came to Hendrix well I don't know about anybody else but I really never heard the word "integrated" associated with him and his bands. I don't know maybe it was because I was here in the East or whatever. I tell you when people looked at 'Love' they apparently had a different frame of ref so to speak.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page