Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Hard times at Dorsey High

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 06/12/2009 : 04:58:40
Here is an LA Times story about life and times at Dorsey High today...makes me wonder if Arthur would have make it out of that nightmare today. Thanks. RW. Link is coming soon......

Dorsey High's football program is about than athletics -- latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dorsey-football4-2009dec04,0,6412345.story
lemonade kid Posted - 07/12/2009 : 20:07:44
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

Did anyone here about that Dutch book that supposedly had never before seen photos of Love from tne 60's? It was advertised in MOJO like a year or so ago.

Do you have it, Ed!!--our favorite Dutchie!

ThomasGalasso Posted - 07/12/2009 : 18:13:32

Did anyone here about that Dutch book that supposedly had never before seen photos of Love from tne 60's? It was advertised in MOJO like a year or so ago.
lemonade kid Posted - 07/12/2009 : 16:36:55
The LoVE mystique just grows larger.....

ThomasGalasso Posted - 07/12/2009 : 06:32:28

Its all way too puzzling for me. Its like someone just erased all of the live tapes, photos, promotional items etc. from Love circa 1965-1969.

It is one of the things that really drew me to the Love saga in the first place aside from the obvious musical brilliance.
Joe Morris Posted - 07/12/2009 : 04:52:28
it seems it was Echols who picked up on the guitar before Arthur. Surprised to read that in the recent Botnick interview that Arthur was playing the acoustic guitar at the studio while recording FChanges. I'd always assumed he composed on the organ

Live I'm guessing he would've just played harp and the tambourine; aside from vocals of course (aside from the odd Bryan performance of "Hey Joe" I guess!

an absolute tragedy no live Love from their heyday has turned up. Cool to have the odd track by the Grass Roots (You I'll be following) and
the LAGs (Stay Away) surface on vinyl (I transferred those tracks to cd so I can play repeat all day long - also, I binned my turntable!)

but has no reel to reel of the live band turned up anywhere at all? I find everything on eBay, thats where I bought the Daydream Believers video (with Bryan being interviewed) and Arthur playing at a Hendrix tribute in Amsterdam (video again)

and of course the Hendrix/Lee acetate on Blue Thumb surfaced recently

But I've NEVER come across any live Love at the Whisky, and I'm really surprised by this. The Doors seem to have a massive amount of live stuff out on Bright Midnight, Rhino Handmade?

and yet you will find no Love. I cannot believe more live Love vintage (66-8) hasn't surfaced, on eBay, or on iOffer. Or anywhere

any live Love on iTunes? hopefully the wretched live Liverpool material from the early 90s is NOT up there

I have 200 live shows by the band, and I cannot believe theres nothing recorded at the Whisky or the Fillmore by the original band

You would think they were like the Kinks and had been banned from the States for the period!
ThomasGalasso Posted - 06/12/2009 : 19:44:52
Yeah its always hard to speculate. I used to go by Dorsey quite a bit when I first moved to LA. My girlfriend and I would go to the Target not too far from there. They have rebuilt some of that area as well, but I am sure there is also a lot of trouble happening.
lemonade kid Posted - 06/12/2009 : 16:52:33
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

Well that is always a hard thing to try and figure out. He would have more than likely been a part of the Crenshaw Afro Punk scene if he were a young man now. Love may have been based out of Echo Park or Silverlake and who the hell knows.

Arthur was a survivor so I am sure that spirit would have remained during any era.

Right, Thomas....Arthur was never one to go along with the crowd, or the "gang". I'm guessing there was some gang pressure around even in his day....a la West Side Story kind of gangs.

But as Arthur related...there weren't even cops at the High School then, just the common monitors every school had. Innocent times even in the not so "nice" areas...compared to now...no drug pushers at the gates...

ThomasGalasso Posted - 06/12/2009 : 08:54:52

Well that is always a hard thing to try and figure out. He would have more than likely been a part of the Crenshaw Afro Punk scene if he were a young man now. Love may have been based out of Echo Park or Silverlake and who the hell knows.

Arthur was a survivor so I am sure that spirit would have remained during any era.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page