Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Love Lost review

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 26/11/2009 : 21:59:26
My copy of the CD arrived just as I was setting off for the cinema this afternoon and so I had the unexpected pleasure of listening to this much anticipated release on both legs of the journey. Arthur's solo acoustic tracks definitely have an eeriness to them.... a welcome change following the heavily amplified all electric sound on False Start. By the same token, the songs featuring the ensemble playing of Lee, Tarwater, Fayad and Poncher seem to have much more edge and subtlety to them than the versions that were re-recorded for Vindicator a year later. It is interesting to note that the version of Everybody's Gotta Live included here had not yet been fully developed....Arthur had yet to pen the lines that begin: "It's seems like I have seen just about a million sunsets, she said if you're with me I'll never go away". Of the previously unheard songs, the most melodic is probably For a Day, which is vaguely reminiscent of John Sebastian's Daydream. There is also a hidden track tucked away at the very end of the CD....but I'll leave everyone to discover that one for themselves!

You obviously wouldn't want to start with Love Lost if you were seeking to turn someone on to Love's music for the first time. As David Angel observed towards the end of Love Story, some people are destined to do a particular thing at a particular time.....and I think that in all honesty by 1971, Arthur's star had already burned brilliantly....and had faded. But pitched midway between False Start and Vindicator, this album is, to my ears better than either. And the sound of Frank Fayad's ever faithful bass - every bit as resonant as it is on Four Sail - is strangely moving.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
caryne Posted - 25/12/2009 : 11:40:15
quote:
Originally posted by bkel

received the love lost lp/45 about 5 weeks ago and have been playing it since. why these sessions were not issued at the time is beyond belief. knowing what was going on with columbia at the time, i still can't see why not. it would have been a great lp. shame on sundazed for not recreating what could have been. the solo demos should have been devoted to one side or section of said lp/cd. i have not been able to purchase cd, there is a supposedly a bonus track? can anyone tell me what this song is if so. also, why no pictures of frank, don and craig? this was by no means a solo project, but for some of us, another love lp. happy holidays and terrific new year to everyone!

Who did you order your LP from? Mine from Amazon was only sent out three days ago (so I havn't got it yet as it'll take a while to get from the USA to UK over Xmas).
I'm not sure you can blame Sundazed for not putting out the album that would have been over nearly 40 years ago, it's hardly their fault!
Joe Morris Posted - 25/12/2009 : 04:58:10
I understand the bonus track is an instrumental jam after the last track, tho I've only listened to Love Lost a couple times all the way thru

"Everybodys gotta live" is the worst song on the album, undoubtedly

The single is great - great great track on the B side - I LOVE it when Arthurs cracking up at the end of "Sad song"
bkel Posted - 25/12/2009 : 01:41:02
received the love lost lp/45 about 5 weeks ago and have been playing it since. why these sessions were not issued at the time is beyond belief. knowing what was going on with columbia at the time, i still can't see why not. it would have been a great lp. shame on sundazed for not recreating what could have been. the solo demos should have been devoted to one side or section of said lp/cd. i have not been able to purchase cd, there is a supposedly a bonus track? can anyone tell me what this song is if so. also, why no pictures of frank, don and craig? this was by no means a solo project, but for some of us, another love lp. happy holidays and terrific new year to everyone!
John9 Posted - 17/12/2009 : 10:56:39

Yes - Amazon are usually the ones to go with....their service is first class and as you say, they sometimes get new titles out beforehand. I think that with labels like Sundazed, new product finds its way to the market through different channels. Smaller retailers like Spin are sometimes behind......and some times ahead of the game. The newly released Greenpeace 1970 Amchitka album (with Joni Mitchell, James Taylor and Phil Ochs) was not listed on Amazon....not even on Amazon Canada.....but Spin had it.
caryne Posted - 17/12/2009 : 10:43:52
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Yes indeed - I've noticed that with a number of releases, Amazon are not always the first off the mark.

I've never had that problem, often stuff I've ordered from Amazon has arrived before the release date. Even so, it's the cheapest place to get it so I'm prepared to wait
John9 Posted - 17/12/2009 : 10:40:10
Yes indeed - I've noticed that with a number of releases, Amazon are not always the first off the mark.
caryne Posted - 17/12/2009 : 09:34:24
quote:

The vinyl edition is now in stock at Spin:

http://www.spincds.com/product.asp?id=9021598

That's interesting as I've just had an email from amazon.com to say the vinyl will be sent out in the first week of January.
ThomasGalasso Posted - 17/12/2009 : 03:33:26

I guess I am a bit numb to Everybody's Gotta Live because it became somewhat of a staple of the post Elektra Arthur Lee. There are many people I know who are casual Love fans who know that song pretty well. My kid dug it a lot some years back, but he dug the Vindicator version.
Joe Morris Posted - 17/12/2009 : 03:23:18
I wish I had the time to listen to it more (I've listened to it twice)

Yes the version of "Everybodys gotta live" is macabre - the worst song on the album!
bob f. Posted - 17/12/2009 : 03:11:33
Buckle your seatbelts. It's gonna be a bumpy rock &roll!

...what the world needs now...
ruxprncd Posted - 17/12/2009 : 01:03:26
kinda off topic...but i see the reviewer also listed a Betty Davis album finally released after having been recorded in 1976. for those into funky music, she's an all-time great (and oft overlooked, like Love).
kdion11 Posted - 17/12/2009 : 00:27:05
quote:

An extremely fair and well balanced review.....thanks, Kdion.

KD: No problemo
ThomasGalasso Posted - 16/12/2009 : 23:36:35

I love it. "If anyone has the right to sound like Jimi Hendrix". I agree 100%, come on man, I wish that this record would have been finished in 1971, I bet money it would be well viewed to this day.

I think its great for Arthur's legacy to have this be named one of the great records of 2009, and honestly with much of the drivel that is coming out these days Love Lost is refreshing.
John9 Posted - 16/12/2009 : 20:45:24

An extremely fair and well balanced review.....thanks, Kdion.
kdion11 Posted - 16/12/2009 : 20:06:05
KD: Here's a cool one - LOVE Lost has made the
Huffington Post's Top 10 Albums of 2009.

Go Arthur !

The Huffington Post December 16, 2009

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-sachs/my-top-ten-oldnew-or-is-i_b_393862.html

10. LOVE - Love Lost (Sundazed). One of the most ambitious and dazzling American bands of the '60s, Love's stock was falling by 1971, when these tracks were recorded for a Columbia album that never materialized. The band members who'd helped to craft masterpieces like 1967's Forever Changes had long since disappeared, leaving leader Arthur Lee with a less subtle and harder rocking crew in its stead. As a result, much of this album sounds like Lee's recently deceased friend Jimi Hendrix -- Lee even slips in a minute or two of Jimi's "Ezy Ryder" into one song. So what makes Love Lost a keeper? For one thing, if anyone has the right to sound like Hendrix, it's Arthur Lee, who was friends with Jimi, and an early musical influence besides. These songs are in the Hendrix mode, but with an exception or two, they're not pastiches or hollow imitations -- and they genuinely rock. For my money, though, the highlight is five gorgeous solo acoustic demos that showcase what a great singer and songwriter Lee was even at this relatively late date.

Free the Love !

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page