Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Johnny's Echols Turn @ Spaceland

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ThomasGalasso Posted - 20/11/2009 : 23:56:20

Last night some friends and I attended Echols and company's show at Spaceland. What a night!

After some amazing opening acts, it was brilliant to see so many Love fans in one room. Johnny was signing autographs as was Mike Randle, and then out of the blue we see Michael Stuart.

Apparently Michael didn't even know the show was happening and decided to attend. It was great to see him share the stage with Johnny who put on a great show, playing some familiar tunes and a newer one (as far as I know) titled America.

Johnny sang and showed some excellent blues vocals on songs such as "Smokestack Lightning", "Revelation", "7&7 Is", among many others. Michael Stuart also showed some amazing skill playing tams on "My Little Red Book" and playing drums on "Can't Explain".

Vince Flaherty made an appearance as well and brought some good vibes. Great show, so much so many people in the audience were brought to tears.

I am very sure Arthur would have been proud, as any Love fan would have been to witness what I witnessed last night.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ThomasGalasso Posted - 25/11/2009 : 00:12:27

No problem in regards to the review, and well gatemouth, maybe we'll meet at another gig soon.

cheers,
Thomas
rocker Posted - 23/11/2009 : 14:42:18
hmmm Thomas...maybe a video cam in the crowd pointing up to the stage????......thx for the review..

gatemouthmoore Posted - 23/11/2009 : 09:21:07
Thomas I think your critique of the show and the people and events surrounding it, were
spot on!

No I wasn't the chap in the scarf, I was the rather nondescript and undistinguished looking gentleman with rather too long gray hair, who was not so well preserved trying his best not to look out of time.

The crowd as a whole seemed much younger than the typical Love gig, though they were genuine Love fans, even the most cursory of observations bore that out, (they knew the songs, sang along, made requests etc.) It gave me a good feeling to think that this music may well live on!
ThomasGalasso Posted - 23/11/2009 : 07:13:19
Yes I did forget there was a riveting performance of Signed DC . The show ended at 1AM or so. I would guess the set was about an hour or close to it. Johnny was super fun as a host and looks well preserved and yes Mike Stuart is the real deal.

And gatemouth which audience member were you if you don't mind my asking here on this forum ? The cat with the scarf?
Joe Morris Posted - 23/11/2009 : 03:25:30
how long of a set was it? btw
gatemouthmoore Posted - 23/11/2009 : 00:19:33
I really hope we get to hear the tape of the Spaceland show, It so reminded me of the original "Love".

When Rusty was out front singing lead, he was trying to recreate Arthur!
though we all love Rusty who did a great job at what he did, the fact remains He was not
Arthur.

What was so special about this show, was that Johnny was Johnny, many of us who knew the group back in the day were so wanting to hear that aspect of the group, that soulful voice the jazz, blues and Spanish jams that were also part of Loves Appeal!

Arthur brought his style, Bryan Brought his, and now Johnny is out-front doing
his "thing" and reminding us why we found this group so endearing in the first place.

One can only hope that this is just the beginning of the re-emergence of a supremely
talented Man taking His "Turn" in the spotlight
boombox Posted - 22/11/2009 : 23:21:30
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid
All I want to know is WHO taped and filmed the show (audience or whatever) and when will we get to download it!!!!

Well, apparently it was 'Dean the Taping Machine', according to Mike's diary!

So, Dean, are you out there???
Joe Morris Posted - 22/11/2009 : 05:08:03
ah the legacy of Bush!

I'm terribly sorry from here in the States to elsewhere - its become clear that the man stank like fish on ice

How he won re election I'll never know.

At least Obama won the Peace Prize - I'm pulling for him, just as I was pulling for Bush

I fear Bush's legacy is only that of war howsoever
gatemouthmoore Posted - 22/11/2009 : 03:03:43
What a wonderful show, I was one of those with tears in his eyes...it brought back the energy,and warm feelings one would have, after watching the original group!

Since they performed America live I'm not putting something out there that shouldn't be, here are a few of the lines, I'm omitting the beginning and the end.

You're policemen of the world in everybodies business, while the people everywhere cry-out what is this...with problems of your own that need so much attention what gives you the right to endless intervention, with whacked out fools shooting up your schools because
nobody told them about the golden rule, and crooked politician playing let's make a deal
even the preacher's trying to see what he can steal in America

A President who begs to be respected, but I don't Know how he ever was elected
he lied to the people sent the soldiers off to war, somebody tell me what this fighting
is for...but now we're at the crossroads and this you better believe, I'd rather be dead
than alive on my Knees, in the land of the free, home of the brave tell me why was it built on the backs of the slaves...America.

The song sounds very much like the early "Love"

Ps:If the rest of Gethsemene sounds this good, they will have something that Arthur and
the guys would be very proud of

caryne Posted - 22/11/2009 : 01:33:05
Yes, Johnny does sing 'Signed DC' beautifully, I remember hearing him do it a few times on the last, Arthurless, 'Love' tour in the UK. I'm glad it's still in the set, it's a great song.
Really hoping this show gets to the UK, it'll be great to see it.
caryne Posted - 21/11/2009 : 19:09:48
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Short is in the ear of the beholder...depends on how long the songs were individually. Along with the opening acts, it was likely a long overall show...and the opening acts made it worth the wait, it sounds.

Any set would be TOO SHORT on a night with Johnny.

Well, I guess it could have been pretty long if they played 'Revelation' in full!! But I was just thinking, when Love played over here a few years back we used to get sets of a couple of hours so that's what I'm used to, that's all.
lemonade kid Posted - 21/11/2009 : 16:37:33
Didn't they play "Signed DC"? I thought that was on the set list....

Short is in the ear of the beholder...depends on how long the songs were individually. Along with the opening acts, it was likely a long overall show...and the opening acts made it worth the wait, it sounds.

Any set would be TOO SHORT on a night with Johnny.

Joe Morris Posted - 21/11/2009 : 15:53:55
One assumes "America" is gonna be off Gethesemene?

was it announced so?

thats cool that Mike turned up. His tambourine prowess would seem to be up there with Davy Jones!

Did he play Arthur's hated tambourine

Thanks for the review man!

is there an official Love channel set up by Diane Lee on Youtube or anything? maybe bits from the show will turn up there for those too far from LA!
caryne Posted - 21/11/2009 : 11:01:36
Are you sure that was all the setlist contained? That's a very short show!
lemonade kid Posted - 21/11/2009 : 05:46:13
Thomas you have us excited! I'm so happy to hear Michael appeared!
He is such a brilliant drummer and getting his due now as one of the best of the best. Michael has not lost a beat....good to hear.

All I want to know is WHO taped and filmed the show (audience or whatever) and when will we get to download it!!!!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page