Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Shadows and Emotions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 20/10/2009 : 11:11:50
We have often noted the influences from which Love were able to forge their unique and exciting sound in mid 60s LA. Arthur himself always underlined the importance of having seen The Byrds at Ciro's in 1965. As for the rest....well, I have just been listening to the compelling first album again and I would imagine that inspiration also came from The Stones, The Yardbirds and The Beatles. One rarely discussed track from that time though is Emotions.....and it has reminded me of just how innovative and influential a guitarist The Shadows' Hank Marvin was.....and is! I know that The Shadows have been a largely British phenomenon....but with luminaries as diverse as Jimmy Page and Neil Young both paying tribute to the group's work on their own formative development, one can see just how wide ranging their legacy has been. And to be on the road again and playing major venues in their 52nd year must be a feat rarely surpassed.

In contrast and in the wider scheme of things, Love were like a shooting star......suddenly appearing, intensely brilliant for a few moments in time......and then gone. The exponential growth from their first to their second album and then from their second to their third, I think must be unmatched in the entire history of popular music. The fact that all this did not meet with commercial success at the time in a curious way, only adds to their mythos. I really do appreciate the opportunity we have here to share our own perspectives on the legacy of all that glorious music...as well as on other intelligent topics. I have always found it to be the best website of its kind and long to see it continue. And so sincere thanks to Torben.......and also to Johnny Echols, for providing us with authentic and fascinating insight of the sort that fans of other groups rarely receive. Now I'm going back into the lounge to play Forever Changes....and then I'm going for a walk....before the rain arrives.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 27/10/2009 : 16:15:11
quote:
Originally posted by johnnylovejoy

Joe, regarding Gethsemene, most of the sketch pads are finished, when
David Angel completes his part, we shall go into the studio and get it
recorded.

Thing's are moving along at a resonable pace, but there are a few
other Love projects that are also on the agenda!

ps: Mums the word!

Interesting story about Love and Butterfly, Johnny.

I've always wondered about the Rothchild brainchild--the Electra Supergroup--Rhinoceros (with Danny W.).....didn't they open for Love a couple times or was it the Doors? I've always loved their first LP but heard they really rocked the house LIVE!! Did you get to groove to them off-stage also?! They were doomed from the start the way they were promoted..much like Moby Grape (though Moby self-destructed on their own).

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Joe Morris Posted - 27/10/2009 : 15:11:38
Wow
David Angel
Its GOT to be good!

Love Lost is due out today btw!
rocker Posted - 27/10/2009 : 13:43:02
Thanks Mr Echols for that heads up on Butterfly and the revelation on "Relevation". I always saw you and Butterfly adding such a different dimensions to "rock" music at the time. I'm not sure what music you grew up on but your "sounds" had to come from somewhere and were just great!
John9 Posted - 27/10/2009 : 10:11:16
Yes, I've always liked Revelation ....... though in fairness, it is one of the tracks I play least often. Whenever I've tried to play it to anyone else, they've found the baroque intro really promising.....but then they soon lapse into disappointment once the R and B workout gets under way. But as we know, if you stick with it, the piece does develop and eventually we hear interesting guitar and woodwind (?) themes. Of course as devoted Love fans, we usually will stick with it......but if you play it to others after they've heard Forever Changes, you're on a loser. At 68 minutes though....... maybe a more appropriate title for that one would be From Genesis to Revelation.....and Back Again!
caryne Posted - 27/10/2009 : 09:03:54
quote:
Originally posted by ruxprncd

Johnny, yer such a tease :). Can't wait to hear what you've got cookin.'

Speaking of which...I've always enjoyed Revelation...it would be incredible to hear the full 68 minute deal...

I've always enjoyed 'Revelation' too, really don't understand why it gets such a hard time but would have loved a 68 minute version, now that's what you call a 'jam'
TJSAbass Posted - 27/10/2009 : 01:15:47
Very exciting to hear of all these projects! Also, I am glad to hear about the upcoming gig at Spaceland. It's been awfully quiet since the tour ended, I was getting worried!
ruxprncd Posted - 27/10/2009 : 00:39:49
Johnny, yer such a tease :). Can't wait to hear what you've got cookin.'

Speaking of which...I've always enjoyed Revelation...it would be incredible to hear the full 68 minute deal...
johnnylovejoy Posted - 27/10/2009 : 00:29:02
Joe, regarding Gethsemene, most of the sketch pads are finished, when
David Angel completes his part, we shall go into the studio and get it
recorded.

Thing's are moving along at a resonable pace, but there are a few
other Love projects that are also on the agenda!

ps: Mums the word!
Joe Morris Posted - 26/10/2009 : 23:50:08
Any release date set for Gethesemene?

johnnylovejoy Posted - 26/10/2009 : 23:38:44
Concerning the Iron Butterfly, Bryan and I were pretty close to
Daryl Deloach and Danny W. when they were part of the line-up.

That version of the Iron Butterfly was a "smokin" group, many times
when we were on the same "billing" we would stand backstage an "dig"
them!

Othertimes several members of Love would make it a point to go hear
them play.

It's too bad that's not the line-up that recorded, not to "dis" the
later group, but the one with Daryl and Danny was exceptional!

Regarding, the song Revelation, what you hear on DaCapo, is not
even in the same leauge as the "real deal" the song we played at Love
"gigs"!

We recorded a sixty eight minute "Live" version of Revelation which
was dynamite, every one was happy with the results, until
Paul Rothschild, ln an attempt to pare the song down so it would fit
on the album, totally destroyed the essence of the work.

He should have edited each solo in order, the way it's done in Jazz
foregone ten minutes of "screaming" which was added later,
(I don't know why?) and left things the way they were recorded,
then maybe the song would have been better recieved.
rocker Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:21:16
john....Regarding the first three records....Personally, I'd love to hear from Mr Echols on how he views them after well 40 something years beacsue they really are love's calim to fame. Really they are absolute gems in the world of rock music. The first you can tell that they went whole hog into the revolution that was occurring between rock, folk and the blues. But the 2nd and 3rd! Sublime stuff because in my view their were going into areas that were their "own" and the songs gave vent to their awesome creativity. Da Capo's beautiful music sowed the seeds for Forever Changes. But if there was one thing though that I wish they could've changed it's the side of "Revelation". Instead of that cut I'd prefer to get more of their songs on the album. I'm not sure but I wonder if they met Doug Ingle from Iron Butterfly in a bar or something at the time when tracks were being put down for Da Capo!....
caryne Posted - 20/10/2009 : 11:32:27
Yes, John, I do agree with you very much about Hank Marvin, I've always thought him, and The Shadows, to be excllent musicians and though I don't have a lot of time (well, any time to be honest) for anything Sir Cliff has done in years, it is great to see Hank and Bruce still performing.

As for your comments on Love, yes, I agree again, it is often those that shine brightly for a short while who then go on to set off the spark of light for others to follow, a fact Johnny has suggested in his recent blog. Many great artists, however, never get the praise they deserve in their own lifetimes so I guess we should be thankful that, at least, in his final years, Arthur got the recognition he deserved.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page