Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Love in 1970 - Decline and Fall

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 11/10/2009 : 11:33:27
When Love arrived in Britain for their first ever tour outside their home country, I think it is true to say that much of their audience was expecting the flower children of Forever Changes. In contrast, what they actually got was a hard rocking, progressive outfit that was adept at jamming interminably on stage....though of course true afficianados already knew of the fine and musically complex work on Four Sail and Out Here. We know from the 1970 live recordings that only two Forever Changes songs were ever included in their setlists....but then I suppose performers were understandably always more interested in showcasing their most recent recordings. In his 2003 comments for the Out There compilation, Arthur explains how his 1970 band had persuaded him to think of Love's first three albums as a 'false start'. I wonder what it really was though that led him astray at such a crucial time. Severe drugs abuse may be one explanation. The influence of Hendrix could well have been another. But by the release of False Start at the end of the year, Love had gone from being amongst rock's greatest innovators to becoming just another heavy band. Their lyrics and arrangements had become simplistic and they were not doing anything that hadn't already been done far better by Cream, Led Zeppelin....or indeed Hendrix himself. And it remains a complete mystery to me.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 16/11/2009 : 21:45:01
was Buck Naked in the Church of the Subgenius (praise "Bob"!)
kdion11 Posted - 16/11/2009 : 19:25:57
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I have Mel playing guitar on an episode of Moral Court I have on video LOL!

I'm trying to decide whether to bother to transfer that to dvdr!

the episode (off ABC TV here in the US) also had my personal hero the Naked Cowboy
(hope he still plays at Times Square!)

KD: And that Naked Cowboy is nothing but a fraud. He's ripping off
the ORIGINAL - Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys from SF. Sadly,
Buck was murdered by a deranged homeless guy in GG Park around 10 years ago or so..........

Free the Cowboys !
Joe Morris Posted - 15/11/2009 : 04:52:42
I have Mel playing guitar on an episode of Moral Court I have on video LOL!

I'm trying to decide whether to bother to transfer that to dvdr!

the episode (off ABC TV here in the US) also had my personal hero the Naked Cowboy
(hope he still plays at Times Square!)
ThomasGalasso Posted - 14/11/2009 : 04:44:36
I think Arthur wrote Beep Beep with Melvan. I can't wait for the day Black Beauty is released.
Joe Morris Posted - 13/11/2009 : 16:54:33
I don't know; I still think "Beep beep" is one of the mans best songs

Did he ever tackle that one live? Scott?
lemonade kid Posted - 12/11/2009 : 17:42:52
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Surely all we need to do to resolve this one is to go to Arthur's own lyrics:

"Once I had a singing group, singing group doggone
Now I've got another group, didn't take too long".

That simple tune and lyric ..from one of my favorite Lee songs... And "Gather Round" fits in at the end of "Love Story" without missing a beat. "Gather Round" is a favorite song for me!!...by any band...of any era.

John9 Posted - 12/11/2009 : 16:53:54
Surely all we need to do to resolve this one is to go to Arthur's own lyrics:

"Once I had a singing group, singing group doggone
Now I've got another group, didn't take too long".
caryne Posted - 12/11/2009 : 08:44:01
It's not a question of 'lightening up', as ZFarrar has suggested, it's just a matter of saying that you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else but no-one, me, you or anyone, can really say something is a 'fact' when it's just an opinion no matter how much you believe it personally.
ThomasGalasso Posted - 12/11/2009 : 04:41:28

The argument that post Forever Changes are essentially Arthur Lee solo records makes a lot of sense to me. Those bands were extremely great players, but as a unit they didn't function with the same swagger, vibe or ethos as the original lineup.

No Bryan, no Johnny for Arthur to react to, or maybe in some cases even against. All of that leads to an entirely organic trip. Not to mention they all started out essentially together.

Baby Lemonade were great players playing Arthur's music basically and when they did make new music together it seemed to be more chaotic than anything else. Love became Arthur the way that The Brian Jonestown Massacre is basically Anton Newcombe.

I agree with ZFarrar and The Blues Singer. Its just one angle but an angle that makes sense to me. I love Four Sail, and Out Here very much but they could have easily been Arthur Lee solo records. They had hints of some influence from Johnny Echols and Bryan MacLean but they were the beginning of a whole new ballgame for Lee and his various bandmates.
bob f. Posted - 12/11/2009 : 03:46:49
Castleblue Records released the EP:" Love On Earth Must Be", with Arthur and Baby Lemonade, 2004.
rainbow in the storm
all i want is you
love me
message to pretty
feathered fish
i have a copy.anyone else?

...what the world needs now...
Joe Morris Posted - 12/11/2009 : 01:11:46
I wonder if theres much Arthur that hasn't surfaced

Theres mention of tracks like "Pinky pinky toes"
& "Seperate the men from the boys" in old issues of the Castle (which also talk of Arthur doing a deal with Creation Records

But I don't think theres much unreleased Arthur that hasn't been heard, unfortunately. Its great theres new stuff on the Love Lost (has anyone else heard the acoustic track by Arthur "For a day"? thats a new one on me

I remember when the New Rose album came out, Arthur was plugging it on WFMU's Music Faucet (oh if I still had the tape!)

He did "Thats the way it goes" and did a short interview

Okay, there was a 4 track cd that came out in 2003 (?) with Arthur Lee songs like "Rainbow in the storm" (which apparently Baby Lemonade wrote? can anyone confirm)

The other songs weren't too memorable, as I recall (I was listening to them on the BBC site) but he did do "Rainbow in the storm" live in Brooklyn at the Warsaw when Love last played there

Gotta say, I'm impressed with Love Lost. Good to hear the band ROCKING OUT

Other unreleased Arthur, still .. theres Real to Reel, outtakes from that album.. Maybe some live Love from their heyday (67/8) will turn up some day (then fans can see how much "Revelation" owes to them doing "Smokestack lightning" live!)

Perhaps the new biography to be published by Jawbone will talk of the pre Love material, any "Great Lost Albums" that might be out there. I remember when the 1st Nick Drake bio came out, it came to light that there was a REALLY RARE album (Interplay One) that Nick played 2nd guitar on

I like the outtakes from the New Rose (Could've been you, etc), certainly - kinda katchy r&b, reminds me of Raydio LOL!

maybe they'll see release one of these years on a New Rose box or something. Who knows? there seems to be a New Rose Box out now (and I had thought the company went bust!)
ZFarrar Posted - 12/11/2009 : 00:55:07
Caryne: It might help if you lighten up, jeez. Thanks Mr Blues Singer. My matter of fact manner is needed here, a little too much shoe gazing going-on. Look BL/Love was tremendous-absolute great players & the closest to the original lineup, Nooney Rickett's guys were likewise very good, as were the other lineups, I am not critical of their musical talent. But they didn't operate as a band as the original lineup did. Bryan was more influential than his song-writing output, he was a huge musical influence on the way Arthur wrote & sang. No one ever replaced Bryan, doesn't mean Arthur didn't have some great songs and I have always favored Vindicator as a different side of AL.

But the bottom-line is Love's unique position and style was compromised once the original band broke-up. They were no longer unique. I applaud the revival of Love that started in the early 90's but besides the Arthur Lee solo album recorded in 1992, how much fresh songs were written or performed? It's just the truth.
caryne Posted - 12/11/2009 : 00:13:35
Mr Blues Singer... I really don't get your last post. I'm not sure anyone is laughing. I certainly think you are entitled to your views and to post here as little or often as you wish. The forum belongs to you and to all of its members.
Mr. Blues Singer Posted - 11/11/2009 : 23:29:24
Pardon my english and hopeyou did have a good laugh. I handover the forum to the people it belongs to. Rust never sleeps
caryne Posted - 11/11/2009 : 23:20:55
This is getting daft, to say the least. All I want to say is I feel it is not right to make the statements that ZFarrar did in a way that implies he is somehow the only person who knows thew truth whilst anyone who disagrees with him is living in an 'Emperor's New Clothes' delusion. He is entitled to his opinion, as is everyone, but I just feel to say 'I guess I'm the only one to say it', as he did, and then make the comments is not really fair when it is only his opinion.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page