Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Love mentioned in book "Sixties Rock"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 07/09/2009 : 23:48:03
I previously mentioned this book when I quoted it on "Hey Joe" which Bryan taught to John Beck of The Leaves, who had the first hit record of it in the spring of 1966, when it made the top 40 in the US.
I didn't notice there was more on Love besides the chapter on "Hey Joe".
The full title is "Sixties Rock- Garage, Psychedelic, and Other Satisfactions", by Michael Hicks on University of Illinois Press.
AL is listed as one of the three best "post Jagger" rock singers who "relied heavily on a throaty, choking sound more portentous than Sky Saxon's."
The other two are Dave Aguilar of the Chocolate Watchband, and Sean Bonniwell of the Music Machine.
Then they're mentioned again in a whole chapter on song endings, first about the ending of "LaughingStock", where they do something the author calls "delamination- ending by stripping away layers already present in the recording. Love did this towards the end of LS, when the players gradually desynchronize, then stop more or less simultaneously-except for the bassist, who continues playing for two seconds."
"The fourth and most complex ending technique is substitution, where the artists end with material completely different from the rest of the music that precedes it."
"Love pioneered this in "Seven and Seven Is"(1966).
The main body of the song is in the key of A (alternating A major and A minor) fast tempo, with subdivisions of the beat strongly articulated by the drums.
At what appears to be the end, Love superimposes onto the dominant chord (E-minor)a recording of a nuclear test blast-seemingly a simple sound effects substitution.
But in its aftermath, they play an instrumental coda- a slow dance in C major, with compound meter, and a generic doo-wop harmonic progression (I-vi-IV-V)unlike anything earlier in the song.
This new music fades over the next twenty seconds."
So if anyone asks you if Love was innovative, tell them about this!
The Beatles copied Love in 1967-68 on their endings to "Flying", "Glass Onion" and "Cry Baby Cry".
Bloody nickers ;' )

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page