Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Nick Drake Dug FC!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 09/08/2009 : 02:00:21
I'm well into a great biography of Nick Drake by Patrick Humphries, and on page 68 he goes over ND's favorite LPs in 1968, and listed are:
Love's Forever Changes
Van Morrison's Astral Weeks
Fifth Dimension's Magic Garden
Unfortunately, there's no index for the book so I can't tell if there are any more references to it yet, but ND's use of strings in some of the concerts he played in college at that point show FC's influence on his music.
A good example is the magical "River Man", which wouldn't be as magical without the great string arrangement by Harry Robinson.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 08/09/2009 : 00:57:48
Right, eerie....Harris was a strong support and influence. But the gospel tinged keyboard style is pretty evident one some,,,especially her last recordings. A great artist takes everything from everyone and makes it their own if they aren;t a hakc--which Judy wasn't!

Look at Dylan.

.Okay. I am now looking at Bob Dylan. Done and DONE!
lemonade kid Posted - 05/09/2009 : 16:44:37
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

LK- I think the real influence on her piano playing was her ex-husband, Bob Harris. He reportedly sounded like Dr. John.
Listen to her five minute intro to "Enchanted Sky Machines" on the live version on "Abracadabra". That didn't come from no "reform school choir".
She was told to hush up the Harris connection because of his reputation as a junkie.
While Joni definitely dug JS (she attended the Heart Food sessions!),Barney Hoskyns said in his recent book "Hotel California" that she supposedly told Geffen that she didn't want any other women recording for Asylum, and tried to get JS off the label.
Art Johnson, the guitarist on "Dreams Come True" was there when JS first signed with Geffen, and Joni was in the waiting room, and they had their first "cautious" conversation.
It would be interesting to ask Joni and Geffen about JS.

Right, eerie....Harris was a strong support and influence. But the gospel tinged keyboard style is pretty evident one some,,,especially her last recordings. A great artist takes everything from everyone and makes it their own if they aren;t a hakc--which Judy wasn't!

Look at Dylan. He soaked up all those great folk blues influences in a matter of months after arriving in NYC, and then became a unique talent all his own.

Artists becomes their best ,by learning from the best.

sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 05/09/2009 : 07:22:05
LK- I think the real influence on her piano playing was her ex-husband, Bob Harris. He reportedly sounded like Dr. John.
Listen to her five minute intro to "Enchanted Sky Machines" on the live version on "Abracadabra". That didn't come from no "reform school choir".
She was told to hush up the Harris connection because of his reputation as a junkie.
While Joni definitely dug JS (she attended the Heart Food sessions!),Barney Hoskyns said in his recent book "Hotel California" that she supposedly told Geffen that she didn't want any other women recording for Asylum, and tried to get JS off the label.
Art Johnson, the guitarist on "Dreams Come True" was there when JS first signed with Geffen, and Joni was in the waiting room, and they had their first "cautious" conversation.
It would be interesting to ask Joni and Geffen about JS.
caryne Posted - 03/09/2009 : 19:59:44
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

18 tracks from OGWT?!

Of course not.....go way back up the line...you'll see "Live From the BBC" or something like that...she did 3 or four songs on OGWT, but BBC has only released The Kiss video clip. I just don't know which songs are from the OGWT. The credits will likely reveal which show each track is from. I just got it.

Ah, that's the problem with long threads!!
lemonade kid Posted - 03/09/2009 : 19:46:37
18 tracks from OGWT?!

Of course not.....go way back up the line...you'll see "Live From the BBC" or something like that...she did 3 or four songs on OGWT, but BBC has only released The Kiss video clip. I just don't know which songs are from the OGWT. The credits will likely reveal which show each track is from. I just got it.

caryne Posted - 03/09/2009 : 19:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

LK- What songs are available on CD from the OGWT?

There are 18 tracks including an interview...there are short intros and audience
rap before each track that give great warmth & insight into Judee, beyond her drug image.

I'll have to read more liner notes to see which of these are from OGWT appearance(s).
The great BBC audio/vid makes me wish that Nick Drake had appeared on the OGWT!!

1 Jesus Was A Cross Maker
2 Lady O
3 The Lamb Ran A way With The Crown
4 Enchanted Sky Machine
5 The Kiss
6 Down Where The Valleys Are Low
7 There's a Rugged Road
8 The Phoenix
9 The Donor
10 Soldier of The Heart
11 Interview (4+ min)
12 Enchanted Sky Machine
13 Down Where The Valleys Are Low
15 The Phoenix
16 Jesus Was A Cross Maker
17 The Kiss
18 Down Where The Valleys Are Low

The repeat performances of some tracks are well worth while and Judee shows that
she never gave a half-hearted performance. Always brilliant, showing off her vocal
and instrumental talents to perfection.

The audio is excellent...BBC did a great job there!

Surely Judee Sill didn't do 18 songs on the OGWT? That was a programme that featured several different artists every week, they only usually did two or three songs on each show. I'm a bit confused here.
lemonade kid Posted - 03/09/2009 : 18:41:21
quote:

LK- What songs are available on CD from the OGWT?

There are 18 tracks including an interview...there are short intros and audience
rap before each track that give great warmth & insight into Judee, beyond her drug image.

I'll have to read more liner notes to see which of these are from OGWT appearance(s).
The great BBC audio/vid makes me wish that Nick Drake had appeared on the OGWT!!

1 Jesus Was A Cross Maker
2 Lady O
3 The Lamb Ran A way With The Crown
4 Enchanted Sky Machine
5 The Kiss
6 Down Where The Valleys Are Low
7 There's a Rugged Road
8 The Phoenix
9 The Donor
10 Soldier of The Heart
11 Interview (4+ min)
12 Enchanted Sky Machine
13 Down Where The Valleys Are Low
15 The Phoenix
16 Jesus Was A Cross Maker
17 The Kiss
18 Down Where The Valleys Are Low

The repeat performances of some tracks are well worth while and Judee shows that
she never gave a half-hearted performance. Always brilliant, showing off her vocal
and instrumental talents to perfection.

The audio is excellent...BBC did a great job there!

lemonade kid Posted - 03/09/2009 : 18:23:41
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

heh heh...I think some took "The Christian Life" from "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" and just ran with it!!! .........

and one word I'll use for that genre..."syrupy"!......

There you go, rocker...forgot about
Sweetheart!"

rocker Posted - 03/09/2009 : 14:17:24
heh heh...I think some took "The Christian Life" from "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" and just ran with it!!! .........

and one word I'll use for that genre..."syrupy"!......
lemonade kid Posted - 02/09/2009 : 21:43:46
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk very good!... I think her song is so unqiue. Who ever talked about Christ then? And I think the only one who I remmeber bringing in a religious motif in song was brian wilson's "God Only Knows" which is I think one of the greatest songs of rock. When I heard the Hollies version I was kind of stunned because they used "Jesus" in the title and the osng was real good. Wha? Religion in rock????? Sill ..maybe the founder of Christian rock?????....

Likely.......Sill was the first--- I generally can't stand Christian ROCK!! Sill's music was based more in the gospel/spiritual music roots...not at all like that "gawd-awful" born-again Christian "rock"....I find the "handle" for that music to be offensive to my rock sensibilities!!!

In the liner notes for the Pet Sounds DCC reissue, Brian writes that he was told "God Only Knows" was the first time God was ever mentioned in a hit rock tune.

>Hey KD....

rocker Posted - 02/09/2009 : 21:23:22
lk very good!... I think her song is so unqiue. Who ever talked about Christ then? And I think the only one who I remmeber bringing in a religious motif in song was brian wilson's "God Only Knows" which is I think one of the greatest songs of rock. When I heard the Hollies version I was kind of stunned because they used "Jesus" in the title and the osng was real good. Wha? Religion in rock????? Sill ..maybe the founder of Christian rock?????....
kdion11 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 20:15:09
[quote]Originally posted by lemonade kid

Free the rest of the songs of the OGWT performance BBC on video!!

KD: Get your own one liners !

Keith "I'll be here all week folks........" D
lemonade kid Posted - 02/09/2009 : 17:29:56
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Wasn't she a hooker?

Her beloved father died when she was very young and her mother remarried...an alcoholic--Kenneth Muse animator of Tom & Jerry...but he encouraged her musical talents. Unable to cope with a troubled home life and being a rebellious youth, she got into the wrong crowds....

She hooked for a short while to feed her drug habit as a teen. Then she was arrested for armed robbery and was sent to reform school/prison. While there, her beloved brother died from a liver ailment; devastated, she quit drugs cold turkey-- on sure will. She vowed to use her musical talent, learned to play gospel & played organ in the prison choir. Hence her gospel tinged piano style......she was not really a born again, she was more of a mystic spiritualist. Joni Mitchell was a big fan and pushed her with Geffen. Sill was realy the first of the Laurel Canyon movement...ladies of the canyon.

Like Drake, she hated to perform...but more because she felt she was a headliner, not an "opening act" talent and also because she often opened for power prog, hard rocking bands whose audiences had no patience for a folkie singing beautiful songs...they wanted to ROCK!!

She was in a series of auto accidents in the 70's-- not on drugs! -- that left her with excruciating back pain injuries--to the point of a disability. Because of her drug history and felonies, she was denied pain medication-- she was forced to find relief thru illegal means and eventually became addicted--again. At one point she was hospitalized where she received a new spinal treatment that gave her a wonderful relief from the pain for a while. I guess you could say she was in a state of ecstasy. Being pain free for the first time in years.... she recorded what was to be her last (unreleased) album. In a burst of creative genius, she recorded ALL eight tracks in one day in a church...in something like eight hours.

Unfortunately, the drugs finally took over and she died of an overdose in '79 at the age of 35

Here's a live version of "Jesus Was A Cross Maker"...recorded at USC and included as a QT video with her last album that was finally released a couple yeas ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3p0mqUTGtY

A great song ...eh, rocker?!!

rocker Posted - 02/09/2009 : 14:29:50
You know I wasn't familiar with Sill and learned much from the posts. One thing I'd like to say. Without a doubt she was a talent. But yet no producer (to my knowledge) apparently other than Geffen took it upon themselves to delve into her a bit more even if she did have "problems". I don't get it but in one way I do and that goes back to the fact that the music biz can suck big time where it just chews people up. It can be unforgiving and stupid. Sill, unfortunately, got "beneath the wheel" and was crushed.

lk...I did not know that that song Jesus Was A Cross Maker was by Sill. Thx for the headsup. For a long time, it's one of my favorites from the Hollies' "Romany" record.
caryne Posted - 02/09/2009 : 11:08:12
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Wasn't she a hooker?

I have no idea about that (not heard it before) but I think she was pretty screwed up in lots of ways (kind of goes without saying) and often said/done things that really did her no good at all. I guess it's sometimes best to forget the character and just concentrate on the music (now where have I heard that before)

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page