Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Book on LA rock scene

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rocker Posted - 06/03/2009 : 14:50:33
Maybe some of you have seen it? "Waiting for the Sun" by Hoskyns..a rock history of LA. I read some excerpts wriiten about Love. An interesting item I picked up is that the writer believed the reason FC didn't register very much at the time was because of what was going on with Arthur. That is it was his fault that the album didn't do better. In my opinion now I think that's a lot of responsibility he's got on him. Just can't see how one guy would affect the sale of the record around the world.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 10/03/2009 : 14:39:59
john9...

You know I think if art is good it gets out and gets spoken about.
FC ultimately got by with word of mouth so to speak. There was no ad campaign, etc etc to "sell" it. If you ask me it makes Arthur and the band's achievement that much better.
rocker Posted - 10/03/2009 : 14:34:28
kdion...I hear you but I still can't see him getting all the weight on him when the record didn't "sell". Now being in a band requires responsibility. Arthur sure pulled his weight and some but what was going on with the other fellows? Maybe they should've challenged Arthur a bit, no? I'm not expert on group dynamics in the band but I'd suggest that that didn't happen. If you ask me, maybe Hoskyns picked up that guys Hultkran's image of Arthur as prophet and messiah and thinks he can do all and has all the answers. That just can't be the case in my opinion.

Free Arthur and give'em a break Barney!
John9 Posted - 10/03/2009 : 09:11:44
In Jay Donnellan's comments for the remastered editions of Four Sail and Out Here, he says that he personally, loved Forever Changes and had taken an acoustic guitar to his first Love recording session He also explains how Arthur managed to lose the band an appearance at Woodstock!

Let's face it - artistic genius and commercial savvy very rarely go well together do they? When you read the different accounts of how Arthur managed to lose his deals with Elektra and Blue Thumb - to say nothing of his later labels - you would think that he had been almost willing himself not to have any record contract at all. But somehow, without that particular trait in his personality, I suspect that we might never had had Forever Changes.

Joe Morris Posted - 10/03/2009 : 05:28:58
Promotion (or lack thereof) would seem to be an issue the band had with Elektra

But then the band didn't really tour..

Not until it was too late, really. Forever Changes would have gone over very well live, even without the strings and brass..

I guess Four Sail was a reaction on Arthurs part - a bold move against the light airy atmosphere of (most of) Forever Changes

Forever Changes doesn't really ROCK.. for the most part..

Arthur said it was cos his Four Sail band didn't like FC, but I don't think it was really so. Even Snoopy acknowledged it was brilliant at the time it came out, and he had been sacked..

Can't see the Four Sail band not liking Forever Changes. Probably cos Arthur didn't know how he was gonna follow up what he saw as his last will and testament!

(Anyone know why Arthur thought he was gonna die at the time? He wasn't THAT old..)
bob f. Posted - 10/03/2009 : 00:21:40
as far as FOREVER CHANGES, LOVE was virtualy absent in promotion.
FOUR SAIL had them touring all over the place. hell, I even caught them in 1969 at the Whiskey a go go soon after the lp release, and it was GOOD! my ears were ringing for days! seen LOVE in 1966 to early for F.C....but i think the Forever Changes era band did not play live, if i'm correct.

...what the world needs now...
bob f. Posted - 10/03/2009 : 00:00:23
rocker, ..."Lazy Days" the version from the BOX SET, is one of my favorite Gram Parsons records! MAN! that record ROCKS HARD! drums-a-chuggin! Gram is RAW!!!! YEAH!!!

Joe Morris Posted - 09/03/2009 : 23:25:18
I think the band was playing live once a month during Four Sail

Still did better than Changes. Go figure!!

Free the live shows!!
kdion11 Posted - 09/03/2009 : 19:10:39
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Maybe some of you have seen it? "Waiting for the Sun" by Hoskyns..a rock history of LA. I read some excerpts wriiten about Love. An interesting item I picked up is that the writer believed the reason FC didn't register very much at the time was because of what was going on with Arthur. That is it was his fault that the album didn't do better. In my opinion now I think that's a lot of responsibility he's got on him. Just can't see how one guy would affect the sale of the record around the world.

KD: Hey Rocker. Well if you are the undisputed leader of the
group, and you absolutely refuse to tour to support the record,
and then the record fails, you can see how Arthur could and should
have taken at least some of the responsibility for this.

Free the blame !
rocker Posted - 09/03/2009 : 14:48:53
and Four Sail...never will forget when I had it on the platter and "I'm With You" came on for the first time..what a gem in rock..that swirly opening and then those beautiful guitar riffs ....a song that never goes away..we all have our favs....that's mine...
rocker Posted - 09/03/2009 : 14:43:53
bob/lk...regarding drummers...bob notes Michael Clarke...I always thought he gave a nice contribution to that "Burrito" sound..kind of a like a chugglin' sound...it's the sound I hear when you put on say 'Break My Mind', 'Lazy Day' or 'Can't You Hear Me Callin'...

and Keith Moon...love that "Overture" on Tommy..man he hits and drives through those things!...
lemonade kid Posted - 09/03/2009 : 14:10:28
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

There's a lot of stuff on AL in that book and other Hoskyns writing. Hoskyns seems to like writing about more obscure rock people.
His new book, "Hotel California", has some interesting stuff on Judee Sill, and really lambastes the Eagles, David Geffen and others involved in the West Coast rock scene of the 1970s.

He credits Geffen and even Joni Mitchell with destroying Sill's career, which I've noted before here, was very similar to AL's.
Her calling Geffen a "little, fat fag" at a live radio concert(years before he came out of the closet) surely didn't endear her to Geffen(she was the first artist signed to Asylum Records, like AL was the first signed to Elektra).

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Judee Sill is such a great one!!!

sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 08/03/2009 : 04:46:50
There's a lot of stuff on AL in that book and other Hoskyns writing. Hoskyns seems to like writing about more obscure rock people.
His new book, "Hotel California", has some interesting stuff on Judee Sill, and really lambastes the Eagles, David Geffen and others involved in the West Coast rock scene of the 1970s.

He credits Geffen and even Joni Mitchell with destroying Sill's career, which I've noted before here, was very similar to AL's.
Her calling Geffen a "little, fat fag" at a live radio concert(years before he came out of the closet) surely didn't endear her to Geffen(she was the first artist signed to Asylum Records, like AL was the first signed to Elektra).
lemonade kid Posted - 06/03/2009 : 23:17:50
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

RINGO will always be my favorite drummer. the "best" is another story, and i like Michael Clark, Mitch Mitchell, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Nick Mason, Michael Stuart, Keith Moon, and the ever ready session cat: Hal Blaine who was on every album in the 60s!

Keltner is great and love his work with Zevon...I left the others to you..love em too. Michael Clarke also had some shining moments, especially on Younger Than Yesterday. I'm listening to The Byrds first in mono and Michael stands out beautifully on "I Knew That I'D Want You"

Another drummer I'm enjoying is Spencer Dryden....right now on the TT --my mono Surrealistic Pillow. Mono especially, brings out a brighter sound....most especially for the drums...cymbals, snare....his driving beat on the toms gave Airplane their distinctive "Airplane" sound, as on "She Has Funny Cars".

bob f. Posted - 06/03/2009 : 22:03:18
RINGO will always be my favorite drummer. the "best" is another story, and i like Michael Clark, Mitch Mitchell, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Nick Mason, Michael Stuart, Keith Moon, and the ever ready session cat: Hal Blaine who was on every album in the 60s!

lemonade kid Posted - 06/03/2009 : 21:30:53
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i see " August" as a close extention of post Forever Changes as possible...into possibilities if that height of Arthur's songwriting and musicianship had continued. I, a drummer myself, am awed by George Suranovich's stuff!

Me too, bob. As a drummer myself, my faves are Michael Stuart-Ware, Ed Cass Cassidy, Levon Helm, Mitch Mitchell, Ringo...how about you, bob??

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page