Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 A House Is Not a Motel Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
goodfelladh Posted - 29/08/2008 : 22:07:39
This will probably be an incredibly simple question for a lot of you folks, but it's one that I've never found a definitive answer to. In the great guitar duel that ensues at the end of A House Is Not a Motel, who exactly are the two guitar players? Obviously I assume that Johnny is one of them... who is the second? Arthur? Bryan? Is it all Johnny just using overdubs? I'd love to finally find this out, as not only is it great guitar playing, but A House Is Not a Motel is my favorite song from the entire Love catalog. It's such a force of a song, particularly coming off the great intro of Alone Again Or.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any clues. I'm to the point right now where I listen to Forever Changes every couple of days, so this question has been nagging at me.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Allan Posted - 05/09/2008 : 16:36:38
Good to see / hear from you johnnylovejoy. We've missed you. Hope all is well and that you'll keep in touch

Allan
rocker Posted - 05/09/2008 : 15:26:47
fred...

Good points there about FC. Yes, it does flow real good. I know FC at times can really touch upon some tough things but when we come to "You Set The Scene", the final cut. I just listen taken in on how everything that the album speaks about gets summed up all in that one outgoing cut which really goes on and on on the fadeout. There's no definitive stop. When that album was made and put together no one can say to me that the stars weren't aligned and led the way.
TJSAbass Posted - 31/08/2008 : 06:51:21
Wow, great to finally know the answer to that! I always pictured Arthur and Johnny playing those dueling guitar parts. How was it done onstage? Or was it ever part of the set? Good to hear from you again, Johnny!
johnnylovejoy Posted - 30/08/2008 : 10:01:10
Hey Tina, thanks for the kind words, We are still plugging away! Let's hope everyone comes out to support Baby Lemonade "here here" Don't stop thinking about tomorrow, for one never knows what the future will bring.
Tina Posted - 30/08/2008 : 07:15:53
I think your information is coming from as reliable a source as it is possible to have there...

Hey johnnylovejoy, hope things are good with you, Wondered if you were able to help answer Steph's question in the recent thread about Baby Lemonade?

http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2039

Mike mentioned the possibility of "special guests" in a recent diary as well - here's hoping!
Fred in Bed Posted - 30/08/2008 : 03:46:13
quote:
Both guitar solos are played by Johnny Echols. The guitar he played on the first solo is a Gibson Les Paul "58" sunburst and the amp is a Vox ac30. The second solo was played on a "1953" Les Paul gold top. Johnny also played acoustic counterpoint,using a "1951" Epiphone Zephir. Word up

And if someone asks you...

Love it. Thanks for the info

And a huge thank you for the man who put his soul into producing something so special.
goodfelladh Posted - 30/08/2008 : 03:23:22
quote:
Originally posted by johnnylovejoy

Both guitar solos are played by Johnny Echols. The guitar he played on the first solo is a Gibson Les Paul "58" sunburst and the amp is a Vox ac30. The second solo was played on a "1953" Les Paul gold top. Johnny also played acoustic counterpoint,using a "1951" Epiphone Zephir. Word up

Thanks for the info, great stuff! I kind of figured that it was Johnny overdubbing, as the tone on the two solos sounded too similar to be anybody else.
johnnylovejoy Posted - 30/08/2008 : 01:53:53
Fred in Bed Posted - 29/08/2008 : 22:22:32
I don't know for sure but I always assumed it was an overdub by Johnny. I agree, it's the position in the running order is perfect. Alone Again Or invites you in then A House... let's you know that while you are welcome, you are entering at your own risk.

I find that the running order of Forever Changes is so perfect that I try not to listen to any of the tracks in isolation, even though they are all gems. Otherwise I feel as though I am diluting the whole package. It would be like putting on a Beethoven symphony and only listening to one movement. I can't think of one other album for which the same would apply.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page