Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Old grey whistle test-

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 10/08/2008 : 05:08:17
I just got done seeing a compilation of performances from this old BBC TV show (Vol.2) and was astounded to see Judee Sill doing one of her songs on it, and was wondering if AL or Love ever performed on OGWT?

Someone here recommended that I buy Judee Sill's "Abracadabra" and after buying it I think I can recommend it to anyone who likes the more folk-oriented side of Love- Brian McLean-type stuff.

Like AL, she did a lot of LSD, and has managed to win the Oh-the-snot-has-caked-upon-my-pants, strangest first eight syllables of a song Award, for beginning a song with "Once I heard a serpent remark", back in the late 60s, early 70s.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 13/08/2008 : 14:02:31
interesting ..never saw this before...anyay i think the wheel's came off the bus after this..then some went into that Geffen inspired combo of the "SHF Band"...McCartney has this quip about if you want a souffle you've gotta scrambled eggs....I think SHF just was scrambled eggs.....
Tina Posted - 13/08/2008 : 08:45:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLIJPcg5rgE&feature=related

Not their finest moment judging by the comments made.
lemonade kid Posted - 13/08/2008 : 04:38:37
Does any one know if Gene Clark ever appeared on OGWT?

He's a bit mad, isn't he.......?

Joe Morris Posted - 11/08/2008 : 00:19:26
I remember that interview (BBC?) being transcribed in an old issue of the Castle

It might even have been bootlegged. Maybe he also played something on that occasion (if I'm not confusing sessions - maybe something like Black Cat Blues from the New Rose album)

sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 10/08/2008 : 23:08:54
Thanks for the link LK!

Typical AL- still crazy after all those years!

Bob Harris did a short intro to the Judee Sill clip that you don't see on the youtube video.

In it, he said that he was shocked at the fact that she looked like a librarian.

Considering she was an ex- junkie, ex-prostitute, ex- jailbird, etc...he didn't expect this proper looking woman with horn-rimmed glasses.

Then he said that she did two tapings at the BBC studio.

At the first taping, she did "Jesus Was a Cross Maker" and other songs from her first LP, and at some point pleaded to the camera (there was no audience) for the people watching to go out and buy her new LP, so she didn't have to open for any of these "snotty little rock bands!"

She wasn't kidding around though, she wound up being dropped from David Geffen's Asylum label because of poor sales and refusing to open up for "loud rock bands".

I also read somewhere online that she "outed" Geffen in an interview and besides Geffen dropping her from his label, he also supposedly told the rest of the industry not to hire her to perform anywhere.

Whether this is true or not is anyone's guess.

One thing I've been trying to find out is JS' second husband (also named Bob Harris), whatever happened to him?

He played with Zappa briefly in the early 70s (there was yet another Bob Harris who played keyboard for Zappa in the 80s)and was said to have produced Joni Mitchell's "Ladies of the Canyon" LP, but I can't find any evidence (online) of that.

Anybody know what became of him?

lemonade kid Posted - 10/08/2008 : 05:43:30
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

I just got done seeing a compilation of performances from this old BBC TV show (Vol.2) and was astounded to see Judee Sill doing one of her songs on it, and was wondering if AL or Love ever performed on OGWT?

Someone here recommended that I buy Judee Sill's "Abracadabra" and after buying it I think I can recommend it to anyone who likes the more folk-oriented side of Love- Brian McLean-type stuff.

Like AL, she did a lot of LSD, and has managed to win the Oh-the-snot-has-caked-upon-my-pants, strangest first eight syllables of a song Award, for beginning a song with "Once I heard a serpent remark", back in the late 60s, early 70s.

This may answer your question about Arthur appearing (ever) on OGWT. A couple funny comments by Bob Harris, too,
a host of the Old Grey Whistle Test show. (see paragraph 3) There were several hosts, of course, but I haven't run across a reference to Love ever appearing on the show.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2004/feb/20/1

Arthur Lee & Love did appear on Later.... With Jools Holland.

And that OGWT Judee Sill appearance can be viewed (on youtube) performing "The Kiss"...she is great!
(several other great Sill songs too on youtube)

trouble comin' everyday.......

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page