Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 RIP John Peel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kirsty Posted - 26/10/2004 : 16:31:20
Sorry a bit off topic but sure he spun a few Love tunes in his time. I will miss him massively. Christmas won't be Christmas without his Christmas mix.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
oldfartatplay Posted - 26/10/2004 : 23:15:53
I really do believe that John Peel was the single most important influence on the music scene (both here in the UK,and over the water) for the last 40 years.I cannot list the numerous bands and artists who he introduced me to,but I distinctly remember first hearing Love's 'The Castle' for the first time on John's pirate show on Radio London,along with the good Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - messages from another world to my,then teenage ears,locked in the confines of a large naval boarding school up on the east coast of England.I've also lost count of the number of times that I have harassed some unfortunate record-shop asssistant while clutching a crumpled piece of paper with the(often mis-heard)details of some obscure track that had leapt out of the radio at me the night before.In this age of 'super-star DJ's',computerised play-lists,and the onward march of the bland,John Peel's show remained a true beacon for experiment,innovation,and fresh ideas - you might not have liked every track that he played,but in every show there were tracks that sneaked in under the radar,along with an astonishing range of musical styles covered (Zulu wellington-boot dancing anyone?).In recent years,I would say that if anything John's shows were getting even better,with long forgotten 78's being played alongside the likes of 'The Baptist Generals' or other little known art-punk bands from around the world.I'm gutted - this is a very sad day.Like many others I feel like I have lost a very close friend.There's only one thing for it - I will have to play 'Trout Mask Replica'very,very loudly!It's what he would have wanted! (For Larry and other ex-pats,go to the BBC web-site for more info,and some moving tributes,including a wonderful piece by Paul Morley)RIP John.
johnbhoy Posted - 26/10/2004 : 22:16:46
Requiescant In Pace, Peeler

Lisbon 1967
Old_Man Posted - 26/10/2004 : 21:59:11
I was stunned when I heard the news on my return home from work, a sad loss indeed.
Gill Posted - 26/10/2004 : 17:37:58
I was really sad to hear about John Peel's untimely death. If it wasn't for his "Perfumed Garden" programme on Radio London I probably wouldn't have heard much of the great music I listened to, include Love of course.

I met him on several occasions during the 60s and 70s and he was a lovely, gentle man. He will be missed.

Love
Gill

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page